Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
theres so many subjects that nobody ever posts a thread about in gbs because theres an abandoned, unused subforum with 10 average users that youre "supposed" to discuss it in. but nobody visits that subforum so that topic basically just doesnt get discussed on the forums at all

imo this is why the forums have been "dead and gay" for like a decade. gbs is no longer the "main forum" at all, its currently nothing more than the junkyard for all the leftover threads that dont fit in any of the abandoned subforums. im guessing people basically see that and get the impression the forums suck and bolt.

imo there should be a rule that any subforum that consistently averages less than like 100 users should just be closed and the topic for that subforum considered merged back into gbs or its parent forum. if were getting new mods imo they should consider this to try and unstagnate the forums

if it seems like it would be too many active threads in gbs just make the default threads per page like 80 or 120.

most of these abandoned subforums could really just be 1 or 2 megathreads in gbs or their parent forum anyway.

thanks i'll have a junior western bacon chee and a four piece nugget.

turn your monitor on

signed, an idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Thanks, idiot! I think you actually have a good point. Here's your burger.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
hello fuckbird, is because they serv as containmny zones for autists who only care to post obsessivly abut those subjects in that subform

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

jimmyjams posted:

theres so many subjects that nobody ever posts a thread about in gbs because theres an abandoned, unused subforum with 10 average users that youre "supposed" to discuss it in. but nobody visits that subforum so that topic basically just doesnt get discussed on the forums at all

imo this is why the forums have been "dead and gay" for like a decade. gbs is no longer the "main forum" at all, its currently nothing more than the junkyard for all the leftover threads that dont fit in any of the abandoned subforums. im guessing people basically see that and get the impression the forums suck and bolt.

imo there should be a rule that any subforum that consistently averages less than like 100 users should just be closed and the topic for that subforum considered merged back into gbs or its parent forum. if were getting new mods imo they should consider this to try and unstagnate the forums

if it seems like it would be too many active threads in gbs just make the default threads per page like 80 or 120.

most of these abandoned subforums could really just be 1 or 2 megathreads in gbs or their parent forum anyway.

thanks i'll have a junior western bacon chee and a four piece nugget.

turn your monitor on

signed, an idiot

agreed

make this post on qcs too

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I agree overall

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
hello again i think that cam off ss a bit rude. sorry

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

I think we should go in the opposite direction, each unique topic its own sub forum!

Finally a safe forum for me to post thread after thread about a weird hair I found on my left nipple without the topics veering off into discussions about the weird hairs on other parts of my body

420 20
Apr 21, 2020
Get rid of the stagnant megathreads

420 20
Apr 21, 2020
Merge pyf back into gbs and fire the pyf mods

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
i love GBS but it wouldn't be a great place for those threads on niche forums where people are engaging in more focused hobbies or discussions

Also I think at this point no on is going to stop you from posting about building a deck or playing poker or whatever in GBS.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

Sitting Here posted:

Also I think at this point no on is going to stop you from posting about building a deck or playing poker or whatever in GBS.

this isnt always the case, but from what i've seen if someone posts a thread about a subject in gbs that has its own abandoned dedicated subforum, the mods will usually end up moving it there where it then gets basically no views or posts

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

you can make whatever thread you want in GBS you weirdo

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Sitting Here posted:

i love GBS but it wouldn't be a great place for those threads on niche forums where people are engaging in more focused hobbies or discussions

I agree overall

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Maybe the "traveling thread" should be used more often, specifically for interesting threads being moved to GBS to get more eyeballs on them.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
actually i have fantasized about trying to have a fun storytelling contest in GBS, the writers down in Creative Convention are very good but it's boring to read the same styles all the time.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
i actually spend so much time in those subforms i forgot gbs existed and, further, that this was a comedy forum

im the problem

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Sitting Here posted:

actually i have fantasized about trying to have a fun storytelling contest in GBS, the writers down in Creative Convention are very good but it's boring to read the same styles all the time.

What an idea
Like a super short story or what?
You make the rules
Goons would do it

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Boohoo there's subforums you dont use!

What should be a rule is Megathreads get closed if the OP isn't updated every 1 to 3 months.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
The musician forum was its best during that time it wasn't a subforum

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Hmm, an Aussie Jim solution

Cherube Goldberg
Nov 15, 2014
There would be too many threads in gbs I think

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Agreed, every time a fun thread would Form it'd be shoveled into a subforum where people didn't care to go and it too away the energy.

The biggest injustice of all being the wh40k thread that was a lot of fun in gbs but then got moved to the loving byob subforum where nobody ever goes except for their own crew chat threads which all suck balls.

BRING BACK WH40 TO GBS!

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Actually you've convinced me, every sub forum should be consolidated down into a single gigantic megathread.
This thread should work, everything can just go here!

So anyway whats everyone's fav fast food joint? I was a nations man myself but reconsidering to give 5 guys a chance at the gold. Also does anyone have experience repairing an ipod mini, after 16 years its finally died on me. And post a picture of your cat itt

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

The problem imo is that all the high-traffic forums have separate megathreads for these topics anyway, because people just want to post with their subforum friends about things without having to go into the scary Other Forums. It’s intensely dumb and I’ve mentioned it in QCS but have been reluctant to harp on it out of fear of being labeled a “QCS regular”

Cherube Goldberg
Nov 15, 2014
I think the signal to noise ratio is something to consider. Like if you ask a question in DIY it might take a week to get a response but it'll be a good one.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Cherube Goldberg posted:

I think the signal to noise ratio is something to consider. Like if you ask a question in DIY it might take a week to get a response but it'll be a good one.

my hilarious GBS jokes are not noise

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

hey it would be cool if there wasnt anything but a general miasma of poo poo gently caress this idea died hard sorry for this entence

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Cherube Goldberg posted:

This. I don't see a problem with consolidating some of the sub forums, but too much and everything will just get lost in GBS.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

We have a Frasier thread, a KotH thread and used to have a Columbo thread in GBS because people don't want to discuss those shows in TVIV which has a p specific culture. We have a games thread here because people don't want to discuss their bad video game opinions in Games. The only thing theres an outright ban on in GBS is politics threads and D&D and CSPAM are two of the most highly trafficked subforums anyway.

In conclusion :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

420 20 posted:

Get rid of the stagnant megathreads

yeah or close 'em after a certain page count or time, if it's an important enough topic that anyone besides the thread regulars would be interested in it it's incredibly dumb to say "Just read the OP from 3 years ago which may no longer apply, or jump to the last page and post blindly" and you can make a new updated thread every now and then