Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

At least 285 square feet of floor to cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Ok, I'll bite. Why the floor? Are you causing the noise or trying to quiet the screams of the damned from below?

You could lay sheets of foam board insulation, a layer of carpet padding then a click lock lament floor over it. Cheaper solutions include thick moving blankets too, but only under furniture like beds and sofas...

Alternatively you could build a faux floating floor with 2x4s that sit atop the existing floor without attaching it to anything. Do this in like 4ftx4ft (16sqft per tile) sections or smaller (easy to place and remove later), this would leave an air gap beneath and you could also pad it too.

I'd then lay 3/4in plywood or subflooring (not OSB) over the top for strength, nail or screw to your tile frame. Next apply carpet padding+carpet on the top of your raised faux floor to deaden the sound more. Or underlayment and click lock flooring, your choice. But don't cover over your tile gaps... Point is to keep these sectional..

Just do it in sections so you can remove them easily and size these "tiles" however you like. Be sure to put a layer of underlayment between the old floor and your new floor to prevent scuffing or rubbing. I might even suggest furniture felt on the bottoms too.

If you're stomping around or something, you should look into yoga mats, padded exercise/gym mats or anti-vibration rubber floor mats. You can get like 2" thick rubber mats from a Feed/Farm store that are used for horse stalls that would work well. I put some of those under my generator to absorb some sound.

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 27, 2022