Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So, this one is finally out, after many years and half the actors in it being cancelled for various reasons. Anybody seen it yet? Is it any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Rand Brittain posted:

So, this one is finally out, after many years and half the actors in it being cancelled for various reasons. Anybody seen it yet? Is it any good?

I thought it was pretty decent. It's in that genre where you get to hang out with rich people in the 30s, lots of wonderful set, beautiful people, that kind of thing. There really isn't anyway to figure out who did it though, so it's a mystery, but not one you can solve by watching it.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

PeterCat posted:

I thought it was pretty decent. It's in that genre where you get to hang out with rich people in the 30s, lots of wonderful set, beautiful people, that kind of thing. There really isn't anyway to figure out who did it though, so it's a mystery, but not one you can solve by watching it.

What? I thought it was incredibly obvious it's the husband since the scene with the servant who witnessed the murder when going for a smoke tries to *wink wink nudge nudge* in the interview with him and Poirot.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

PeterCat posted:

Once you see the paint is stolen, you should be able to put together the grift with the bullet to the leg. which frees him up to take the gun and kill Gadot.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Gaius Marius posted:

Once you see the paint is stolen, you should be able to put together the grift with the bullet to the leg. which frees him up to take the gun and kill Gadot.

I don't see how that's obvious at all except in hindsight.

The husband faked it with a blank cartridge, I don't remember that being mentioned at all till the ending

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

PeterCat posted:

I don't see how that's obvious at all except in hindsight.

The husband faked it with a blank cartridge, I don't remember that being mentioned at all till the ending

It's obvious if you watch enough of these things and go in knowing that there's going to be some bullshit shenanigans involved.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

sethsez posted:

It's obvious if you watch enough of these things and go in knowing that there's going to be some bullshit shenanigans involved.
I had it narrowed down to the lawyer or the husband, but I am not good at mysteries. :shrug:

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

It is obvious. Either the murder is premeditated or improvised. Logically, the only way Louise can get murdered violently (i.e. not poisoned) is if her husband isn't sleeping with her. That's going to be a rare occurrence on a honeymoon. Therefore, if premeditated, the only possible murderer is the husband, since only he can arrange for his wife to sleep alone. Because of the method he uses, the girlfriend must also be involved.

Poirot's investigations, therefore, are only to eliminate improvised murder. As soon as the gun is found, improvised murder is eliminated anyway, but Poirot needs to begin his investigations prior to this. The girlfriend's gun can't be stolen, as everyone who was in the room to see the gun available was accounted for (except, again, the husband). Salome's gun introduces a twist, but a lame one since it's impossible to be stolen and Salome doesn't have any real motive to kill.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 23, 2022

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I haven't seen this yet but I am curious. I listened to the audiobook that Branagh narrated and I wonder how much of the casting affected his voices. He does a good job with it, though. Obviously his Poirot voice is the same. It seems like there's a bit of Gadot in his Linnet, although from the cast list some characters are changed around a bit from the book. The funniest voice he does, since he has to do a number of American voices, is Cornelia, who he gives a flat midwestern sound to, even though she's one of the few characters who we know where she's from - Connecticut.

I also think Death on the Nile is likely to be an easier adaptation to film than Orient Express. It's a lot more theatrical, and since the first murder in the book is easy to figure out, the reveals in the third act are more about showing off all the side stories and peeling them away until the final solution is made clear. Orient Express is far more intricate, and I don't think the Branagh version came together all that well.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It's a good movie. I hope they still get to make the next one after the Disney buyout

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Speleothing posted:

It's a good movie. I hope they still get to make the next one after the Disney buyout

Do they hint at what next one would be? Evil Under the Sun? Murder in Mesopotamia?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Do they hint at what next one would be? Evil Under the Sun? Murder in Mesopotamia?

Murder of Roger Ackroyd was the hinted at book. Though it was a subtle hint

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Speleothing posted:

Murder of Roger Ackroyd was the hinted at book. Though it was a subtle hint

That'd be interesting to see adapted since the novel's narrator is revealed to be the murderer.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Yes. I'm vaguely aware that it's been adapted before but it does seem like a tricky one

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I think I like Orient Express more just for the simple fact they aren't poorly compositing a brightly light desert backdrop into most of the shots.
Maybe it's just the big screen and it'll look fine on a TV but it was distracting at times.

Also, was the origin story for Poirot's mustache because of how obviously fake it looks and Kenneth wanted an in universe reason?

Despite my complaints, I did enjoy it and want him to keep adapting Poirot stories.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
It's a fun movie. It has both great and abhorrent visuals. Some of the greenscreen stuff is really eye-pokingly bad.

Fun performances throughout. Gal Gadot was better than anything else I've seen her in (but still pretty bad, lol). Her reciting Shakespeare was rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Saw this today. It's a rather good adaptation. I was surprised it went dark and emotional, and actually works on that level. I liked it much better than Orient Express except maybe in the technical aspects, since this didn't always look or sound very good. It mostly managed to feel modern without being too anachronistic, either.

Performances were kind of uneven; it's almost a shame that Annette Bening does such a wonderful job, as it kind of makes everyone else look worse.

I also can't believe I didn't recognize Saunders & French; I spent the movie feeling I knew them from somewhere and it didn't hit me until the credits.