Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Bar Ran Dun posted:

tristeham doesn’t like that I think support of Donald Trump is support of fascism and then thinks that’s an appropriate to do about it.

to be fair it is a conclusion about Trump that is directly resulting from my love of Tillich.

and yet you cannot deny you gently caress, cum in, and fall asleep clinging to boats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

a man need not deny a thing that is neither shameful nor notorious

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

ships

not boats. boats are cargo. the yacht-ees are whole separate thing from unlimited tonnage and horsepower mariners.

I actually kind-of dislike boats bigger than canoes basically until one gets to real ships.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

OH SPIRITS, GODS, AND FEY OF CSPAM AND THE INTERNET I INVOKE THEE

HEAR THIS ACOLYTE’S HUMBLE REQUEST AND ACCEPT THESE GIFTS I HAVE SACRIFICED TO THEE

THERE IS A GREAT EVIL THAT BEDEVILS ME. THE FORM OF THIS EVIL IS THAT OF A BOAT RETARD.

SEND THIS GREAT EVIL AWAY FROM ME AND CSPAM AND BACK TO THE LOWEST PITS OF D&D

EMPOWER MY MAGICKS SO THAT THE GREAT EVIL MAY NEVER AGAIN RETURN

PROTECT US FROM ALL SUBJECT MATTER EXPERTS WHO JUSTIFY THE GENOCIDE IN GAZA

AWAKEN THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN GULLED BY THE LIES OF THIS GREAT EVIL AND HARDEN THEIR HEARTS AGAINST IT

LET BALANCE RETURN TO THE WYCCECRAFTE THREAD.

BEGONE FOUL BOATLIB

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

what is wrong with boats? they seem cool imo

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Yep~ I've got plenty of both planned for this weekend.

Lin-Manuel Turtle posted:

OH SPIRITS, GODS, AND FEY OF CSPAM AND THE INTERNET I INVOKE THEE

HEAR THIS ACOLYTE’S HUMBLE REQUEST AND ACCEPT THESE GIFTS I HAVE SACRIFICED TO THEE

THERE IS A GREAT EVIL THAT BEDEVILS ME. THE FORM OF THIS EVIL IS THAT OF A BOAT RETARD.

SEND THIS GREAT EVIL AWAY FROM ME AND CSPAM AND BACK TO THE LOWEST PITS OF D&D

EMPOWER MY MAGICKS SO THAT THE GREAT EVIL MAY NEVER AGAIN RETURN

PROTECT US FROM ALL SUBJECT MATTER EXPERTS WHO JUSTIFY THE GENOCIDE IN GAZA

AWAKEN THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN GULLED BY THE LIES OF THIS GREAT EVIL AND HARDEN THEIR HEARTS AGAINST IT

LET BALANCE RETURN TO THE WYCCECRAFTE THREAD.

BEGONE FOUL BOATLIB
I confess I'm also confused about this much hatred for boats, I've always found them pretty cool. To look at, if not be on. They do make me seasick sometimes. But I appreciate the enthusiasm and power of your words, plus the request for protection from genocide-justifiers, so I'm in. I'll add my power to this anti-boat rite. :love:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the suez canal boat was a cspammer, please dont invoke the wrath of the divine against fellow goons

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Be careful too with your verbal components of any sort of effective ritual work. For example, BRD already disavowed any fondness for "boats" so the sympathetic link there is tenuous. You don't want to accidentally banish anyone with an appreciation for boats from the thread, boats are very mythologically important. Charon has a boat. Nemty has a boat. Ninurta has a boat. Many people depend on celestial ferrymen, and their associated boats

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Book of Coming Forth By Day, Spell 125 posted:

I have given bread to the hungry, and water to the thirsty, clothes to the naked and a boat to him who was boatless.

https://www.purplemotes.net/2011/10/02/weighing-the-heart-for-the-poor posted:

Including the boatless among the poor may not be merely an ancient Egyptian idiosyncrasy. An ancient Jewish song praising the Lord in times of trouble described persons hungry, thirsty, in prison, sick, and persons doing business on boats caught in storms.[5] Like being boatless, doing business on boats caught in storms seems less universally relevant than being hungry, thirsty, in prison, or sick. However, the ancient Egyptians understood boats to be the vehicles by which gods traveled across the sky and through the underworld. Persons could aspire to voyage with a god in the afterworld, and they worried about evil forces carrying them away in a boat:

quote:

may a place be made for me in the solar bark on the day when the god ferries across

quote:

let me not be carried away in a boat, or be seized violently and taken to the East [6]

Perhaps boats gained more universal significance through their association with the realm of the gods and after-worldly travel.

https://www.purplemotes.net/2011/10/02/weighing-the-heart-for-the-poor posted:

[6] Introductory Hymn to the Sun-God Re and Spell 93. The first is trans. Faulkner (1985) p. 27. The second is from the Budge’s translation of the Papyrus of Ani. That translation more clearly conveys the concern about the boat. Boats figure in many spells in the Book of the Dead.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

there are five distinct types of Boat, of which ships are one. i will exclusively use fictional spacecraft to illustrate

there are Ferries, which serve to toot a character around from adventure to adventure. video game spaceships are this a lot of the time: you dont care that much about the blue falcon or the pleasingly bulbous thing samus aran flies around, but you know they exist because they let the game happen. i guess the tardis is this a lot of the time. rowboats and shuttles. the scale of quiet reflection or a personal conversation

there are Fighter Planes, which are fighter planes. starfuries, colonial vipers, arwings, etc. common af because most space opera was created in the 20th century

there are Houses, which are also trucks and yachts. it can carry a small ensemble of heroes around, and you want the interior to feel like a space that would be livable. the millennium falcon; but sizable things like the liberator or moya often are, functionally, large houses

there are Ships, which have full communities aboard. they function like something on the scale between a small town and a comic book city, and have multiple distinct interior spaces that you use in distinct narrative circumstances. the enterprise.

there are Worlds, which are anything big enough that you will never, ever really know what the whole interior is like, and which have like an entire society on them. usually a place you go to—if it goes to somewhere, well, big day for that somewhere. technically-mobile space stations, peacekeeper command carrier, gsv

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Squizzle posted:

there are five distinct types of Boat, of which ships are one. i will exclusively use fictional spacecraft to illustrate

there are Ferries, which serve to toot a character around from adventure to adventure. video game spaceships are this a lot of the time: you dont care that much about the blue falcon or the pleasingly bulbous thing samus aran flies around, but you know they exist because they let the game happen. i guess the tardis is this a lot of the time. rowboats and shuttles. the scale of quiet reflection or a personal conversation

there are Fighter Planes, which are fighter planes. starfuries, colonial vipers, arwings, etc. common af because most space opera was created in the 20th century

there are Houses, which are also trucks and yachts. it can carry a small ensemble of heroes around, and you want the interior to feel like a space that would be livable. the millennium falcon; but sizable things like the liberator or moya often are, functionally, large houses

there are Ships, which have full communities aboard. they function like something on the scale between a small town and a comic book city, and have multiple distinct interior spaces that you use in distinct narrative circumstances. the enterprise.

there are Worlds, which are anything big enough that you will never, ever really know what the whole interior is like, and which have like an entire society on them. usually a place you go to—if it goes to somewhere, well, big day for that somewhere. technically-mobile space stations, peacekeeper command carrier, gsv

the ferry-fighter distinction is very fluid in storytelling which i think is interesting. we love the p-51 mustang so much that we require its new fictional proxies to fill all the roles of the noble steed

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the Ferry is a kinda fundamental narrative unit: a way to make transit as eventful (or expository) as the story needs. like aboard the enterprise, the turbolift acts as an internal ferry where characters can engage in private interaction during travel between ship-baed settings. the fighter, when present, can fill the need; and the need is v often present

its more interesting imo when the ferry acts like a fighter. a lot of car chases are basically dogfights in their beats

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Squizzle posted:

treeships like the Yggdrasil in hyperion

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Have you actually played F-Zero because the blue falcon is not a spaceship, Captain Falcon's actual spaceship is completely seperate, the Blue Falcon is a race car and the thing that Captain Falcon himself is in practice an accessory to

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Orbs posted:

Yep~ I've got plenty of both planned for this weekend.

I confess I'm also confused about this much hatred for boats, I've always found them pretty cool. To look at, if not be on. They do make me seasick sometimes. But I appreciate the enthusiasm and power of your words, plus the request for protection from genocide-justifiers, so I'm in. I'll add my power to this anti-boat rite. :love:

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Be careful too with your verbal components of any sort of effective ritual work. For example, BRD already disavowed any fondness for "boats" so the sympathetic link there is tenuous. You don't want to accidentally banish anyone with an appreciation for boats from the thread, boats are very mythologically important. Charon has a boat. Nemty has a boat. Ninurta has a boat. Many people depend on celestial ferrymen, and their associated boats

Thanks for support and advice. I have reconfigured the wards to whitelist most boat related things. This is my first dabbling with abjuration, so I am learning as I go.

👁️ (Apotropaic emoji to ward off evil 👿)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Have you actually played F-Zero because the blue falcon is not a spaceship, Captain Falcon's actual spaceship is completely seperate, the Blue Falcon is a race car and the thing that Captain Falcon himself is in practice an accessory to

i was mixing it up w the falcon flyer because a man named captain falcon who uses the falcon flyer to transport the blue falcon to places he can use his falcon punch against blood falcon is too much falconry for my brain to reliäbly sort