Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

One of my favorite experiences was trying to eat at Skyline's premier location in downtown Cincinnati and watching some guy get treated for overdosing on a pile of spilled cheese

I thought you meant he was ODing on the cheese itself at first, and was thinking challenge accepted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

euphronius posted:

Canada is also America

Sorry Canadians

As a dual citizen, I'm sitting this one out.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I live two streets from a Popeye's and finally ordered from them several weeks ago. The mac and cheese they served me was a goddamn soup:

Out of the bag:

All the noodles consumed:

Soaked up the soup with the biscuit:

However, :canada:

in my experience popeyes has great spicy fried chicken and the worst loving sides in the national fried chicken chain game

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've never got anything there but the chicken sandwich which is a slam dunk of a find for like $5 or whatever in the modern restaurant world :hai:

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
I liked their beans and rice as a kid, and their biscuits.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
i've heard good things about the biscuits but when i got them they sucked, its possible i got a crap batch.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

BasicLich posted:

i've heard good things about the biscuits but when i got them they sucked, its possible i got a crap batch.

Idk I’m not very picky about biscuits, as long as I have a drink or butter I don’t care how dry they are.

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

One of my favorite experiences was trying to eat at Skyline's premier location in downtown Cincinnati and watching some guy get treated for overdosing on a pile of spilled cheese

how much cheese do you need for an overdose?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

ScreenDoorThrillr posted:

how much cheese do you need for an overdose?

64 slices of American cheese might make you go blind

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Skyline chili rules!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the beans and rice and mashed potatoes with gravy are good. can't forgive them for getting rid of dirty rice

never occurred to me to order mac and cheese, not really a cajun thing. probably just on the menu for little kids

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

It is very greasy cheese

On The Internet posted:

Skyline chili rules!

:hai:

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
i went to cincinnati and all i got was a spilled cheese overdose

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

On The Internet posted:

Skyline chili rules!

I try this get some when I go to that area :buddy:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Skyline is weird and fun. Regional quirks like that are wholesome

Besides I don’t think the actual food is prepared any better or worse than any other fast food diner type place

I haven’t had Gold Star (the other competing chain that’s only in Cincy) to compare with, curious if it’s noticeably different.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I ordered some packaged Skyline chili a bit ago, since I'm not going to Ohio any time soon, and I didn't love it. It had a couple strikes against it - the packaging affected the flavor, and I didn't give it the whole spaghetti + cheese OD treatment. I think you also have to go into it telling your brain it's not the default chili you can get anywhere, the difference in texture and spices is pretty jarring. I could see myself liking it, but I think it'd have to be the fresh version straight from the restaurant.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I ordered some packaged Skyline chili a bit ago, since I'm not going to Ohio any time soon, and I didn't love it. It had a couple strikes against it - the packaging affected the flavor, and I didn't give it the whole spaghetti + cheese OD treatment. I think you also have to go into it telling your brain it's not the default chili you can get anywhere, the difference in texture and spices is pretty jarring. I could see myself liking it, but I think it'd have to be the fresh version straight from the restaurant.

*Airdropping Skyline Chili crates deep into the heart of Texas

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Prom Night in Munchkinville

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

All the Illinois restaurants reminded me of a very aptly named town there, Sandwich, which used to have the best police vehicle design before they repatterned it to remove the comedy potential like a coward:

I've been there a fair number of times, because there is/was a big outdoor flea market every year, which was a lot of fun to browse around. I never actually ate anywhere in town, so I was curious to see if there was anything interesting going on in terms of terrible restaurants. Sadly, they mostly seem to be the usual mix of fast food and mediocre local places, but I did find a few funny reviews along the way.

Route 34 Pub & Grub

China House

Idle Hour Lanes (a faith driven bowling alley)

Come for the fellowship, leave with the covid!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Lol li’l man definitely made her stoop down so she wasn’t taller than him.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Someone’s got an inferiority complex

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Usually trucks like this have way less tread on the tires, must have gotten new ones for the wedding

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Lol li’l man definitely made her stoop down so she wasn’t taller than him.

Faith-hope-destiny looking good in the dress, and Cody very dapper in the suit.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Illinois again. I just feel like we have so much more to learn

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
First, why is there a car inside the saloon?

Second,

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I imagine AARD like Sauron's Eye, except he's only looking for lovely local restaurants

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

is gambling legal in illinois or is it like wisconsin where you can have games but they dont pay money or smth. either way that food is fukkin dire. hopefully the beers are cheap

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

this is what I expect most gamblers eat

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

this is what I expect most gamblers eat

Winners get a tomahawk ribeye at the Council Oaks Steakhouse. Losers, yep.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

:wtc:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Arson Daily posted:

is gambling legal in illinois or is it like wisconsin where you can have games but they dont pay money or smth. either way that food is fukkin dire. hopefully the beers are cheap

There's a legal loophole in WI, at least in my city, where they pay out. I don't know what it is but my friend helped with finances for a bar that had them and he said I'd be very very surprised. People just sit on those machines all loving day at bars and liquor stores and poo poo. None of them talk. It's weird.

Also, all of that food is just :psyduck:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Is it like the Golden Tee bar machine? Ostensibly just a video game you pay 25 cents to play. In reality, a huge gambling enterprise. Golden Tee. Folks lined up to play and gamble.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

I'll have the latchkey kid special

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

redshirt posted:

Is it like the Golden Tee bar machine? Ostensibly just a video game you pay 25 cents to play. In reality, a huge gambling enterprise. Golden Tee. Folks lined up to play and gamble.

No. Video slot machines and stuff. I think.

Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

there's meatless chili, then there's beanless chili

then there's chili with lima beans :barf:

Those are the "hobo beans" mentioned on the menu. It's not meant to be chili.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Pennywise the Frown posted:

There's a legal loophole in WI, at least in my city, where they pay out. I don't know what it is but my friend helped with finances for a bar that had them and he said I'd be very very surprised. People just sit on those machines all loving day at bars and liquor stores and poo poo. None of them talk. It's weird.

Also, all of that food is just :psyduck:

My inlaws are all in the sticks so i've only ever seen them give out tickets. For what, I have no idea, but the seem to be good for something I guess. Im in Nevada where you can play slots in the fuckin Kroger or the Shell station which is also very strange