Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Also pick your hinges carefully, because taking the drat thing apart to clean it is really loving annoying and can end up eating an entire afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Yeah, some more thought into the proportions and I'll standardize on 30" x 78" doors for the showers, and reduce the transom to 6" or 12", for an overall glass height of 7'-0" or 7'-6" which would prevent the need for a stepladder mostly.

For hinges we've used CRL in our previous bathroom reno and they seem to be pretty good, haven't had any issues keeping them clean so far. Any recommendations of what to avoid?

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Also kind of an interesting read, this probably crazy person has some in depth sauna design stuff if you don't want Finnish people to judge you too harshly.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'll dive down the sauna rabbit hole in not too long. I did dive down it a bit earlier in the design which is where I got some of the ideas, but that seems like a very thorough read.

In the meantime, while things are moving along on site, I started working on sourcing and deciding upon electronic devices and oh my does the rabbit hole go deep.

For router, managed switch, and access points I'm thinking Ubiquiti is the way to go? I want a nice 'one-and-done' setup rather than the hacked together with shoestring and bubble gum that is my current mess of a home network.

Similarly for the NVR/Cams, that is a deep rabbit hole and can't decide which to go with. I'd rather once again go for a packaged "setup and leave it alone" setup, but chatting with some of our IT folks they're tempting me with a roll-your-own NVR like Zoneminder or Shinobi. Been considering HIKVision and Lorex, although both have had issues with their stuff phoning home and have been banned from Gov contracts because of the security concerns. I could island it with a VLAN but would want the functionality of a phone app and push notifications which would require opening it up to world wide web.

So yeah, suggestions for network equipment and POE IP cams? What to buy or avoid? Anything I'm missing from my network topology sketch?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bajaha posted:

Been considering HIKVision and Lorex, although both have had issues with their stuff phoning home and have been banned from Gov contracts because of the security concerns. I could island it with a VLAN but would want the functionality of a phone app and push notifications which would require opening it up to world wide web.

Consider a vlan anyway - if all the cameras can do is talk to the internet and whatever lovely server is out there, they have a low risk of being able to compromise other devices on your network.

I have a bunch of hikvision stuff, and it's all isolated to only be able to talk to the NVR. If it can't reach my PCs, I don't really care what it does.

https://frigate.video/ looks good, I did not love the mobile app support as compared to what I use. I use a rebranded https://www.networkoptix.com/nx-witness ... honestly it works... but there's very limited functionality outside of "record on motion", and it's expensive per-camera.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
My layout is similar and I'm happy with TP link Omada. My router is ER605 with OC200 controller and wifi is from 2x outdoor eap225, 1x indoor eap225. They have a new router with controller and poe built in ER7212PC. I'd recommend that and whatever waps you need.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
As far as the packaged "set it up and leave it alone" cameras, in my experience the big price difference is found in whatever DVR software/app integration it comes with. I've used a couple, QTView comes to mind, and while the cameras were fine trying to review footage or pull data was a ginormous PITA.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

bred posted:

My layout is similar and I'm happy with TP link Omada. My router is ER605 with OC200 controller and wifi is from 2x outdoor eap225, 1x indoor eap225. They have a new router with controller and poe built in ER7212PC. I'd recommend that and whatever waps you need.

I had the OC200 with a bunch of the access points, they were good. I am trying to unload them on facebook marketplace as I now just use the one that telus sent because as I have to touch networking stuff at work, I dont' want to look at it at home.
Maybe check for used ones, I bet shipping from Victoria would be more than they are worth for you to buy mine, but they are probably out there.

I never liked the Ubiquiti stuff, using weird POE and the software was also weird, but again, I didn't want to bring work home and it seemed like work.
I used sophos stuff at work, and it was much easier to set up then the Ubiquiti stuff, but you also have to pay yearly for it which doesn't make any sense in a house.
That all said, the telus stuff is working fine at my house, I have a couple of Cisco CBS220 switches, one Non-POE (fanless) and a POE (constant on fan). The Ciscos are configurable enough I could make vlans etc if I felt like it, plus they have SFP ports if I want them.

Make sure you run extra cables if you need to expand, and maybe conduits if you can.
Who knows what you will want to run in 15 years. I had started running speaker wires in my house, but now have tossed it all for Sonos stuff. Instead of speaker cables, I need power outlets.

Other thing is TVs, I don't like cables being visible from TVs, and they always need goofy cables connected.
When I installed the last TV, I ran a 2" conduit to the TV so I could run whatever weird cable it wanted.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Bajaha posted:

For router, managed switch, and access points I'm thinking Ubiquiti is the way to go? I want a nice 'one-and-done' setup rather than the hacked together with shoestring and bubble gum that is my current mess of a home network.

Similarly for the NVR/Cams, that is a deep rabbit hole and can't decide which to go with. I'd rather once again go for a packaged "setup and leave it alone" setup

Ubiquiti for all.

I have the Unifi Dream Machine Pro, an unmanaged PoE switch (don't need managed for home), Unifi cameras, and their doorbell too. The benefit is that it's easy to set up but with a fair amount of options to say that it's for home use. The Dream Machine Pro serves as router, firewall, NVR (can get a dedicated one from them too), wireless controller and it does a pretty good job of all of them. It stores the video locally but you can also access it remotely via web interface or mobile app - that's what sold me on it, and that there's no licensing.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

So, a few developments.

1. Ubiquiti seems to be way I'll be going as I picked up a new-in-box Dream Machine Pro for 40% off msrp so I'll expand out with them. I do like the doorbell so will likely pick one of those up. Going to wait on getting the rest of the Ubiquiti stuff as there's no rush, Wifi-7 is expected to be released later this year which I think would push down the price of the older hardware or give me the option to go latest and greatest, and unless I find another killer deal I've got no reason to buy and then have it sit waiting.

2. I dove down the camera rabbit hole and expanded my original design of where to have cams and ended up with a solid 13 cameras. Went with a Dahua system including their NVR, which if I don't like too much I can explore the roll-your-own NVR setups with BlueIris or the other suggestions in the thread.

3. Insulation has moved ahead considerably and we now have a building that holds heat!

Starting to look a home inside

Made some minor changes to maximize space in the rooms where it made sense

Depressions for showers are larger than the showers so we have to fill in some spots to bring it level with the rest of the floor.

Some progress in the basement as well, insulation is going up in the floor joist cavities.

Needs a little encouragement to go nicely into the bays, a paint roller on a stick works well for tucking in the sides. I think we'll need to also double the amount of strapping to ensure it all stays nicely in place.

And last but not least, we got the under-garage-storage area insulated with two layers of 1" foam secured in place with plywood fastened to the concrete walls. Should give a nice surface to screw in whatever I feel like into the walls without having to worry. It's a not really conditioned space as its only heat source will be the radiant floor above for the garage.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Bajaha posted:

So, a few developments.

1. Ubiquiti seems to be way I'll be going as I picked up a new-in-box Dream Machine Pro for 40% off msrp so I'll expand out with them. I do like the doorbell so will likely pick one of those up. Going to wait on getting the rest of the Ubiquiti stuff as there's no rush, Wifi-7 is expected to be released later this year which I think would push down the price of the older hardware or give me the option to go latest and greatest, and unless I find another killer deal I've got no reason to buy and then have it sit waiting.

2. I dove down the camera rabbit hole and expanded my original design of where to have cams and ended up with a solid 13 cameras. Went with a Dahua system including their NVR, which if I don't like too much I can explore the roll-your-own NVR setups with BlueIris or the other suggestions in the thread.

3. Insulation has moved ahead considerably and we now have a building that holds heat!

Starting to look a home inside

Made some minor changes to maximize space in the rooms where it made sense

Depressions for showers are larger than the showers so we have to fill in some spots to bring it level with the rest of the floor.

Some progress in the basement as well, insulation is going up in the floor joist cavities.

Needs a little encouragement to go nicely into the bays, a paint roller on a stick works well for tucking in the sides. I think we'll need to also double the amount of strapping to ensure it all stays nicely in place.

And last but not least, we got the under-garage-storage area insulated with two layers of 1" foam secured in place with plywood fastened to the concrete walls. Should give a nice surface to screw in whatever I feel like into the walls without having to worry. It's a not really conditioned space as its only heat source will be the radiant floor above for the garage.

Wifi 7 ubiquiti gear is out now (U7 Pro.)

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Huh, looks like it's a Canada thing then as the Canadian store shows it as coming soon and not yet released but when I look at the US store it's there but sold out.

Not sure if it's some regulatory reason it's not released in the Great white north or if it's just US being a preferential market for Ubiquiti

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Progress!

You may notice there is a double where there was a single wall recently.

Well I'm apparently the type to go through the whole house with a thermal camera and find where we can improve things. Well, this wall was just a single 2x6 wall with R22 batts for an effective R16.2, so to get it closer in line with the rest of the wall assemblies we added another layer of 2x6 for an effective R32. Should prevent the thermal bridging and should be an improvement overall. Still needs batts and the VB applied (previous one needed to be cut out as it would be in a spot that would cause condensation)

We've had the fireplace installers come by and they had a few things they didn't like. We're revising the assembly to have the firebox fully within the conditioned space and a few feed of the chimney to be in the conditioned space as well. We'll wrap the vapour barrier around the fireplace to essentially create a vapour boot around it.

Basement is framed up and you can now see what the floorplan is.

Crawlspace also got a coat of spray foam on the walls

Actually pretty roomy for a crawlspace. More of a hunched-over-walking space.

And some heaters to keep this space toasty.

And garage is getting some insulation so it can be brought up to temp soon. We'll need the space to stain the wood that's going on the outside of the home.

And here's a bonus thermal image.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Theres a surprising lack of insulation on those stairs.
You should consider that.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Speaking of insulation, is there something already under all that gravel in crawlspace or you’re putting poly on top?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

There's still time for insulation of stairs... just you wait.

For crawlspace though, we're doing a full encapsulation so the gravel will get covered with a high density closed cell spray foam to work as a vapour barrier, insulation, and a walking surface. Apparently it's not a normally stocked item so we're waiting for it to come in. Originally planned on rigid foam and a thick poly but with the sloped nature of the crawlspace you never really get the foam to lay nicely so our insulators suggested this option.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Crawlspace has been encapsulated and the sump pumps have been installed and plumbed. They laid down a layer of medium density foam as it conforms really nicely around the gravel and works well for sealing as it expands a decent amount. The high density foam had to go down in two layers as it expands less and you can't apply as thick of a layer without risking it having issues curing. So a bit of a laborious endeavor but it's fully sealed all the way around.

Garage is progressing with insulation as well. By next week it should be insulated and we can start pumping some heat into it.

Interior is coming along as well, additional strapping is in place, electrical rough ins are almost complete for the main floor, plumbing rough ins are done for main floor. It's all coming up Milhouse.

We'll see what next week brings.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
You might even be able to install a sheet of drywall sometime this decade!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've never seen sprayfoam over gravel before. Is that crawlspace going to be heated?

Out of curiosity, does that sump discharge end up in sewer or does it have a external discharge?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Whoa whoa, let's not set unrealistic timelines just yet.

Crawlspace is going to be a conditioned space, it will have its own dedicated HRV and while it won't have a dedicated heat source, it will be conditioned and will get some radiant from the basement floor hydronic system despite the underfloor insulation.

The sumps discharge outside, right at the grove of trees beside the house / behind the garage. Once we get the dry wells in place the pumps should rarely operate, but in the meantime with our unseasonably warm winter we've had to run a temporary pump a few times already.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

My line of work involves reviewing a lot of existing buildings in great detail, and some are remotely located and costly to travel back and forth, so our office has some 360 cameras for generating 3D scans of such spaces so you can virtually walk through them if you missed something on your initial site visit. Also means that I have access to this and can borrow it for personal use.

The camera on a stick outputs this sort of warped image (note the blurred line where the camera has taken a bit of a dive sometime in the past and has a scratch on the lens)

I signed up for a free account with Matterport which helps turn all these skewed images into a fancy 3D model that you can step through and digitally walk-through.

If I had a VR headset I could probably digitally walk through my own home. WELCOME TO THE FUTURE.

Now, onto more normal photos with some updates:

Electrical is moving along. The wiring is nice, neat, and labeled.

I picked up two 42u industrial quality racks for dirt cheap so I couldn't pass them up. I'll probably have all of 10u of equipment, but eh, better to have more space than less I guess.

Wood for the exterior timber features has arrived.

Some of it nice n' BEEFY, on paper it didn't seem so big but in person, oof these are substantial.

The ceiling wood also has arrived and is acclimating to the inside of the house. A rather nice clear pine.

A bunch of sample size tins of stain. We'll be doing a light tone for the ceiling, and a dark tone for the beams and columns.

Beam is in process of being clad with nice birch plywood. The columns will be with birch dimensional lumber since any nics or bumps can then be repaired reasonably easily rather than a plywood which would be a bitch to fix if it gets dinged up.

Oh, and the garage is getting some trim work around the edges.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

More progress!

Garage gets its own panel, and all wiring in the garage is surface mount EMT. I'm very particular about not penetrating vapour and air barriers. Call me nuts but I like the industrial look for a garage space.

Radiant floor piping is getting plumbed in. Cabinets are hidden in the closets for the most part. Should be able to dial these in exactly and then forget about them.

Electrical and Plumbing rough ins are coming along nicely. Only thing holding us up now is the rough-in valves for the showers which are a bit delayed.

Walls have rockwool installed, and *GASP* :siren: DRYWALL :siren: is on site.

And the wood ceiling is coming along. Starting to look like we might actually finish something this year.

Definitely feeling the exhaustion from the amount of choice though. There's sooooo many decisions.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
I really like that planked ceiling with the light raking across it like that, looks nice!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

My last house I had the metal conduit stuff put in the garage for the lights, but the ribbed for pleasure kind - forgetting the proper name right now, so I agree with your industrial garage look!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

tangy yet delightful posted:

My last house I had the metal conduit stuff put in the garage for the lights, but the ribbed for pleasure kind - forgetting the proper name right now, so I agree with your industrial garage look!

If it's the flexible kind, that's usually referred to as armored cable.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Looks great man. I really like your choice on that ceiling aesthetic.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

This might be a bit polarizing, but it's my house so thbbbt

It'll likely go a hair darker once we have the clear coat on the entire ceiling. Definitely excited to see these 'finishing' touches coming together. The red matches the front door surprisingly well and I think it will give the beams a good visual weight contrasting against the light wood ceiling.

Re: armored cable. This comes in a bunch of different flavors (with varying interchangeability depending on how accurate you want to be), AC90, BX cable, Armoured cable, MC cable, or potentially flexible metal conduit with some wire pulled through it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I like the red exposed beams. My childhood home had something similar, and it was a nice contrast.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Fireplace is in it's rightful place! Took a good amount of time to get there, and we got another hiccup with being a bit short on the chimney so it'll be another month before it's fully installed, but still, progress!

And the wood ceiling is all up and has been sprayed with two coats of clear sealant. I think it looks really sharp.

Next up is we have some exterior timber details to give the home that timber framed look.

Those big pieces are getting cut into shape

And that is some big heavy wood

And the first coat of stain is on.

This stuff is getting coated in Sica Cetol 1 then Cetol 23, which depending on what you read online is the best stain to grace the planet or worst than garbage. Time will tell if it was a good call or not, but it was expensive at least... ugh.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is that a true wood burning fireplace?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Yessir, it's an acucraft hearthroom 44 IO wood burning fireplace. It comes with the bits to convert to a gas fireplace but we're very much about burning wood. It's definitely a big boy, can fit a 48" log across and the chimney is a massive 16"ID 18"OD pipe.

It's got outdoor air intakes for the combustion air so it won't create a negative pressure in the house if you burn with the doors open.

Pretty excited to sit by the fire come next winter.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm jelly. That's the best part of going to my folks (well, Mom now :( ) place in Edmonton in the winter.

Out of curiosity, what did your insurance company say? I've heard a few won't even insure wood fireplaces anymore but I don't know if that's true or not. Seems kinda nuts if its a pro installation and up to code.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Not much of anything really, it was just a ticked box to indicate that yes we have a wood burning appliance in the home. Probably increases our rates but eh, adding a home alarm system should offset that increase.

But yeah, install is a bit involved as it has to be WETT certified installation. That's why we have some steel studs near the fire place. It's been a bit of a learning curve and I feel it's a bit on the architect for making things a little too tight.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Timber details are almost all installed. Just a few last pieces to install.

I'm loving how the garage walls turned out. The black details really give it some character.

Shadow gap look without a gap that collects dust. They're T-mouldings that are actually meant for arcade machines but this was a nice use case.

And details on the back of the house are on as well:

Interior was shown off previously but now we have the pot lights installed.

And what I feel is the biggest flex, plumbing in exterior walls with no worry of freezing.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Bajaha posted:

And what I feel is the biggest flex, plumbing in exterior walls with no worry of freezing.

Because of Uber insulation? Like I’m a dumb warm weather goon and all our houses have similar plumbing setups because LOL cold weather never happens. So I don’t get it, but it does explain why the houses I’ve been to in Canada all have the bathrooms in the center of the house.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Yeah, a typical exterior wall in Canada is a 2x6 wall with R22 batt, and a layer of poly stapled to the wall as a vapour barrier. On the new homes the minimums require some exterior insulation to meet the minimum higher insulation values, but in general you avoid putting plumbing in any exterior walls as the plumbing takes up enough room to really compromise the insulation value of the home, or if you do it wrong and put insulation around the plumbing you end up with frozen piping when we get a deep freeze outdoors.

Since we have a super thick wall assembly, we have a 2x6 exterior wall with R22 batt, two 1.5" layers of foam which acts as the vapour barrier, and then an interior 2x4 wall with R14 batt. For the plumbing areas we just omit the interior R14 batt and we reduce our R42 effective wall to an R31 effective wall, which is still well above minimums. Also means there is essentially no vapour boots around any of the receptacles on the exterior walls anywhere in the house. It will be a very airtight house, with the major source of infiltration being the door and window seals rather than poorly sealed penetrations through the air barrier.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Things are moving along at a good pace, the bank is being the bank and their appraiser is stingy so we're in a cash crunch at the moment and WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Just the stress of building I guess.

Trim is up and mesh is on ready for the scratch coat.

In most places at least

We're going to go with a built-in look for the kitchen, so we made a bulkhead that will be above the cabinets.

Entry canopy timbers are being prepared, we still have a little ways to go before it's built but we can prep the lumber now.

The garage is starting to look like a woodshop.

And the soffits are starting to be put and up, and dare I say, they look stunning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

:siren::siren::bisonyes::siren::siren:

DRYWALL

And wet areas get the especial BLUE drywall

And now soffits are done, gutters are on, and we're waiting on a hot day to adjust the fascia to reduce oil canning where we can. Apparently without going to a crazy heavy gauge of metal a bit of oil canning is unavoidable.

And a good reminder why it's best to let the ground settle before you pour a concrete slab. Especially in places with expansive clays. Once things are a bit further along we'll fill and pack down more gravel so a slab on grade will be well supported.