Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Is there a thread for Manor Lords?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lanor Mords

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

Volmarias posted:

And I would like to remind you that if reaching the heating plant was truly critical, it would be placed within walking distance, or near a cableway that won't have to stop for trains. Poor planning on the committee's part doesn't make for an emergency on mine.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

OK OP updated for steam link and thread thanks.

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]

PatentPending posted:

Yeah, looking at Steam's current very-much-this-thread's-kinda-deal sale, I'm thinking of picking up...

Transport Fever 2 ($22) - pretty Transport Tycoon?

OK well I wouldn’t say I LOVE Transport Fever 2, but on the hand I seem to have played it for 30 hours since picking it up on Tuesday so uh

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there a better train game than Transport Fever 2?

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]
If there is please don’t tell me about it I have a job and need to keep it

E: I have just been declared the Boat King

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

PatentPending posted:

OK well I wouldn’t say I LOVE Transport Fever 2, but on the hand I seem to have played it for 30 hours since picking it up on Tuesday so uh

It's a good time, yeah. The lack of dynamic routing is a bummer but as far as modern takes on TTD are concerned I don't think it can be beaten. The mods are pretty good too. Might be time for me to give it a revisit 🤔

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

:perfect:

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Is there a better train game than Transport Fever 2?

Arguably Workers and Resources, if you don't mind W&R also being a city builder.

I have both and have played both quite a bit, so that's not just me shilling one of my favorite games. TF2 is a bit prettier and more focused on the trains and other transport, but I personally feel like W&R handles two things better. The first is that resource movement feels more consequential to me in W&R. You don't just get an infusion of cash, you build every step from raw materials to processed goods to finished vehicles and products, and if you don't build those things, then you don't have them. It makes things feel more important to me than the standard train game drop things off, get cash, transport more things for more cash loop.

The other thing W&R does well is that routing is dynamic. Sometimes too dynamic; if you're not careful with your setups, you'll find your trains going way farther afield then expected. Shipments are also dynamic. You're generally going to want passenger trains fueling your industries to run on a specific schedule, while goods train will run when full or on a similar trigger. W&R has even implemented distribution offices that will dynamically generate trains based on assigned storage levels, so instead of setting up, say, a steel plant to mechanical goods route you can just tell a distro office to go pick up steel whenever storage is above 50% at the steel plant and below 50% at the goods factory. I really like that, because the whole thing feels more like "real" operations while at the same time letting you the player focus macro scale planning and building. W&R even models the difference between diesel engines needing fuel and electrical routes needing electricity and extra infrastructure built up.

On the other hand, not everyone DOES want a city builder stapled to their train game, and W&R can be a bit tricky to learn. TF2 is also going to have a better train variety, with W&R being more focused on Russian and aligned trains from the USSR era. There are plenty of western trains, but definitely not as much as TF2. This is somewhat fixable with mods, but of course TF2 also has mods, so it's still going to come out ahead in the long run.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Honestly sometimes when I want to mess with obnoxious train systems I load up a creative save of Factorio and just go nuts all over the map.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
a train tourism is really good

still sad the DLC ended being japan only... drat you japan and your real life trains in the dlc ruining my life

idrismakesgames
Nov 4, 2022
So not better than TF2 or W&R which are the two best modern ones.

But I also really like Sweet Transit, and Mashinky.

And then there’s openTTD which is great but a bit less UX friendly than the others mentioned

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Mashinky is probably my favourite toy trains game though I have played the demo of A train tourism maybe 20 times

I’m very very bad at these games though. I think TF2 should be my favourite but I’m impatient with it. Maybe I should bump up my starting year

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O6LfTxb4qo

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I’ve tried so many times to get into Timberborn but it’s fallen flat every time

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

LeFishy posted:

Mashinky is probably my favourite toy trains game though I have played the demo of A train tourism maybe 20 times

I’m very very bad at these games though. I think TF2 should be my favourite but I’m impatient with it. Maybe I should bump up my starting year

I think the earliest 1850 start is a bit too early to get going easily. Most trains in that era are poo poo and any kind of hill will slow them to a crawl. I personally think 1880-1890 is the best period to start in. You can slow the time progression down too if you still want that experience of dealing with steam trains. I find on default the technology will quickly overtake you. I prefer to play on 1/4 speed, but you can adjust that if it's too slow.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I saw some early previews of Workers and Resources where building was really janky. Like the person was struggling to get roads and other networks to connect when they obviously should. That unpleasant feeling of clicking and dragging and having to struggle to find the one particular point the game will let you build has welled up inside me whenever I consider playing Workers and Resources, preventing me from ever giving it a try. Has that issue been fixed? I understand the simulation might be fiddly, which is fine, but is the interface itself still fiddly?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wouldn't say it's ever really been an issue in the sense of "the game can't do it" but it's more that if you build stuff very close together it can struggle with making new connections. You need at least a little bit of space between a road and a building to actually build a tiny strip of connecting road to the building's connection point.

It has gotten more forgiving but fundamentally you do just need to learn to not build stuff directly next to your roads and that you can't build junctions too close together.

I suppose it would be sort of like belt infrastructure in factorio, if you cram everything very close then you might not be able to build the inserters/splitters/whatever you need to make your belts work properly.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah there are certainly some limitations but I think they’re fairly easy to learn and build around and mostly they are “can’t cram a thousand connections extremely close together” “this thing is just too close to a road” etc. There’s not any remaining “what the gently caress this should work” instances that I can think of except for maybe some of the restrictions around how close an at grade rail crossing can be to a road intersection, but if you’re crafty there’s an order of operations that lets you get away with cheating this too, if you really insist on an intersection right next to railroad crossings.

There are a couple tiny annoyances if you’re trying to build absolutely seamlessly: sometimes roads aren’t going to let you make a node (aka an intersection) right where you want it unless you’ve been extremely careful with building on the grid. This means your blocks might have the slightest, tiniest imperfect corner where the road curls just a tiny bit from plum 90 degrees right before the intersection. You can learn ways to handle this, and again, only matters if you’re getting extremely anal about it. There’s a few other little tiny bits like this that’ll pop up if you’re the sort of person into making things perfect with say, Cities Skylines Anarchy/MoveIt.

The only other thing I think is that sometimes there is an order of operations to follow and it can change- I’ve had times where I could not build say, a conveyor over a road - but if I build the conveyor I can easily find the room for a road below it (usually because it needed to shift just a few units away from where the game wanted a support.) There’s times where the opposite is true - and if you place the road first the conveyor effortlessly flies over it, but building after the fact might be blocked (at least for where you want it.)

Again though, most of these are much more annoyances and things you can learn to build around rather than a showstopper, and even further: these are only really problems when you just build crazy dense facilities, really, and there’s not really much reason to put yourself in that situation. If you strongly feel the need to, you’ve just got to spend some time to learn the rules and probably a little extra time on pause to maybe lay out a tight section with a little more tinkering than usual.

I’ll go dig through my screenshots and find some of my more painful/fiddly edge cases of networks and it can probably assuage your fears because they’re all going to be “okay, well that’s possible if I want to do it, but I wouldn’t want to anyway.”

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Mayveena posted:

I’ve tried so many times to get into Timberborn but it’s fallen flat every time

I tried once, but it was just so loving slow.

I'm playing the colonists at the minute and it's kinda the same but more palatable because it's a bit simpler IIRC.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Here's a couple examples of weird networks:

This has to be the magnum opus of "Hard stupid thing to build" and a lot of things that are difficult are going to be compact highway interchanges, but very doable with some patience. This is also wildly overbuilt and limited access highways are almost entirely for my own brainworms rather than ever necessary or even that useful.

This whole city, I should go get more screenshots, but its very tight on networking. I had to do a lot of careful editing here to make sure, for example, a road was long enough between two nodes that it could have a path joined to it, and the roundabout near the train tracks was particularly fiddly, but again, learn the rules and tinker and it becomes a lot easier.

I later found out this was a bad design independent on the nasty networking, but if you look at the roads, paths, and conveyors sort lower-center of the image here you can see there's a few weird curves, none of the intersections are a nice 90 degrees. This is all a compromise because I wanted to fit everything in so close. If I had backed everything up and used more space its easy to clean up - but also still technically possible as you see it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Kin posted:

I tried once, but it was just so loving slow.

I'm playing the colonists at the minute and it's kinda the same but more palatable because it's a bit simpler IIRC.

Hey thanks for mentioning the colonists! I'm going to get back to that today.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I found Timberborne really fun. It's definitely slow to start, but you can ramp up population pretty fast and you can get the unlocks pretty quick once you have food and wood taken care of. I really liked the water management and making it so you can survive any badwater or drought event, but I kind of ran out of steam once I unlocked the second faction and the beaver city was pretty much running on its own, so I think the new update will be good for having incentives to keep going.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i find W&R's building/road placement really rewards you for spending time preparing the site via terrain leveling e.g. doing pads for buildings, berms for highways, etc. like you would do irl to build those things

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Rusty posted:

I found Timberborne really fun. It's definitely slow to start, but you can ramp up population pretty fast and you can get the unlocks pretty quick once you have food and wood taken care of. I really liked the water management and making it so you can survive any badwater or drought event, but I kind of ran out of steam once I unlocked the second faction and the beaver city was pretty much running on its own, so I think the new update will be good for having incentives to keep going.

I feel like that's the biggest issue with Timberborn right now, the game is very fun up until you realize you have the food/water/sickness situation down, and then you're done, you've won, it's all just cherry on top of the sundae after that. Second biggest issue is that the fastest speed mode in the game is still really slow, so you know you've won but you still have to wait ages for a bad tide to try out that new bad tide containment/rerouting mechanism you built, or to get enough resources to fully do the robots thing you're setting up, etc.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mad Wack posted:

i find W&R's building/road placement really rewards you for spending time preparing the site via terrain leveling e.g. doing pads for buildings, berms for highways, etc. like you would do irl to build those things
I think this is the fact that makes it both jank and realistic.

The level-while-you-plop functionality works deceivingly good for placing one building in the middle of nowhere and then completely locks you out of any more builds without a 100ft buffer zone for terrain smoothing.

Meanwhile if you manually level a development before starting to plop you can pack things in like sardines and get max intersections out of road segments.

This sort of unequal order of operations feels absolutely like jank when you are first getting used to it. Why should I need to level a development when every other game keeps things level enough? But I'm not mad at it because if you are building a development in real life and you want to pack things in you also need to grade it before letting the constituents build it out. Or you don't and have little fiefdoms on top of hills with far neighbors and you know what that's a valid choice especially in context of what the game is asking you to build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

Eiba posted:

I saw some early previews of Workers and Resources where building was really janky. Like the person was struggling to get roads and other networks to connect when they obviously should. That unpleasant feeling of clicking and dragging and having to struggle to find the one particular point the game will let you build has welled up inside me whenever I consider playing Workers and Resources, preventing me from ever giving it a try. Has that issue been fixed? I understand the simulation might be fiddly, which is fine, but is the interface itself still fiddly?

There have been three major changes to drawing roads, pipes, etc. that have, imo, fixed this issue:

1. snap to grid
2. smooth curves
3. snap to adjacent drawn networks, so you can easily place roads parallel to other roads, pipes parallel to roads, whatever
4. you can smooth out the, idk what the term is, 'nodes' in a road after it's placed

So, yes, overall the process of building and designing stuff is way, way less fiddly than it used to be.