Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Was going to post 2001 but that came out just before the MPAA ratings implementation. Obviously every Charlie Chaplin movie is similarly disqualified so what is the best actually g rated film? Babbettes feast? Or are you more of a wall-e fan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

This thread is also a reminder to myself to watch the mirror and the straight story

warcraft_boyfriend_99
Aug 12, 2007

by Pragmatica
Brave Little Toaster (1987) is a really good one, or The Secret of NIMH (1982) - They are G rated while still tackling uncomfortable subjects and not treating the audience like a bunch of drooling idiots. Both are definitely worth a watch.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I viscerally dislike brave little toaster, I find the character designs disgusting. Secret of NIMH is cool tho

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

1968 Planet of the Apes; straight up

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Good movie but released prior to the modern mpaa ratings (November 1968)

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Jenny Agutter posted:

Good movie but released prior to the modern mpaa ratings (November 1968)

Pretty sure it got a G rating on its release if not immediately after.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I'm not counting 2001 so you bet your rear end i'm not counting planet of the apes

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

*gears up for Blockbuster Video's first flame war*

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was gonna say Titan AE (2000) but that's PG apparently so I'm going with Ratatouille (2007). Thank you for coming to my TED Talk I will not be taking questions

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

it's 2001: a space odyssey

Grudgerm
May 4, 2012

by Reene
Candleshoe is a good one

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Dracula Has Risen from the Grave

Candy Darling
Nov 10, 2009
Babe

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Oooh, good one.

If anyone can be bothered to setup something, you can query https://www.filmratings.com/Filmratings_CARA/WebCaraSearch/Service.asmx?op=GetTitleListByYearRatingFullWithPagination

Request is something like
code:
<soap:Envelope xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"><soap:Body><GetTitleListByYearRatingFullWithPagination xmlns="http://cara.org/">undefined<year>2010</year><rating>G</rating><startRow>1</startRow><endRow>100</endRow></GetTitleListByYearRatingFullWithPagination></soap:Body></soap:Envelope>
Anyway, I'll probably say Toy Story 2 but I'll try to find a non-kids movie to make it more interesting.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Does Singin' in the Rain count? It has a theatrical re-release in 1975.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Jenny Agutter posted:

This thread is also a reminder to myself to watch the mirror and the straight story

Please do watch The Straight Story

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I hate Secret of Nihm, because the book was so good and didn't need to use magic to make the story work.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Keith Atherton posted:

Just watched it. What a film, one of the great American road trip movies. Loved it. It was great seeing Lynch's style sneaking through at times even in this Disney movie.

Expired Vitamin
Jul 3, 2017

The Muppets Take Manhattan makes the list for me.

Mary Poppins would also fall in the pre-MPAA category, but now that I have watched it 500 times with my daughter I have grown to like it a lot.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Snoopy Come Home!

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Dracula Has Risen from the Grave

Yup it's this, fun for kids of all ages

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Wall-E is rated G.

Best love story of our time.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
Is it fair to include something that probably *shouldn't* be rated G?
I wanna give it up for 1982's The Last Unicorn which apparently has a G rating despite the dark themes, scary scenes, and three harpy titties. and some tree titties.
It's such a beautiful moody film. The beginning is a bit rough with that singing butterfly setting it up as a babby movie, maybe that's all the MPAA watched before slapping a G on it.
Otherwise, I feel like that movie gets deeper and more beautiful on every rewatch. A small background detail jumps out, an emotion hits harder.
I don't think I can say it's nostalgia-goggles because I never saw it as a child, I was around 16-18 when I finally discovered it. I absolutely should have been "too cool" for it, but I fell in love.

The book is great too! The movie is a wildly good adaptation, especially considering the time! The graphic novel adaptation also slaps!
I hope it's fair to go off on the following tangent, but...
I met the author, Peter S. Beagle at an unannounced, last-minute appearance at Comic-Con 2012, he was such a sweet magical old dude.
It was my first convention and I immediately got frustrated with the whole "pay $100 to get an autograph from an actor and have them pretend to enjoy talking to you for 2 minutes" model and couldn't find anything I actually wanted to do but wander around and look at other people's costumes.
Peter S. Beagle just had a last minute table set up in the artist alley selling copies of the book, DVD, and graphic novel. If you bought something he'd sign it, and give you a slice of the original movie film print. His main goal was trying to drum up interest in a theatrical re-release, which happened like a year later but I never got a chance to go. We had a nice chat, he told me about how he stopped writing the book in the middle for about a year, until his wife convinced him to pick it back up because "you have something special there". When I drew my random film strip from the box I initially pulled a lame strip with just 5 frames of the moon, and I faked excitement but ol' Peter said nah this one sucks here take this one instead. He handed me a different strip of the crowd's reaction shot, looking in at the unicorn in the cage at the circus. Such a cool memory. That film strip and the signed copy of the graphic novel are super prized possessions :3:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

That’s a great story, thanks for sharing! Never seen the film but I’ll try to check it out once scary movie season is over.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

GORDON posted:

I hate Secret of Nihm, because the book was so good and didn't need to use magic to make the story work.

The book spent a good chunk talking about the rats' time in the lab and their journey to sapience, it owns.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Keith Atherton posted:

It’s a hard-G

artism fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 29, 2021

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

tie between striptease and showgirls

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

oh wait i thought you said g string film.

I'm changing my answer to "the frozen ground" starring nicholas cage

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

I thought Jungle Book ripped when I was a kid. Baloo the bear is still an idol of mine.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971). An absolute classic with a great performance by Gene Wilder.

Dr Hot Wheels
Jun 11, 2021

American McGee's Crazy Door
Flubber

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jenny Agutter posted:

Was going to post 2001 but that came out just before the MPAA ratings implementation. Obviously every Charlie Chaplin movie is similarly disqualified so what is the best actually g rated film? Babbettes feast? Or are you more of a wall-e fan?

The Netflix disk sleeve for Barbarella had a typo claiming it was rated G, so I'm going with that. Otherwise, probably something from Studio Ghibli, My Neighbor Totoro possibly.

Or Babe.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

the ghibli film with the post apocalyptic world and the evangelion-thing and the giant bugs

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Much as I love Nausicaa it is a hard PG

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The Love Bug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Probably 'The Lion King'. "Wall-E' is up there too.