Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In 7.0 your protagonist dies permanently and you can create a new character who looks identical but they are just slightly off enough to be distracting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ImpAtom posted:

In 7.0 your protagonist dies permanently and you can create a new character who looks identical but they are just slightly off enough to be distracting.

Mandatory Mide's scar that you unconsciously touch during cutscenes.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I will say that the Scions have had a fair number of toothless death fakeouts in the full decade. I don't think killing notable NPCs to raise stakes is fundamentally good though, like how Moenbryda is introduced and iced so fast in a narrative sense that I never really cared. There's room to actually deliver the punch but it's not worth throwing without a good purpose.

Ultima Thule tension is built up in the prior 1.5 zones with putting the Ragnarok engine together, having every major player in the entire world back you up because their existence is at stake and you've earned their respect as the Scions and you get the loving Sharlayans to trust you with their only B plan and accept their merciless demise if you fail in any way. I can accept the Scions practically winking at the camera better with that in the back of my head as the source of tension.

And seconding that of all the trials in the game that can mess with you the EW finale actually does it! The tank LB3 fake out? You can't tell me the first time the screen went completely black on your first blind run you sat there thinking "ehh, they can't murder me and not let me go do my marketboard postings in 5 minutes."

If it doesn't work for you then yeah, sure, fair enough but just say that and withdraw from the argument imo. Nobody can prove your personal experience objectively wrong but you're also not going to win the meta-storytelling argument before every dev in the world does. Reminds me of when people went crazy trying to brainstorm the finale of Wrath of the Lich King and invented rumors of being possessed by Frostmourne as a hostile on sight living raid boss that couldn't interact with game mechanics any more and other poo poo. They wanted those raised stakes even if they had to twist themselves in knots to get it and what ultimately does happen at the end of that fight is... alright? There's some stakes, a moment of conflict, a half bad resolution and then the satisfaction of defeating the big bad. What can we do to introduce story consequences for failure in a MMO? The trial resolves and the screen fades to black as people lament your sacrifice, the character creator opens with a proc-gen suggestion of your suspiciously similar offspring?

If you want to be surprised that a story doesn't play nice with the rules of traditional storytelling you have to go play much more morbid games or watch horror films or something where the ending really can support a narrative structure of things resolving in a dark and cruel fashion.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

In the following duty, you will play the role of a taco.

G'raha Tia (Savage) unlocked

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
There could still be an alternate timeline we can go visit

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Countblanc posted:

When will the NDA lift, next Thursday?

Based on what my searches returned, for Endwalker, it lifted with the Media Tour. For Dawntrail, the Media Tour starts next Wednesday, May 15. Though, I guess, based on timezones, it might very well end up being Thursday, May 16 for a lot of us...

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Ojjeorago posted:

7.55 ends with a trial you lose and 8.0 is the bad future expansion.

You will still beat the boss in the trial and then he will win in the cutscene after

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

FuturePastNow posted:

You will still beat the boss in the trial and then he will win in the cutscene after

ah, the witcher 2

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Kheldarn posted:

Based on what my searches returned, for Endwalker, it lifted with the Media Tour. For Dawntrail, the Media Tour starts next Wednesday, May 15. Though, I guess, based on timezones, it might very well end up being Thursday, May 16 for a lot of us...

It's specifically Thursday, May 16, 2024 at 4:00 a.m. (PDT). Well, by it's, I mean the live letter for the job actions. Wonder if it breaks 4 hours this year.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 7, 2024

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
There's a chance I'd've liked In From The Cold much less if I didn't ace it first try, but I'm a loving god gamer so this would've never happened. And so I was rewarded with a real good emotional moment. :)

Also loving lmao I can't believe Asahi of all people finally got back on screen. I aspire to the levels of being such a little hater.

goblin week fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 7, 2024

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

limp dick calvin posted:

There could still be an alternate timeline we can go visit

I think the eighth umbral era could make an interesting setting for a single player spinoff, but I'm not sure I want to visit it in XIV.

Theris fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 7, 2024

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Ya'll, dogpiling me isn't making me want to engage in conversation very much. But I acknowledge that I didn't make my point terribly well because I needed to rush out the door, so let's try again:

People were talking about a divisive story/gameplay event that they enjoyed but maybe some people didn't, so I chimed in to say I was one of the "didn't"s. The frustration of the gameplay element took me out of the story. This is just as valid an experience as the people who were fully invested.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Polderjoch posted:

minstrel's ballad: banquet hall which is just 90 minutes of a dps race on teledji and adeledji

Read this as "90 minutes of a diss track" and was on board with the concept that the WoL rhythm-game freestyles at the conspirators so hard that they give up and go home

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Antivehicular posted:

Read this as "90 minutes of a diss track" and was on board with the concept that the WoL rhythm-game freestyles at the conspirators so hard that they give up and go home

finally, a replacement for MSQ roulette.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

It's specifically Thursday, May 16, 2024 at 4:00 a.m. (PDT). Well, by it's, I mean the live letter for the job actions. Wonder if it breaks 4 hours this year.

EW's one started in the morning in Japan, this one starts at 8 PM, so maybe not mega long.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It'll be long solely because of english interpretation.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Noper Q posted:

Ya'll, dogpiling me isn't making me want to engage in conversation very much. But I acknowledge that I didn't make my point terribly well because I needed to rush out the door, so let's try again:

People were talking about a divisive story/gameplay event that they enjoyed but maybe some people didn't, so I chimed in to say I was one of the "didn't"s. The frustration of the gameplay element took me out of the story. This is just as valid an experience as the people who were fully invested.

nah, you said "all the tension of that moment felt entirely fake, because I'm the main character and this is a story being sold to me, so there's no world where this has any long-term effect on my character" & people are in the right to say that's not a good way to approach ffxiv's story or any other stories. it's like making GBS threads on a setback in the second chapter of a book that you can see has a dozen more chapters left; there's some fundamental, inherent things you have to accept about the process of telling a story that it's just not correct to criticize because there's no other way to present the narrative

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Those aren't the same thing at all. A setback in the second chapter of a book can have long-term and interesting consequences.

My character had all his cool powers taken away, and then I had to go through a gameplay experience that I found extremely frustrating. Twice. And the frustration took me out of the story and led to me predicting that this frustrating experience would have no long-term or interesting effects, which would make all the frustration entirely pointless. And I was right.

You realize I can dislike one part of a story and have a verisimilitude-breaking experience without that informing the entirety of my media literacy, right? I don't apply this logic to every part of every story I read, just in this one moment where I didn't like what was happening and wanted it to be over with. I really like FF14, and I think it has a good story, for the most part. Heck, I think Shadowbringers is the best story in JRPGs period.

I didn't like this part of the story. That is all. Can everyone please stop telling me I'm stupid and don't understand stories now?

Noper Q fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 7, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It just becomes very difficult to discuss the good/bad parts of a story if you hold the part you're saying is bad to a different standard than the rest of the story. Like there's nothing wrong with disliking that segment of the story but it becomes a difficult discussion to have when the reason is "I disliked the gameplay so I began to demand this segment of the story do something I don't expect of other segments of the story." Nobody can tell you that you need to like it but at the end of the day the only thing that can really be said in that situation is "this applies to the rest of the game, why is it a flaw in this segment of the story' when you're just discussing the story part of it.

To shift the subject, I strongly disagree that it came to nothing. That segment of the story is important because it puts you in the shoes of someone who is genuinely far weaker than you normally are and emphasizes that the reason you can do what you do and make the choices you make are because you have strength to back it up, and also emphasizes the kind of person you are without that strength to back it up. This ends up being important thematically to the overall story because the difference between your strength of character and your strength in combat is a central part of the overall themes of the story and putting the player into the position of being weaker and more helpless is genuinely meaningful to things that happens later and to the motivation of the villains. It doesn't have 'long-term consequences' in that nobody gets killed as a result but it is a sequence that sets the mood and tone of a major part of the rest of the expansion.

If anything I found it one of the most striking parts of the game. Like, honestly, just the simple emphasis on the fact that you are flat-out killing soldiers you might otherwise have spared because you no longer have the strength to fight without killing and the fact that is presented as something that takes a genuine toll is important because you spent so much of the proceeding moments spending time with Garleans as people. Now you're in the shoes of one who is helpless, endangered, and magicless. It's the closest the game really comes to selling what being a Garlean in a world of magic users is like..

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 7, 2024

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

Final Fantasy Theatrhythm event!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's perfectly fine to dislike a portion of the story in a game because you found the accompanying gameplay frustrating, which is why the part of your statement people responded to was that you didn't understand the purpose of the sequence, which was to generate the verisimilitude of tension in a story that, by the necessity of its format, cannot allow for consequences that severe

you can just say, like, "i strongly disliked this part of the story because i felt the gameplay was frustrating and tedious," and i don't think anyone will disagree with you in principle. i personally loved what they did with in from the cold, and i'm glad i got to experience it in its original form, but the fact that they nerfed it so quickly (i think it was literally one of the first EW hotfix patches) is a testament to me being in the minority

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I would also argue that that duty is important thematic foreshadowing of the fact that the story is about to shift from a darker but mostly standard FF14 adventure, where bad things happen and you can't save everyone but the Warrior of Light's strength carries the day, to a story where the WoL can't rely on their strength alone and it becomes a liability (punching Zodiark and the consequences thereof). It's a signifier of what's waiting.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Antivehicular posted:

Drake's "if that were true why haven't I been arrested yet" comeback would fit well with the monetarist.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

goblin week posted:

Also loving lmao I can't believe Asahi of all people finally got back on screen. I aspire to the levels of being such a little hater.

It was a perfect way to give a W to a tremendous piece of poo poo while still having him remain true to himself (and also having him stay super dead).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bruceski posted:

Drake's "if that were true why haven't I been arrested yet" comeback would fit well with the monetarist.

"If that were true why hasn't Raubahn cut me in half yet"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

Parappa the Rapper was a great game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I thought the real twist in Ultima Thule was supposed to be you using the souped-up Azem crystal to bring back those two chucklefucks to meme on Meteion one last time.

orange juche posted:

Parappa the Rapper was a great game

Heal, adjust
It's all in the mind