Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

My Lovely Horse posted:

"the noble pastime of D&D is one where each group makes their own story" I type while every single D&D group plays Curse of Strahd

Yea, for many groups the shared experience of modules is a highlight. The article is way off on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

hyphz posted:

Yea, for many groups the shared experience of modules is a highlight. The article is way off on that.

"Remember when we all got sucked into the Sphere of Annihilation in the Tomb of Horrors?"

"And we killed Andy so he could never DM anything again and hid his mangled corpse in the bayou?"

"Good times, man. Good times."

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
look man everyone knows what they're getting into when they enter the tomb of horror

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Yea, and everyone can read Tomb of Horrors stories online. That’s the point. I mean, they made Tomb of Horrors bumper stickers FFS. If it was just something a random GM made up it would have no mystique and that GM would just be an rear end.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 3, 2024

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
My favorite thing about Tomb of Horror was that it was created in 1976 shortly after DnD started. Like that was Gygax response to his players

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
The original version was a response to players bragging they could easily beat convention scenarios. It even had a false ending so that groups could figure they’d won, leave the table, and be marked as having failed. But all the modern versions, including the “classic style” prints, are toned down.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 3, 2024

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hollismason posted:

My favorite thing about Tomb of Horror was that it was created in 1976 shortly after DnD started. Like that was Gygax response to his players

I remember as a young callow D&D-crazed youth, in the early 1980s, before it reached cult status, my friend (whose older brothers all played D&D and it had trickled down) put me through the Tomb of Horrors. The thing I remember most was there was a room with seven stone knobs on the wall. I said, "I'm going to try twisting them, pulling them, turning them, whatever."

"But what do you do, to which ones, in what order?"

To my 11 year old mind I already knew this module was total bullshit.

White Plume Mountain (S2) was positioned between ToH (S1) and Expedition to the Barrier Peaks (S3). What a reverse poo poo sandwich. (Of course, I'm probably misremembering White Plume Mountain and it probably sucked, but the artifact weapons seemed cool.)

Edit: Best thing about Tomb of Horrors and Expedition to the Barrier Peaks were the graphic modules you were supposed to fold over and show the players so they could get a look at what they were facing; most of the are was by Erol Otis, IIRC, whose style was awesome.

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 3, 2024

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
wasn't tomb of horrors meant for convention play? like you wouldn't sit and do the whole thing you'd rock up, die, and then go and get a corn dog or something?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
the modern tome of horrors is friggin disneyland....i remember the naddpod crew did like a 12 hour livestream of playing and then didn't even lose a pc. soft

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Farg posted:

the modern tome of horrors is friggin disneyland....i remember the naddpod crew did like a 12 hour livestream of playing and then didn't even lose a pc. soft
Nobody died in Gygax's original run. The game was rigged from the start.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

mellonbread posted:

Nobody died in Gygax's original run. The game was rigged from the start.

I've heard that the main trick to it is whenever you're presented with an apparent choice between two options, both lead to death. You have to look for a third option.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
From what I understand it was basically hirelings and prodding every single surface with a 10-foot pole.

Classic D&D was often "do not engage with the mechanics if possible", but this goes that extra step beyond into "Whatever game it seems like the DM wants to play, reject it."

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I realize its not the standard way people *actually* play D&D and its like, but Tomb of Horrors style "GM vs the Party" just feels like such a miserable way to play. I'm sure some people enjoy the challenge of trying to outsmart eachother though. I, however, just wanna hang with friends and collectively tell a cool story.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
1970s DnD assumed that when you went to go to a dungeon you had dozens of hirelings and other people that would die before you. It was just a different game.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm not against Killer DM style per se, if that's what everyone wants. But I've never played with a Killer DM who wasn't also just a miserable little would-be bully. Oh cool, another pit trap and another monster who looks like the girl who won't go out with you.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I realize its not the standard way people *actually* play D&D and its like, but Tomb of Horrors style "GM vs the Party" just feels like such a miserable way to play. I'm sure some people enjoy the challenge of trying to outsmart eachother though. I, however, just wanna hang with friends and collectively tell a cool story.

Tomb of Horrors isn't actually supposed to be GM vs. party. Module designer vs. party, maybe.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I'd always heard that ToH was custom-designed by Gygax to challenge (i.e., screw over) his veteran playgroup, and that the playgroup actually got through the module without too much difficulty because they very familiar with Gygax's quirks and habit, and were mentally prepared for all the tricks and traps and misdirections. Which is all well and good and probably a lot of fun for all involved, but to then publish that for groups to use outside of that very specific context...yikes.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I appreciate the Tomb of Horrors, not so much as an actual fun thing to do, but as a piece of lore from the earlier days of the hobby, that there were these primordial demigod heroes who could not only clear it, but clear it so effortlessly it was actually a little boring. It's like how you look at the Strait of Gibraltar and hear stories about how Hercules pushes those fuckers into place by hand.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
gonna say thats never been the way ive pictured people playing old d&d modules

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Farg posted:

gonna say thats never been the way ive pictured people playing old d&d modules

you could use more whimsy and delight in your life idk what to tell you

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
NO joie de vivre!!!

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i have more whimsy in my goddamn pinky toe then you can even fathom. you better watch out unless you want to see my don my jesters cap and cast a silly spell that turns you into an Example

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
As I understood it the standard when ToH was not to use a 10 foot pole but to march a bunch of Animate Dead zombies in front of the party.

And whimsy in an RPG? There might the odd game that mentions it on the player side but nobody plays those. Everything must be on your character sheet at the correct level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Asterite34 posted:

I appreciate the Tomb of Horrors, not so much as an actual fun thing to do, but as a piece of lore from the earlier days of the hobby, that there were these primordial demigod heroes who could not only clear it, but clear it so effortlessly it was actually a little boring. It's like how you look at the Strait of Gibraltar and hear stories about how Hercules pushes those fuckers into place by hand.

In college I had the reprinted one from Return to the Tomb, which was literally just the original mod, and I started a tradition of running the mod as a pick-up game at the end of each quarter to let people blow off stress from finals. Allegedly, the tradition still continues, at least as of the last time I talked to the club's advisor.