Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lossy Compression
Sep 29, 2019

Hooked On A Feeling
Problem description: Many months ago I somehow thought it would be a good idea to configure my router (via built-in admin page) to limit access to the admin page to just my computer's local IP address. I've since had to restart everything, and forgot what IP address that was. Now attempting to access the router admin (after entering credentials) gives me the error, "You are not authorized to view this page!"

I've got ~12 devices connected to the router (wireless and wired), which is assigning local IPs to each device via DHCP. I'd like to manually assign my computer a specific local IP, then adjust that IP until I hit the right one. (start with 192.168.0.100, then .101, .102, etc.).

I've played around with IPCONFIG quite a bit, so far no luck. Even if this is possible, I know it could produce IP collisions. I know I can easily just factory reset the router, but reconfiguring all the wireless connections and whatnot is a PITA. I realize reset is probably inevitable, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Attempted fixes: Tried Googling, everything I'm finding requires that I have access to the router admin in order to change/disable DHCP.

Recent changes: None.

Operating system: Various devices; Win 10, Win 7, etc.

System specs: Homebrew systems, not really relevant. Router is TP-Link AC1750.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShellfishClive
Oct 7, 2019
This first thing it says on their website is "f you have changed the login password, there is no way to find it. You need reset it to factory default and configure it as a new one."

Pretty sure this is the only thing you can do.

Lossy Compression
Sep 29, 2019

Hooked On A Feeling
This is true, but I do know the username/password. The problem is that I enabled that extra layer of security tying the admin to my current (at the time) local IP address. So I can successfully login, but then the router looks at my local IP and says, "Hey, you're not 192.168.0.1XX, access denied!"

I'm hoping someone knows of a way to force Windows to use a specific local IP address, so that I can say, "Hey, as of now this computer is 192.168.0.105," for example. And if .105 still isn't the IP the router is looking for, I'll change to .106, .107 etc. until I get the right one.

It would probably be good for me to just reset the router and take that opportunity to rename/reset all my wifi connections anyways, but I've been holding out to see if I can learn some new tricks from this mistake.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Lossy Compression posted:

This is true, but I do know the username/password. The problem is that I enabled that extra layer of security tying the admin to my current (at the time) local IP address. So I can successfully login, but then the router looks at my local IP and says, "Hey, you're not 192.168.0.1XX, access denied!"

I'm hoping someone knows of a way to force Windows to use a specific local IP address, so that I can say, "Hey, as of now this computer is 192.168.0.105," for example. And if .105 still isn't the IP the router is looking for, I'll change to .106, .107 etc. until I get the right one.

It would probably be good for me to just reset the router and take that opportunity to rename/reset all my wifi connections anyways, but I've been holding out to see if I can learn some new tricks from this mistake.

Yep. Control Panel -> Network and sharing center -> Change adapter settings -> Right-click and pick "properties" -> TCP/IP v4 Properties -> Set IP address as you wish, subnet to 255.255.255.0, Gateway to 192.168.0.1. Leave DNS blank. Hit OK and the effect is immediate. Set your IP to .2, .3, etc. You've got 253 or so addresses to work through. Don't worry too much about IP collisions, once you land on the right IP everything will be back to normal.

Lossy Compression
Sep 29, 2019

Hooked On A Feeling

Scruffpuff posted:

Yep. Control Panel -> Network and sharing center -> Change adapter settings -> Right-click and pick "properties" -> TCP/IP v4 Properties -> Set IP address as you wish

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for!