Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I just looked at that site, and it's probably even worse than userbenchmark, which is saying something. I doubt even they would try to claim that the 7700X is a better gaming CPU than the 7800X3D lmao

The 5700u is fine for teleconferencing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

LRADIKAL posted:

I don't see that being claimed there? What benchmark are you basing that on?

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu_ranking-best_gaming_cpu

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Mr. Neutron posted:

According to that site the 7800x3d is the 14th best gaming CPU at the moment while literally every single youtube video I've watched claims it's the best by far.

i was only looking at it as a cheatsheet for encoding support. i never even looked at any of the performance benchmarks they use. my bad. i should have checked that site more instead of just using one of the first hits from my google search on what encoders that specific cpu supported.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

quote:

Which CPU is best suited for computer games? We'll give you the answer in our up-to-date leaderboard. With a gaming CPU, the clock frequency, the intermediate memory (cache) and of course the number of CPU cores and the CPU architecture are particularly important. We tested the following processors in the Geekbench 5 multi-core benchmark, but the popularity of each processor is also included in this list.

Let me translate: "We used a non gaming benchmark then arbitrarily shuffled those results."

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Isn't all of this a difference between the highest average framerate vs tail latency 99th percentile or higher worst frame times? The Intel chips have insanely high clocks and often do put up the highest average framerates, but people tend to care about the worst frame and not the average frame given that "average" performance is good enough across most recent CPUs.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

LRADIKAL posted:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/processors/chipsets/am4.html

Tell us exactly what he has on all fronts. It's pretty hard to offer useful advice on a 400 dollar budget and unknown hardware.

Ok finally got some updates back from him. Good news and bad news

Good news: he’s upped the budget to $650

Bad news: his current cpu is a Ryzen 3 1200, and his PSU is only 500w :negative:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Moving from the US to the EU. I believe all hardware is compatible (with the possible exception of the power supply, but it's 2024, so I'd be stunned if I managed to purchase something that both didn't automatically handle voltage and didn't have one of those little red buttons I vividly remember)

I don't live near a MicroCenter, but I'll be visiting family 20 miles from one the week before I move. There's no reason not to take advantage, right? No trouble with using hardware from the wrong continent?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Moving from the US to the EU. I believe all hardware is compatible (with the possible exception of the power supply, but it's 2024, so I'd be stunned if I managed to purchase something that both didn't automatically handle voltage and didn't have one of those little red buttons I vividly remember)

I don't live near a MicroCenter, but I'll be visiting family 20 miles from one the week before I move. There's no reason not to take advantage, right? No trouble with using hardware from the wrong continent?

When I moved I just had to get a new PSU to wall plug, I think

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Pike posted:

Question:

Is this $270 PC a good live video encoder? (And if not, what is?)

Beelink Mini PC $279.00 (Amazon):

https://www.amazon.com/Beelink-PCIe3-0-SER5-Desktop-Computer/dp/B0BYJDFG5B

Purpose:
  • My wife is a psychotherapist :forkbomb:.
  • We want tele-health therapy clients to have the best possible experience:
    • Sony a6000 mirrorless camera, studio lighting, pro microphone.
  • We want a dedicated computer for these Zoom sessions.

NEEDS:
  • 1920x1080 30fps live video encoding. (Desktop Zoom client or Web-browser WebRTC)
  • Camera input is 1920x1080:30fps HDMI
  • Video & Audio encoding quality are paramount
  • Ethernet port (We don't need wifi)
  • HDMI input for camera
  • One HDMI, DVI, or USB-C monitor output
  • USB port for audio interface
Questions:
  • Is a Ryzen 7 5700U CPU fast enough for "best quality" 1920x1080:30fps [Zoom/browser-encoded-WebRTC]?
  • Would a faster CPU (or powerful RTX GPU) be used by desktop-Zoom/browser-WebRTC, to encode higher quality 1080p h264/h265?
  • Will this thing overheat, throttle itself, and set the house on fire?
Budget:

Up to $2,000

Sony cameras output HEVC (h265) using 4:2:2 chroma subsampling, AMF (AMDs hardware encoder) doesn't support 4:2:2. You'll want an Intel based NUC as QSV does support it, and is generally much higher quality anyway. AMD is currently last place for hardware encode quality. I know 8 cores is gonna be enough to software encode decently, but it's very wasteful and almost all software is going to default to hardware.

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Ok finally got some updates back from him. Good news and bad news

Good news: he’s upped the budget to $650

Bad news: his current cpu is a Ryzen 3 1200, and his PSU is only 500w :negative:

Would look at something like this, the CPU upgrade is going to be insane in literally every game he plays and the 2080ti is good now and overclocks like a champ if he ever wants to go for it. I see a few on ebay for 300 buy it now it shouldn't be that bad to find one.

Did you get a motherboard model? Just to be sure the upgrade is a thing he can do?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D 3 GHz 8-Core Processor ($229.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin King 120 Mini WHITE ARGB V3 64.87 CFM CPU Cooler ($18.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Video Card ($300.00)
Power Supply: MSI MAG A750GL PCIE5 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $636.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-07 00:26 EDT-0400

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

BurritoJustice posted:

Sony cameras output HEVC (h265) using 4:2:2 chroma subsampling, AMF (AMDs hardware encoder) doesn't support 4:2:2. You'll want an Intel based NUC as QSV does support it, and is generally much higher quality anyway.

For clarity, we have been doing this:

Sony A6000->HDMI->[USB-Capture-Device(Elgato Cam Link 4K)]->PC

(Video coming from the camera via HDMI should be unencoded.)

quote:

I know 8 cores is gonna be enough to software encode decently, but it's very wasteful and almost all software is going to default to hardware.

Do you mean "wasteful" of electrical energy, or philosophically? :) (Please note that the computer in question costs $274). Is it possible you meant to write "hardware decoder" instead of "hardware encoder"? My understanding is that Chrome webrtc and native-desktop Zoom currently use h264, and that this Ryzen CPU should be able to encode h264 at a quality that meets or exceeds QuickSync h264 encoding at 1920x1080:30fps.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You only have to check your psu's specs. If it is full range and can do 240v, which is really common now, then you just need a power cable with the right plug on the other end.

Of course the only other thing is warranty on your hardware. Not easy to drive back to MicroCenter when you have an issue, so it may be worth checking everything works before taking it abroad.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Moving from the US to the EU.

Nothing to add just huge congrats, love to see a goon on their glow up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ISawAPuddyTat
Jan 17, 2024
At long last I experience the cutting edge of PC gaming.

https://imgur.com/a/wGTnegd