Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I cannot figure out the SAIN GUI for the life of me. All I want to do is restrict different bot difficulties. So bosses cant spawn as anything less than Hard for example. But I go in there and click things and the boxes go red and sliders appear. No idea what any of it means.

SAIN doesn't control that, that's the job of whatever spawn mod you have installed. SAIN can control what Hard means, but not what bots get spawned with what AI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
I killed Big Pipe and was looking forward to putting his pipe and bandana on display in my Hall of Fame. And they're incompatible?!? What?

How can I not put those there? I'm sad.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Okay, so does anyone using Donuts also notice that scav runs spawns are always the same? I don't know if it's on other maps as well, but I'm running a lot of Scav Interchange and noticed that there were almost static. Like 90% of runs have PMCs in these 4 locations (with Powerstation being literally 100%):

I know that Scav runs have a different preset than other ones, but I didn't expect it to be this static.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Donut has a 'hot spots' system where the enemy spawn chance goes trough the roof to simulate contested spots in pre-defined parts of the maps, like the dorms in Customs, you're probably hitting those, you can adjust that in the F12 menu (And you can also turn the debug markers in there so you can look at what the spawn points are if you tick the advanced settings box)

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Kikas posted:

Okay, so does anyone using Donuts also notice that scav runs spawns are always the same? I don't know if it's on other maps as well, but I'm running a lot of Scav Interchange and noticed that there were almost static. Like 90% of runs have PMCs in these 4 locations (with Powerstation being literally 100%):

I know that Scav runs have a different preset than other ones, but I didn't expect it to be this static.

You’re gonna want looting and questing bots to make them leave their zones and simulate actual players better otherwise it’s just an expansion on how bsg zones the AI

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I cannot figure out the SAIN GUI for the life of me. All I want to do is restrict different bot difficulties. So bosses cant spawn as anything less than Hard for example. But I go in there and click things and the boxes go red and sliders appear. No idea what any of it means.

It is not great. From what I remember once you click a class of bot theres a button you need to hit to expand the adjustable parameters and then you need to open those to move the sliders. Then you have to do this with every bot class you want to change. It sucks but theres probably not a better option since its just adjusting the numbers in the json files for you.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 15, 2024

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Kikas posted:

Also SPT being kinda hard to set up properly and janky.

But it doesn't stop us, I am having the time of my life with this game, SAIN/Donuts/Questing/Looting bots with a bit of fine tuned Realism on top (I was so surprised that there are aspects that Realism makes better for the player instead of being just a massive kick in the dick) and a few QoL mods makes for the best Tarkov experience I've ever had. The bots really work almost like players, and the meta aspects that Realism tunes like more unpredictable traders and flea market make it so you don't just fly through all the content, finding good guns, armors and especially ammo is still exciting while happening often enough to not be frustrating.

I only wish there were more presets for bots when scavving, but that's on me for leaving it on default - I've now run Interchange enough times to know bot placements by heart :v: Gotta switch it up next time.

What positive aspects does the realism mod have? I also thought it was just a bunch of dick kicks

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Umbreon posted:

What positive aspects does the realism mod have? I also thought it was just a bunch of dick kicks

For positive I'd say: changed recoil, totally reworked attachments and stats system with front/rear heavy weapons, stances/readies/point-firing, stamina changes, the 'comfort' stat for loot goblin-ing, bot loadouts and progression.

The kicks in the dick largely stem around the changes to health/healing, tunnel vision and blacking out when under fire, spoiled foods, and trader scarcity.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
I like the realism mod mostly for the changes to ammo/health, you have some actual reasons to use something else that the fanciest most armor piercing round you can, Ultra Nosler is proper scary in that. The healing changes are weird at first but it kinda works in a SP context for me, you get worn down trough the raid instead of the mostly binary "Fully operational or dead" on Live. The spoiled food thing is super dumb tho but he's backtracking on that.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Spoiled food really does make no sense in this setting.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Milk so spoiled it gives you intestinal Shai’hulud.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I started a wipe with realism and I’m not loving it but I’ll probably keep it in my mods just for recoil and progression and balanced enemy HP (I’m over emptying three mags into schturm’s legs). It’s nice to be able to turn just about anything off.

Also is there any interest in dabbling in goon MPT? I’m interested in loving around with it but I’m on comcast and probably wouldn’t make the best host

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

giZm posted:

Spoiled food really does make no sense in this setting.

yep, gently caress the hell out of that, it'd be dire even if this wasn't the game where any shot that doesn't hit your head is magically pulled straight to your stomach

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I try to play a fairly hardcore-ish (ala Pestily's ruleset) run where I only minimally interact with the flea and boy can it be frustrating sometimes. Other times, like just now when I fiiiinally found the last motor for generator 3, which then immediately opened up the upgrades for rest space 3, water collector 3, lavatory 3 and nutrition unit 3, as well as the library? Which I had the items for all of those ready to go? Feels real good man. My junk boxes have room now!!!

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The only non hardcore thing I did was add the gunsmith trader and allow myself to buy off him. I’m not hunting down parts on hardcore gently caress that

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Arrath posted:

I try to play a fairly hardcore-ish (ala Pestily's ruleset) run where I only minimally interact with the flea and boy can it be frustrating sometimes. Other times, like just now when I fiiiinally found the last motor for generator 3, which then immediately opened up the upgrades for rest space 3, water collector 3, lavatory 3 and nutrition unit 3, as well as the library? Which I had the items for all of those ready to go? Feels real good man. My junk boxes have room now!!!

Yeah I'm doing something like that using a mod that turns everything to barter trades only, including the flea. The bots are here to give me guns and ammo and get in the way of my shopping cart.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Kafouille posted:

Yeah I'm doing something like that using a mod that turns everything to barter trades only, including the flea. The bots are here to give me guns and ammo and get in the way of my shopping cart.

Yeah i run the Softcore mod which does (among many other changes) that for the Flea market, I love it.

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer

weekly font posted:

Yeah if you have SAIN installed and havent tweaked the sliders you arent playing with SAIN installed. You can make the AI a bunch of pestilys or a bunch of baby brained meat to go John Wick on after you ate too big of an edible. Or have a spread! They even have options to randomly generate dickheads who extract camp to simulate live.

Nuh uh I’m here for the realistic gunplay, i swear as i sprint through goshan shoving peas and condensed milk into my vest and bag

How do I enable extract campers? I've seriously craved this for awhile lol

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Arrath posted:

For positive I'd say: changed recoil, totally reworked attachments and stats system with front/rear heavy weapons, stances/readies/point-firing, stamina changes, the 'comfort' stat for loot goblin-ing, bot loadouts and progression.

The kicks in the dick largely stem around the changes to health/healing, tunnel vision and blacking out when under fire, spoiled foods, and trader scarcity.

Yeah this. However we disabled food changes and medicine changes in our config, while keeping the player health changes. That actually makes healing items last longer, as each body part has less points to heal. Nice of them to include a detailed configurator instead of having to mess around with json files. I think that trader/flea changes are also good once you disable tiered flea market.

We have Questing/Looting bots as well, gotta tweak the configs I guess. We keep running into braindead bots on Customs tho - if the host dies early, all scav bots keep running in place :v:

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I was watching twitch yesterday and saw Pestily playing the Chinese copycat game, and it looked like a less satisfying version of Tarkov as advertised, but two things I noticed was it had an in game map, and also you could tell who your teammates were. Would this make Tarkov too casual?? Perhaps, but it also would be kind of nice

Then again, I’ll always remember in my like 5th raid ever, during a fight with some guys in the scavtown on woods, I ran around the fence, saw a guy crouching in a little shed building, and charged at him and hip fired him to death. Felt like complete poo poo when I hear my friend let out a long sigh, and just “dude what the hell”. Wouldn’t be possible if they put name tags on your friends.

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 17, 2024

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tetramin posted:

I was watching twitch yesterday and saw Pestily playing the Chinese copycat game, and it looked like a less satisfying version of Tarkov as advertised, but two things I noticed was it had an in game map, and also you could tell who your teammates were. Would this make Tarkov too casual?? Perhaps, but it also would be kind of nice

There's also no friendly fire outside of grenades. I could see it being an easier game to get non-Tarkov friends into but it feels so much worse than Tarkov to play especially because it has the old Tarkov recoil.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021
Friendly fire and squads with randoms are a bad cocktail.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Tetramin posted:

I think the way it handles parties makes it at least very different from Tarkov. In Tarkov large squads incure a coordination penalty, because you don't instantly know where everyone is and whether the person you are aiming at is friend or foe and being at danger of killing them.

ABI removes this penalty, making 4-stack playing the obviously best way to play.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Having no friendly indicators is kind of one of the core mechanics of tarkov. I think a lot of people would be ok with an in game map that doesn’t show your position (since this basically just provides you the QOL of not having to have a map open on a second screen) but adding IFF would be met with justified community screeching.

Playing in a stack is already borderline oppressive and while the comms penalty is definitely a real thing it is nowhere near a “fair trade” for how strong having more guns/eyes/ears and just taking up a larger % of the lobby is. It probably wouldn’t totally kill solo play if they added it to tarkov but it would make it significantly shittier.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
if tarkov had team ui you'd pretty much have to have a separate queue for solos/duos or something. that would also kind of suck because currently a pretty good player is considerably more dangerous than like a four or five stack of bad players. it would be a massive balancing change

amusingly, apparently the way ABI handles team mates is largely the way it is because griefing was an absolutely massive problem in the mobile game, hence you can't shoot team mates and you can't steal their stuff if they die (eg, the extracting with a team mates gear returns it to them)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
as an aside, I want to play like a specifically 5v5v5 (or even 5v5v5v5 mode) on streets. the map is basically designed for something like that with all the strong positions that interlink and provide very strong sight lines and map control. will never happen tho :|

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
I saw a vid the other day that shows ABI also has a really slick end raid recap map that traces the route you traveled on and pops up details about quests or eliminating PMCs or NPCs with what weapon from what distance where you were along the path.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Team UI is an awful idea for Tarkov.

Being in a team is already a huge advantage both in fights and other things like insurance fraud. Having to be careful and communicate so you don't TK is the only challenge.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Having to be careful and communicate so you don't TK is the only challenge.

I still remind my friend of a long ago (before scav karma etc) scav raid when 3 of us went in as a group. Before we started matchmaking I said, "Oh! I'm a mosin scav!"

Many minutes later as we are getting our bearings after loading in he says "Oh! A mosin scav!" and shoots me in the face to take it.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Honestly everybody wearing a Pilgrim is plenty to recognize each other, no need for anything else.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

yeah but nothing says "shoot us in the face" like a group of dudes who all look like they have a Russian knockoff Grimace on their back

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

I get shot in the face anyway, might as well be loud and proud about it.

tjones
May 13, 2005
They're gonna hear you long before they see your pilgrim group most times unless you're ratting. And I dunno if I'd rely on the pilgrim for group PID considering most players shed their packs the moment they think they're about to have to fight it out.

PIlgrims in particular did get me killed more than others before the snow season changes when I'd forget I had one on and would prone to try to lose an attacker. Always a fun time coming to the realization why someone is still lighting me up through 4' of woods variety tall grass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I still want a bigger backpack with a frying pan on the side that makes a clang sound when I run with it. Let me fully embrace my loot goblin mode.