Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
We already have a million Persona 5 spin offs, why not have one more that's a beat 'em up where Makoto becomes the Mike Haggar to Tokyo's Metro City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Eventually enough Persona-wielding heroes will join the police that the entire force has been replaced with them, solving all systemic issues.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

CullenDaGaDee posted:

We already have a million Persona 5 spin offs, why not have one more that's a beat 'em up where Makoto becomes the Mike Haggar to Tokyo's Metro City.

:hellyeah:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

CullenDaGaDee posted:

Because that would require Atlus to make a GOOD P5 spinoff that's not Strikers.:smug:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You are a slave. Want emancipation?

Too bad, you need to continue being a slave because it is the only way to punish the rich and powerful person who made you a slave. Somehow.

I never really got how that made any sense.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Hellioning posted:

Too bad, you need to continue being a slave because it is the only way to punish the rich and powerful person who made you a slave. Somehow.

It did not.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Its a pretty cool line though

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Hellioning posted:

It doesn't because it's Yaldabaoth telling you to do those things. The "emancipation" that he offers is illusory; it's just stripping people of agency. The only things the real Igor and Lavenza ask of you are destroying Yaldy and smacking sense into Maruki.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Harrow posted:

I think I might be the only person in the world who didn’t start with P5 (I started with Revelations Persona before I knew what an SMT was) but who likes that one the best. Couldn’t tell ya why but I guess I’m a weird mutant.

I think quite a few people on this forum where I think most people are like 30-40 have probably started with the earlier games. I started with 3 in senior year of college when it came out.

4 is probably my favorite, though mostly just because of the vibes/music + when I played it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ytlaya posted:

I think quite a few people on this forum where I think most people are like 30-40 have probably started with the earlier games. I started with 3 in senior year of college when it came out.

4 is probably my favorite, though mostly just because of the vibes/music + when I played it.

I think you parsed the sentence wrong. They were saying that it's unusual for 5 to be the favorite of anyone who didn't start with it. IE: to be an older person who started with the earlier games but still likes 5 better. IE: you are exactly the ordinary person they are comparing themselves to.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
weirdly 5 isn't my favorite but 5r might actually be my favorite

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i am, however, a Persona 4 Hater so that is a big part of it

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I guess 3 might be my favorite if I had played it first. It definitely has things it does better than 5.

4 would not be, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Clarste posted:

I think you parsed the sentence wrong. They were saying that it's unusual for 5 to be the favorite of anyone who didn't start with it. IE: to be an older person who started with the earlier games but still likes 5 better. IE: you are exactly the ordinary person they are comparing themselves to.

Yeah this is what I meant

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I guess 3 might be my favorite if I had played it first. It definitely has things it does better than 5.

Yeah, if I had played 3 first and I had been a teen or young adult when it came out, I'd probably like it a lot better than I do. It might even be my favorite. But I was in my late 30s and jaded as all hell by the time I played it. By that point in my life I had seen other games, movies, tv shows, etc, tell a story similar to P3's (although P3 tells it better than most). I also wasn't really in a place where I needed to learn the game's (genuinely excellent) moral of "life is finite, so enjoy it while it lasts, make connections with people, find your own meaning, and live as if it's your last day on Earth." If those factors had been different, there's a good chance I'd place P3 way above the others myself.

\/\/\/yeah, I love it. I always feel really good after finishing it, even though I'm sad to say goodbye to its characters until my next playthrough.\/\/\/

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 5, 2024

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

4 has major issues for sure but it's still probs my favorite, it nails its vibe, has some extremely compelling stuff in it (people have meme'd Adachi to death but the character just works) and it's honestly paced absurdly well given how long it is.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I admit I liked P3P more than P5R at times but I realize we'll never get a remake of FeMC route and so it goes.

I still struggled to play P3R because of reasons and now I'm waiting for sale for the entire game in a few months.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah to be clear I do love them all and I think they all have strengths that the others don't. P5R is my favorite on balance but I think it's just for purely vibes-based reasons. It's a game that just puts me in a good mood, just pure fun for me pretty much from start to finish. I also don't really get the criticisms about how the Phantom Thieves don't feel like "real friends" or something. I've seen that around a lot but it never really made sense to me.

I'm very aware of its flaws--hell, I am for all of my favorite games, I love weird flawed gems (SaGa Frontier my beloved)--and I do find parts of the story and the clunky translation frustrating. I also wish it was a bit more challenging. Atlus does seem to have difficulty with balancing their rereleases around the new powers they give the player. But as a whole, god I love it.

Not sure I could choose between P3R and P4G for second because they're both also great. Whenever they eventually make a Persona 4 Rerun or something I'll be very excited to revisit it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Clarste posted:

Oh, that makes sense!

I do think it's probably true that the vast majority of current Persona players began with 5, though. This forum would be an exception to the norm specifically due to skewing older than most other internet spaces.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’m nearing the end of P3 Reload. It’s December 8th. I’ve been grinding a bit, just got the Satan Persona. About what level is good to have my team at for Nyx?

I got about this far in Portable forever ago but never beat it. I remember that there were these optional superbosses bosses that showed up in this extra door in the base floor in Tartarus. Am I remembering that correctly? Are they in Reload?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Reaper shows up on any monster floor on Tartarus, just wait a few minutes. I got to level 83 to unlock the theurgy that kills him in one hit. Then I could easily hit the level cap.

The super mega boss is gated behind every Monad Passage (not the random ones). I never beat them and they're not required for Reload's platinum.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I was more referring to the advertising then the actual in game line there, so my bad.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’m nearing the end of P3 Reload. It’s December 8th. I’ve been grinding a bit, just got the Satan Persona. About what level is good to have my team at for Nyx?

I got about this far in Portable forever ago but never beat it. I remember that there were these optional superbosses bosses that showed up in this extra door in the base floor in Tartarus. Am I remembering that correctly? Are they in Reload?

~70s is probably good for Nyx, depending on your personas and the difficulty level of course. The battle isn't particularly difficult, it can just be a loooong one with lots of changing conditions. Prepare for a marathon, not a sprint.

\/\/\/lol\/\/\/

Majorian fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Remember to have charm salt on hand.