Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for April, 2022?
This poll is closed.
:skeltal: Thunder Rosa (AEW Women's Champion) 3 3.80%
:horse: Hangman Adam Page (AEW Champion) 20 25.32%
:krakken: Shoko Nakajima (Princess of Princess Champion) 5 6.33%
:greenangel: Syuri (World of Stardom Champion) 1 1.27%
:cthulhu: Jonathan Gresham (ROH World Champion) 1 1.27%
Moose (FORMER Impact World Champion) 0 0%
:pilot: Josh Alexander (Impact World Champion) 10 12.66%
:radcat: Tasha Steelz (Impact Knockouts Champion) 0 0%
:black101: Arisa Nakajima (Beyond the SEA Champion) 1 1.27%
:clint: Becky Lynch (FORMER Raw Women's Champion) 1 1.27%
:thurman: Bianca Belair (Raw Women's Champion) 3 3.80%
:prepop: Brock Lesnar (FORMER WWE Champion) 1 1.27%
:troll: Charlotte Flair (Smackdown Women's Champion) 0 0%
Go Shiozaki (GHC Heavyweight Champion) 2 2.53%
:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) 27 34.18%
:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Champion) 2 2.53%
:letsgo: (None of the Above) 2 2.53%
Total: 79 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The streak ended in March! After 4 months, Hangman Adam Page came close but couldn't quite make it to 5 months as Champ of the Month in a row, with all he had to placate him his enormous wealth, success, his ACTUAL championship, his family, friends, the respect of his peers and the adulation of millions. Who replaced him? A newcomer getting her first win of the month ever: Thunder Rosa! Yes, the former Kobra Moon, once one of the worst wrestlers in the world, is now beloved and for good reason, because she's awesome! Winning the AEW title from Dr. Britt Baker DMD, she also defeated in the poll not only Hangman Adam Page, but also the world's coolest woman Miyu Yamashita and the Big Kaiju, Shoko Nakajima! March 2022 now and forever belongs to her, but can THUNDER! ROSA! keep the momentum up and make it two in a row?

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant - for instance, Baliyan Akki (Gatoh Move ChocoPro), Bandido (PWG), Jon Moxley (GCW), KAI (Dragon Gate), Kento Miyahara (All Japan), Tetsuya Endo (DDT) & Tsukushi Haruka (Ice Ribbon) did not defend their titles this month and are temporarily removed from the poll - I have removed the G1/Champion Carnival exception as these polls are already stretched to the limit as it is without including champions who didn't actually defend their titles. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish. The

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread.

:skeltal: Thunder Rosa (AEW Women's Champion) - After her victory over Dr. Britt Baker DMD, Thunder Rosa had very little time to enjoy her triumph as former champion Nyla Rose set her sights on what she hoped would be a vulnerable new Champion. Though Rosa saw through Nyla's transparent efforts to ambush her, she wasn't able to prevent the ambushes from happening. That didn't matter though when they finally actually had to square off in the ring, and Rosa defeated the former champion to solidify her hold on the AEW Women's Championship.

:horse: Hangman Adam Page (AEW Champion) - Despite being defeated at Revolution, Adam Cole refused to accept that his loss was real, trying to proclaim that somehow Hangman was scared of him or knew he was better. So Hangman put paid to that in a hurry, getting right in Cole's face and challenging him to a Texas Death Match on Rampage. Hangman had faced one before against the terrifying Lance Archer, and he used that to good effect in a superb match that put paid once and for all to any possible claim that Cole could make to being the "superior" Adam. Getting Covid late in the month meant he didn't get to properly set up the next angle as hoped, but it has been announced his next challenger will be CM Punk, which.... well goddamn!

:krakken: Shoko Nakajima (Princess of Princess Champion) - Having won the title from the coolest woman in the world, Shoko's first defense was an emotional one against Yuki Aino. Aino's sister Nodoka Tenma had retired from wrestling with a tag match against Shoko and Miyu to end March, and Aino followed up the loss of her sister (from wrestling) to a loss to Shoko, as all 147cm of the Big Kaiju was brought to bear to defeat Aino and retain her title and continue her reign.

:greenangel: Syuri (World of Stardom Champion) - Arguably the best wrestler in the world, Syuri continued her reign by defeating former DDM stablemate Himeka after a very... Stardom build to the match involving Himeka kissing Syuri on the lips to uh unsettle her opponent? Anyway, Syuri won the match and the wrestling was good and will defend it against Prominence's Risa Sera next. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI!

:cthulhu: Jonathan Gresham (ROH World Champion) - After solidifying his status as ROH World Champion by defeating former champion Bandido (who had to vacate the title before the last ROH PPV of the Sinclair Era) at Supercard of Honor (First ROH PPV of the Tony Khan era), Gresham followed up with a successful defense against Dalton Castle at AEW's Battle of the Belts show. His victory was somewhat overshadowed in both victories by the arrival of Jay Lethal and TALL MAN and the return of ROH legend Samoa Joe, but Gresham has still made it clear that he is a worthy champion of ROH who has survived the shift from one promotion owner to the next for good reason.

Moose (FORMER Impact World Champion) - After defeating Speedball Mike Bailey in the middle of the month, Moose seemed on track to retain the title he won in less than ideal circumstances, and that he'd finally be able to put behind him the frankly cynical and exploitative way he won the belt. Until....

:pilot: Josh Alexander (Impact World Champion) - Alexander returned and made things right at last. After the humiliation of his title victory over Christian Cage being tainted by Moose cashing in on him in the middle of a celebration with his family, Josh Alexander finally got to face Moose one-on-one in a fair fight for the title. The result? A near 25 minute match against a worthy champion whom Alexander eventually bested, regaining the belt and THIS time getting to celebrate with his family without disaster.

:radcat: Tasha Steelz (Impact Knockouts Champion) - Steelz succeeded in two defenses of her belt this month, the first at a GCW event to begin the month where she defeated Big Swole, before wrapping up the month at Rebellion with a win over Rosemary to retain her title.

:black101: Arisa Nakajima (Beyond the SEA Champion) - Nakajima wasn't supposed to defend the title in April but after suffering a loss in a MOTYC to her best friend Tsukasa Fujimoto at SEAdLINNNG Golden Moment, she agreed to put the belt on the line in their Ice Ribbon rematch the very next day. Fortunately for Nakajima and the title, she was able to win the rematch and prevent the belt from going on hiatus along with Fujimoto, setting up a title defence against SEAdLINNNG rookie Rico Kaiju in May. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI!

:clint: Becky Lynch (FORMER Raw Women's Champion) - In what was said to be one of the best matches of the two night event, Becky Lynch put up her title against the woman she'd humiliated roughly 9 months earlier upon her return to wrestling. Without the element of surprise though, "The Man" discovered that she was no match for the EST.

:thurman: Bianca Belair (Raw Women's Champion) - Having defeated Becky Lynch, Bianca was looking for her next challenge. It came in the form of Sonya Deville, the co-General Manager of Raw and Smackdown who tried to stack the deck in her favor in a No Count Out/No Disqualification match with assistance from Carmella and Zelina.... and Bianca beat all their asses and retained the title anyway.

:prepop: Brock Lesnar (FORMER WWE Champion) - Brock Lesnar finally got a one-on-one match against Roman Reigns in a Winner Takes All Unification match in the main event of Night 2 of Wrestlemania. Brock lost.

:troll: Charlotte Flair (Smackdown Women's Champion) - Charlotte Flair defeated Ronda Rousey in what was originally claimed to be the main event of Night 1 of Wrestlemania (it wasn't), cheating to get her win and inflicting more of the feud on the viewers.

Go Shiozaki (GHC Heavyweight Champion) - Go completed his return to the pinnacle of NOAH by winning the GHC Championship for a record fifth time in Sumo Hall by avenging his January 4th loss to Kaito Kiyomiya after his original opponent Kazuyuki Fujita unfortunately had to vacate the title. Shiozaki will still get the chance to wrestle a 50 something year old for the top title however as NJPW's Satoshi Kojima has stepped through the not so forbidden door to challenge the newly crowned champion for CyberFight Festival in Saitama Super Arena. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI!

:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) - Okada went into Hyper Battle against a wrestler who had torn through the New Japan Cup and who has given Okada great issues in the past: Zack Sabre Jr. It wasn't to be for ZSJ though, who actually lost faster than he did in his last title shot against Okada. The match was still excellent, and Okada - feeling somewhat closer to his old divine status even with the still restricted crowds - looked to avenge his loss in the New Japan Cup against Tetsuya Naito, challenging him for the chance for him to tip the win/loss record for the two back in Okada's favor once more.

:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Champion) - Striking while the iron was hot, WWE decided to follow up to the unification of the WWE and Universal Championships by having Roman.... not wrestle on anything but house shows for the rest of the month.

:letsgo: (None of the Above) - If the sight of these champions makes you cringe or wince or wish we could just go to the end of the month already, or if you just want to see the results, or for any reason you please really... then None of the Above is the option for you!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Kazu all day. Seeing Go win the other day was great but Okada's defence against ZSJ was the best of the month.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I would have agreed if it wasn't for that insane Texas Death Match between Cole and Page. It was a tough call but I ended up going with Hangman.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It's been about goddamned time that Kazu wins one of these again.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Lil' Kazu's got them good matches.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Small Kazuchika

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Josh Alexander owns and deserves the win for finally getting the Impact gold and not having Moose ruin it. :colbert:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
<——— and also ^^^^^^

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

A crown of thorns on Good Friday before sending Adam Cole through a table with a Deadeye. I can't go with anyone but Hangman.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Voted Kazu but only because I probably won't get to see Nakajima or Shiozaki's defences before the poll closes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Voted Kazu but only because I probably won't get to see Nakajima or Shiozaki's defences before the poll closes.

I set the poll to expire after 4 days, by the way!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Adam Page

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I set the poll to expire after 4 days, by the way!

Yeah, but I doubt the Ice Ribbon show will surface in under a week, which is a bummer.

Also my backlog is enormous. I'm about 2 weeks behind & with Golden Week being absolutely loving stocked, if I don't watch something live I probably won't get to it for a while. Still trying to build up the effort to watch the WM weekend shows I'm interested in.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, but I doubt the Ice Ribbon show will surface in under a week, which is a bummer.

The SEAd match is better than the Ice Ribbon one imo. They wrestled each one under the promotions house style and SEAd is simply better imo

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Spoilt for choice this month but it comes down to one simple thing: I see Go Shiozaki on a poll, I vote for Go Shiozaki in that poll.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I voted for Becky Lynch because I like her and think we would be really good friends. We have a similar sense of humour and I can only assume she likes Ninja Turtles as much as I do.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The SEAd match is better than the Ice Ribbon one imo. They wrestled each one under the promotions house style and SEAd is simply better imo

Yeah, but SEAd wasn't for the belt was it? So it can't count :(

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Hanger didn't lose the belt to famous loser and generally boring wrestling character Adam Cole.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Slightly less than a day in with 3 to go, and Okada's initial surge has been clawed back by Hangman. Don't forget to vote early and often.... well, at a reasonable time and once....

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Thunder Rosa is still cool. So I voted for her.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Almost two days in, just over two days to go, and it's very close, so vote!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bumping to remind you to, you'll never guess what...... vote!

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I thought the Page/Cole and Rosa/Nyla feuds were both bad, I'm looking forward to better feuds in May for both. Okada gets my vote for the month.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

We're getting down near the end of the poll, and it's still a close run thing between 1st and 2nd. Vote if you haven't, bask in the adulation of an adoring and impressed population if you have.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well it was a close run thing, but God returned to his rightly place on the throne at last. After a 32 month absence, Kazuchika Okada is once again Punch Sport Pagoda's Pro-Wrestling Champion of the Month, extending his lead as the winningest champion of these polls with his 21st victory as monthly champion. His closest competitor in that regard is CM Punk's 16, with the two of them also matched as 3 times winners of Champ of the Year. CM Punk will need to beat Hangman Adam Page for a chance to catch up to Okada though, with Hangman himself placing a close second this month and Josh Alexander with an admirable 3rd place showing, while last month's winner Thunder Rosa showed a significant drop. But for now and forever, April 2022 will always be the year that Kazuchika Okada descended from the heavens to once again grace us with his presence as Champion of the Month. Let's hear it for Lil' Kazu!

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

May 2022's Thread is now up!