Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Unless Nintendo has a surprise
This is the game I want more than any this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Play posted:

Played this for quite a bit yesterday, and it's a very, very strange formula. I like so much of what they did but I can't look past one thing.

This game is EASY. Like, insanely easy. I played for a long time hoping it would get harder, and it didn't. It's simply one of the easiest games I've ever played in my life.

But in addition to that, it has some of the most expansive and complicated systems I've ever seen. Which makes it seem like it isn't, in fact, for children. So I don't really know who it's for, even if the VN elements, story, and mech customization are decent to good.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Let me just reassure you that it does get hard, it just takes a really long while. I'd say until practically the end of the first major arc/first game's content. There's just an overwhelmingly ridiculous amount of content so the easy tutorializing part is way the gently caress too long.

Yea I've seen some late game video and it definitely looks like poo poo ramps up in the late game. Which is nice cuz as you mentioned there's an absolute fuckton of systems and customization options available to tinker with.

I'm really enjoying the game too, the mix of VN and fast paced brawler combat combined with mech tinkering is definitely unique. I dig that you can just take a break from the VN elements at any time and hop into some fast paced action.

It's a weird but good game that deserved to have some sort of marketing budget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnD9Ga-U3vc

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Chrono Ark

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256767027/movie480_vp9.webm

Roguelike deckbuilder (yeah, yeah, I know), with the hook being that it's also a party-based JRPG with a lot of story to it. 20 characters, some unlockable, and you can change who you use for each run. Also notable in that it's been in Early Access for about 4 1/2 years and this is the actual 1.0 release.

Very positive reviews, with about 6,800 reviews over time and over 500 reviews recently. Several positive reviews from people with over 100 hours in it, so it looks promising. $18.74 on 24% launch discount.

It also has a swimsuit DLC so, yeah, very JRPG.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ingression

quote:

Ingression is an unforgiving & mind-bending precision platformer where you'll think and platform with seamless portals. Travel to the future to save the past from a tremendous time paradox.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/257020678/movie480_vp9.webm
100% out of 6. 10% launch discount. Free prologue.

Puppet Master: The Game

quote:

This free-to-play online multiplayer game celebrates the series' 30-year legacy. Revisit iconic locations, select from a large roster of playable characters from the movies, and play a variety of online multiplayer game modes, each inspired by the Puppet’s many adventures.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256981843/movie480_vp9.webm
87% out of 727. Free.

mystes
May 31, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

Chrono Ark

Roguelike deckbuilder (yeah, yeah, I know), with the hook being that it's also a party-based JRPG with a lot of story to it. 20 characters, some unlockable, and you can change who you use for each run. Also notable in that it's been in Early Access for about 4 1/2 years and this is the actual 1.0 release.

Very positive reviews, with about 6,800 reviews over time and over 500 reviews recently. Several positive reviews from people with over 100 hours in it, so it looks promising. $18.74 on 24% launch discount.

The art style doesn't appeal to me at all but I like roguelike deckbuilders and I appear to already own it from some humble bundle or something so maybe I should give it a shot

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Astro Pig

quote:

A 90-s inspired lo-fi adventure puzzle platformer about a piglet astronaut and his intelligent ship.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/257019943/movie480_vp9.webm
100% out of 13. 10% launch discount.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
https://store.steampowered.com/app/983870/FOUNDRY/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/257020319/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1714666346

quote:

Build a factory optimized to perfection or an artistic masterpiece in an infinite voxel world. Mine and harvest resources, automate your ever-growing production lines and manage complex systems while researching your way to mechanical mastery in FOUNDRY.
Early Access. 82% positive out of 194.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1746400/The_Foretold_Westmark_Legacy/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/257013086/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1712250220

quote:

Fight to investigate another day in this gothic horror adventure card game. Equip items and relics. Acquire cards and use them wisely to survive what lurks in the darkest corners of town. Take a short and mind-bending dive into the unknown with a cosy horror atmosphere.
Only 43% positive out of 30 currently, but seems to have some positive qualities. Complaints are mainly about timeline errors, difficulty (too difficult), and too much RNG.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
https://mystic-valley-game.itch.io/mystic-valley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efsxIWuF178

quote:

The new game from the creator of TANUKI JUSTICE and AGGELOS!
Immerse yourself in an adventure inspired by 8-bit era classics!

The beautiful and lush lands of the Mystic Valley were once a peaceful place where all beings lived in peace and harmony, but everything changed when an evil being known as Bubluns took over the valley, turning it into a dangerous place full of evil monsters...

But there is still one last hope! Wren, the last warrior in the valley, has set on a journey to gather the five medals of power to defeat Bubluns and set the valley free from its evil influence!

* Explore freely a world full of dangerous enemies and secrets
* Equip yourself with items that will make you more powerful and grant you new skills that allow you to access new areas
* Explore dungeons full of traps and puzzles, and defeat powerful bosses to obtain the 5 Medals of Power

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I asked about Chrono Ark in the Steam thread and have been assured it is horny, but not *creepy*.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It seems like Penny's Big Breakout is pretty good? Kind of surprised I haven't heard more about it here.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

HopperUK posted:

I asked about Chrono Ark in the Steam thread and have been assured it is horny, but not *creepy*.

It's got an upskirt shot of a little anime girl in the trailer. Pretty sure it's creepy.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

StarkRavingMad posted:

Chrono Ark

Do the monsters wear swimsuits?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

CainFortea posted:

It's got an upskirt shot of a little anime girl in the trailer. Pretty sure it's creepy.

I don't *think* that character is a child, but I was merely reporting what I was told. drat.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

HopperUK posted:

I've played about six hours of it now, and aside from one of the characters wearing a bikini top and wielding a chainsaw, there's been nothing sexual at all. Even the friendship conversations with Ms. Chain have just been about how rad of an engineer she is and how much she loves killing poo poo with a chainsaw on fire. Oh and there's some other girl with big boobs in town who keeps wanting to steal my necklace, but there hasn't been anything sexual there aside from her character drawing.

Disclaimer: I don't have all the characters unlocked yet and I did not buy the swimsuit DLC, but at least so far it does not seem creepy. And it's pretty fun so far.

(edit): here is Miss Chain, see if she offends your sensibilities, if not you should be fine

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 4, 2024

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007
I have played chrono ark since early access since I got it in one of the roguelike deckbuilder humble bundles. Have just shy of 80 hours put into it, completed the true ending and a few of the character stories, and I've enjoyed it start to finish. It plays very snappily, all the characters have unique playstyles, and drafting your party is really satisfying when you get a good deck going and just start demolishing encounters. Game probably leans toward the easier side things but does have an expert difficulty, and there are Blood Mist modifiers you can take during a run if you want more challenge (and then there's mods if you want to make it even harder beyond that).

The story, while overall pretty neat, does have some rather dry writing but that's entirely due to the english translation being done by one guy as a volunteer effort, and he's been very quick to fix any issues with the translation as it's reported to him. Game probably has some of my favorite mechanics-as-storytelling moments I've personally ever run into.

tl;dr play chrono ark it rules

re: concerns about creepiness, starkravingmad's spot on in that any sexual content is confined entirely to artwork, does not involve underage characters (i hate that i have to specify this), and effectively doesn't exist as far as the writing goes

e: this also applies to the swimsuit DLC content for the record

JimmyBiskit fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 4, 2024

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Thanks pals. I really do appreciate these forums sometimes. I feel like asking that question in a lot of online spaces would have people leaping down my throat all 'why do you CARE' and it's good to be around people who understand the actual question I was asking.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I played Chrono Ark pretty early on but bounced off hard from the terrible translation. I understand they've revised since then but also the updates kind of overworked one of my older drives (should have uninstalled it sooner lol), so I've been reluctant to reinstall it. Maybe after the 1.0 update it's okay, though.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Chrono Ark is good. Haven't played it in a while because I been waiting for 1.0 so I'll have to give it ago. Also yeah its a roguelike deckbuilder but... it really doesn't play like most of the other games in the genre. It really does feel more like building a deck of actions rather than cards, and ultimately feels more like playing a rpg than another STS-like.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I just found a sort of recent detective game which seems interesting.
Apparently it's a year old but was released in languages other than Korean a week ago.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2128480/Staffer_Case_A_Supernatural_Mystery_Adventure/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/257018826/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1714104518
96% of 1464 positive reviews.

It has a demo of the first two cases. I'll probably check that one out this weekend.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Kinda ballsy to name your new jrpg Chrono ______, I was real excited for a second

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Aggelos is an extremely good Zelda2/wonderboy type game. Total hidden gem. This looks cool, they're doing Zelda 1 now. I wonder if this will get distributed to wider platforms like their other games.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I'm pumped to play front mission 2 after all these years and the port seems good so far but it has some misspellings/typos that are kinda jarring. Like "career" is spelled "carrer" in the loving network menu, so that's one you'll see often, and I've noticed several other spelling errors in my first ~45 mins of playing...which on its own is not a huge issue but makes me concerned for which other aspects of the game may be a bit sloppy.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

free hubcaps posted:

Iirc front mission 2 has never had a NA release right?

Correct; FM2 didn't get a release outside Japan until this remake dropped on the Switch late last year. 1 got a Western release on the DS then the remake that came out a year or two ago, 3 and 4 both got Western releases back in the day, and 5 has never been available outside Japan to date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

ultrachrist posted:

Aggelos is an extremely good Zelda2/wonderboy type game. Total hidden gem. This looks cool, they're doing Zelda 1 now. I wonder if this will get distributed to wider platforms like their other games.

I'm not sure, it's been released independent of their previous publishing partners so it may not.

Just finished up after about 4 hours, at 3:10 on the in-game because I forgot to save before quitting between sessions and had to replay the fifth dungeon and final boss :dumb: It's a fun little 8-bit adventure game with a lot of obvious Zelda inspiration, but also some older Japanese PC titles like Ys and Hydlide, and probably others I'm missing. It gets surprisingly hard by the end with lots of bullets to dodge but never feels unfair; it says I died 20 times but there's probably another dozen in that bit I lost to not saving.

Definitely worth the $5.