Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bagmonkey)

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

No I'm asking because I don't know if it's true or just something people say to be pedantic and the difference is capricious and/or arbitrary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I'm going to let you guys in on a secret: I don't know what capricious means.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I think it means you are from Caprica, one of the 12 Colonies.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Isn't jail specifically where you're held to await arraignment and then possibly bailed out until trial?

No I'm asking because I don't know if it's true or just something people say to be pedantic and the difference is capricious and/or arbitrary

Kinda, but not exactly. Jail is for shorter term stuff and usually managed by the local authorities, typically at either the city or county level depending on the size of the area. It’s not strictly for people waiting arraignment who couldn’t make bail, but also people doing short sentences (30 days or a few months sort of things, typically under a year or so) will stay in the local jail rather than being sent away to prison.

Prison is for longer term sentences, and usually managed at the state or federal level (Plus the private managed ones for what amounts to modern slave labor :capitalism:). You normally don’t get sent to prison before/during the trial barring something unusual, so it’s overwhelmingly people who were convicted/took deals and are just serving their time.

Keep in mind, you’ll sometimes hear people use “jail” interchangeably, as I believe the clear difference between the two is something of an American colloquialism, and one that’s really only developed/defined relatively recently in language terms.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 3, 2024

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I'm going to let you guys in on a secret: I don't know what capricious means.

it's like how sagittarian means you're a sagittarius

you're saying someone is acting like a capricorn

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

and like how when someone says "you're acting like a virgin" they really mean "you're being such a virgo"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

fartknocker posted:

Kinda, but not exactly. Jail is for shorter term stuff and usually managed by the local authorities, typically at either the city or county level depending on the size of the area. It’s not strictly for people waiting arraignment who couldn’t make bail, but also people doing short sentences (30 days or a few months sort of things, typically under a year or so) will stay in the local jail.

Prison is for longer term sentences, and usually managed at the state or federal level (Plus the private managed ones for what amounts to modern slave labor :capitalism:). You normally don’t get sent to prison before/during the trial barring something unusual, so it’s overwhelmingly people who were convicted/took deals and are just serving their time.

I think there might be another level: county - so you got short term jail - then county lockup - then long term prison.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

redshirt posted:

I think there might be another level: county - so you got short term jail - then county lockup - then long term prison.

Depends on the area. “County” and “county lockup” in some places are the exact same thing with no real difference, some do have them as totally separate.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

TIP posted:

it's like how sagittarian means you're a sagittarius

you're saying someone is acting like a capricorn

It's actually much dumber:

quote:

Capricious
Etymology

Borrowed from French capricieux, from Italian capriccioso, from capriccio.

Adjective
capricious (comparative more capricious, superlative most capricious)

Impulsive and unpredictable; determined by chance, impulse, or whim.

Synonyms: arbitrary, whimsical, fickle
Antonyms: conscientious, rigorous
I almost died in a capricious winter storm.
Stringent rulers are unlikely to act capriciously.

Usage notes

Capricious can describe both a person and the decisions they make.

quote:

Capricco
Etymology

From earlier caporiccio, from capo +‎ riccio, literally “curly head”. People believed that curly hair was a sign for a capricious and unruly character.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 3, 2024

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

goddamn curly haired people always getting into trouble

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

TIP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJD-gVBbkf0

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

That sounds like a Star Trek episode in the making.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TIP posted:

*Throws gold curls in your path, transports

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Yo I heard we're all talking about capricola over here

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I heard we were talking about gabagool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqE7ZxH7BJE

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Will Sasso is so good at playing Gandolfini.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
now that's just cappuccino

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
I tried kava today for the first time cause "kava bars" are a thing now apparently? It's supposed to make you feel "relaxed and euphoric" in a non-alcoholic way. I thiiiiiink it may have had some small relaxing effect? It's hard to say. It didn't make me feel bad anyway. It does taste like drinking grass clippings and it made my tongue go a little numb. Overall a fairly "meh" experience

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

DorkusMalorkus posted:

I tried kava today for the first time cause "kava bars" are a thing now apparently? It's supposed to make you feel "relaxed and euphoric" in a non-alcoholic way. I thiiiiiink it may have had some small relaxing effect? It's hard to say. It didn't make me feel bad anyway. It does taste like drinking grass clippings and it made my tongue go a little numb. Overall a fairly "meh" experience

Even meh, I might look for something to take the edge off, sort of like tea for the brain so maybe this is a candidate but I get nervous with things like this (probably a result of frequent use tho)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK548637/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Then again, the volume of alcohol and caffeine I imbibe is prob not great for me