Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009
My partner is a ceramic artist. Over the course of a few firings, their kiln has stopped getting to temperature. The most recent bisque firing didn't reach cone 05 before the controller errored out (I don't think the error was recorded before the kiln was powered off, unfortunately).
They got the kiln second-hand and didn't get all of the documentation.

Our budget doesn't currently have the money to hire a kiln technician to come fix it, and even if we were apparently it isn't the model that folks are familiar with in this region (it is an L&L JD 230 electric kiln, and the local shop seems to mostly stock/service Skutt) but I'm very technically inclined and have access to a couple of very well appointed makerspace/fabrication labs, and am familiar with high-voltage safety procedures.

Does anyone here have a good resource for troubleshooting and repairing kilns? Based on the serial number I am going to guess it is 15 years old. I've found a troubleshooting guide and a manual for a much newer version of the kiln, which look like a good starting point, but if there are better resources I'd love to know about them. Books are welcome if they're good and also available!

Once I get it back up and running I'm tempted to see if I can update the controller to something with at least an informational remote display--I've built my own sous vide machines in the past and the fundamentals aren't that different. It looks like there are a few projects out there to use a raspberry pi as a new controller, though I'd want a well-established design with a community and good failsafes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
I've been taking pottery classes at a nearby studio for about 3 months and have gravitated towards hand building mostly teawares. (cups, bowls, lidded jars, etc) I'm starting to get back some work im happy with and I'm looking for a good banding wheel for home use. They have older shimpo banding wheels that are absolutely perfect. Many online stores carry them but they seem to be out of stock or they only have one model or shipping is very expensive. They seem overpriced on amazon. Can anyone recommend a good online store for these or a good alternative to shimpo?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I’ve only seen them secondhand on marketplace and Craigslist as part of studios shutting down.

They’re very heavy so that’s probably where the shipping $$$ comes from, but they do hold their value and never break down.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the two Shimpo throwing wheels I have experience with both failed.

my brother bought an RK Whisper that started malfunctioning after 6 months. the company told him it was probably the control board, but wouldn't send him a new one unless he paid.

undeterred by this, I bought a VL Lite. the control board also crapped out, so I replaced it. six months later, it stopped working again, but replacing the board didn't fix it this time.

when diagnosing online, I saw enough people complaining about the same problem that I've given up on them.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

A family friend has a huuuuge kiln she was given and is trying to get rid of. A friend of hers used to make sinks and stuff and needed huge. It's a Euclid R-450 https://euclids.com/pages/r-series-value-and-dependability
Just has a kiln sitter for controls, but I thiiink it could be upgraded with more modern controls? Is that a terrible 'babby's first kiln'? Disadvantages I can see would be:
-it's huge, it would take me forever to fill it, but I guess I can fire it half full?
-more expensive to fire than a smaller kiln
-old fashioned controls, but maybe for a first kiln that's not a bad thing?
-needs big fat wires. I have been planning to run a 100A subpanel to my garage anyway, but this thing needs a 100A breaker on its own.

What other downsides am I missing? I know nothing about kilns, but I have a friend who knows a ton and would definitely get him to look it over.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

It really sucks sounds like they’ve cut quality a lot. I’ve thrown in so many older Shimpos that are decades old.

Their banding wheels are top notch though and there’s no mechanical parts to lose out on.

Wopzilla
Mar 6, 2005
indecisive bastard

Wanderless posted:

My partner is a ceramic artist. Over the course of a few firings, their kiln has stopped getting to temperature. The most recent bisque firing didn't reach cone 05 before the controller errored out (I don't think the error was recorded before the kiln was powered off, unfortunately).
They got the kiln second-hand and didn't get all of the documentation.

Our budget doesn't currently have the money to hire a kiln technician to come fix it, and even if we were apparently it isn't the model that folks are familiar with in this region (it is an L&L JD 230 electric kiln, and the local shop seems to mostly stock/service Skutt) but I'm very technically inclined and have access to a couple of very well appointed makerspace/fabrication labs, and am familiar with high-voltage safety procedures.

Does anyone here have a good resource for troubleshooting and repairing kilns? Based on the serial number I am going to guess it is 15 years old. I've found a troubleshooting guide and a manual for a much newer version of the kiln, which look like a good starting point, but if there are better resources I'd love to know about them. Books are welcome if they're good and also available!

Once I get it back up and running I'm tempted to see if I can update the controller to something with at least an informational remote display--I've built my own sous vide machines in the past and the fundamentals aren't that different. It looks like there are a few projects out there to use a raspberry pi as a new controller, though I'd want a well-established design with a community and good failsafes.

Have you checked to see if there is a broken element? The coils can be tricky to catch a break. I just changed out one of mine today. I loaded a max power program, left the door open, and waited five minutes. I had a general idea which location it was because of where the kiln was struggling to reach temperature, but it's good to get a visual with the elements starting to glow.

From a distance it's hard to spot

Up close

They're really easy to replace. You know the model number and can just order from most potter suppliers.

These are the lines in for that particular zone

Snip the connections off. Use some needle nose pliers to remove the bad coil. Feed new one through. Just make certain they come with high temp connections.

Crimp electrical and element together

I got the new one from olympic and it was $69 plus shipping. The small 18" octagonal kiln got the elements changed out last year and the elements were about $200 per zone

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

A family friend has a huuuuge kiln she was given and is trying to get rid of. A friend of hers used to make sinks and stuff and needed huge. It's a Euclid R-450 https://euclids.com/pages/r-series-value-and-dependability
Just has a kiln sitter for controls, but I thiiink it could be upgraded with more modern controls? Is that a terrible 'babby's first kiln'? Disadvantages I can see would be:
-it's huge, it would take me forever to fill it, but I guess I can fire it half full?
-more expensive to fire than a smaller kiln
-old fashioned controls, but maybe for a first kiln that's not a bad thing?
-needs big fat wires. I have been planning to run a 100A subpanel to my garage anyway, but this thing needs a 100A breaker on its own.

What other downsides am I missing? I know nothing about kilns, but I have a friend who knows a ton and would definitely get him to look it over.

A big kiln doesn't necessarily mean it'll cost more to fire when you'll have to fire significantly fewer times to get the same output. I'd personally would like to fire once and get 100 pieces over firing a smaller kiln three times to get 100 pieces. It all comes down to what you're most comfortable with.

Also, nothing wrong with old if it works. As I type this I'm flipping this big Frankenstein switch

I don't know how involved you'd want to get in updating to a modern control system. You would be looking to replace the front panel like this

To a genesis control

This is the inside of the box

There is an additional box attached to that with the three zone relays. All of this is for the three zones and eleven elements, plus three thermocouples. The digital controls are great and I really like being able to adjust zone temperature and firing rates depending on the load.

There is a big pro to it but the work and wiring is something you would need to judge if it's beneficial to you

Edit:

While looking at the cones right now I can see a piggy bank's eyes glowing at me

Wopzilla fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 13, 2023

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Kind of maybe looking at getting a wheel sometime-are there any brands that are noticeably better/worse than others? The studio I mostly have thrown at has Shimpo whisper? Wheels and they seem fine, but from a few few posts ago it seems like maybe they have some problems? The other studio I go to sometime has Brent wheels but I have never actually thrown on them. From what I’ve read tho, Brent seems to have a very good reputation and is in lots of schools and stuff. Or are they all basically fine, get whatever is used on FB marketplace and works?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
gently caress a Shimpo, imo.

Brent are supposed to be indestructible. the 1/2 hp model is around $1600 now, I think.

I just bought a Speedball Clay Boss (1/2 hp) and I like it a lot so far. my brother has owned the same model for a few years with no trouble. ($1000)

don't buy one of the cheap no-name ones on Amazon or wherever. some of them take dangerous manufacturing shortcuts.

whatever used name-brand one is available ought to be good, but I couldn't find one locally that was below retail.

https://clay-king.com/ seems to have the cheapest prices in the country, even with freight charges, but I live super close. (I've bought all of my equipment there, including my kiln.)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
(pottery wheels don't need very many hit points)

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
Just wanted to show off my first three finished handbuilt chawan.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Where do you live?

My favorites are Brent’s and Pacificas

Clayboss has plastic gearing

Shimpo whispers can’t handle large weights.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

cheese eats mouse posted:

Where do you live?

US Gulf Coast. Not really seeing much used locally but I'll keep looking-not in a huge hurry.

Skutt seems to have good marketing and lots of pottery youtubers seem to like their stuff-is it actually good or just good at giving stuff to yourubers?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I've heard praise for L&L kilns too, but really any kiln you can get for cheap will be your best. I have had a lot of luck on FB Marketplace and Craigslist mostly.

I ask because Pacificas are made by Laguna, but they're in California so shipping costs would probably be more for you. Also NCECA is March in Richmond if you want to check the merch. I have heard rumors that they'll offload kilns for cheaper at the end of the show cause they don't want to haul them back.

Good luck. There's some people offloading their pandemic hobbies.

Wopzilla
Mar 6, 2005
indecisive bastard
Nothing too exciting going on this winter, but here are a few things

People ask about these bowls a lot so I made another one:

There has been a lot interest in the old mcm pieces, so I've been doing various items in this green shade with brown rims

A big drippy bowl

Been playing with sgraffito on curved pieces trying to get designs to not be too blurred

Also had an explosion one firing

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Wopzilla posted:

Nothing too exciting going on this winter, but here are a few things

People ask about these bowls a lot so I made another one:

Neat glaze. It looks like glass in this picture.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Wopzilla posted:

A big drippy bowl

I love the drippy glaze.

I just started an eight week hand built pottery class and am signing up for a wheel pottery class that starts in the summer.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Week one of handbuilt pottery was getting acquainted with clay by making pinch pots, and week two was making things by connecting pinch pots together. I built this happy little horse. It's been almost twenty years since I've worked with clay. It's so soothing.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

What do you think is causing these glazing problems? Seems like I got a lot of movement off of the lip, and on this one case complete failure to adhere

Wopzilla
Mar 6, 2005
indecisive bastard

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

What do you think is causing these glazing problems? Seems like I got a lot of movement off of the lip, and on this one case complete failure to adhere

Looks like crawling to me. I only deal with glazing on greenware, but it happens when I apply too much glaze consecutively - too much moisture for layers to properly adhere to the ware. Try letting the glaze dry some in-between dipping.

If you don't mind firing it again, add more glaze and re-fire it.

If you want too much information on the issue:

https://digitalfire.com/trouble/crawling

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

what are you bisquing to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wopzilla
Mar 6, 2005
indecisive bastard
Made a new batch of an old gun metal glaze. As it usually does, ranges from a gun metal color:

To a graphite texture:

And if it's right by a heating element, super sparkly high gloss with reds showing through: