Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Okay so the plastic Custodian Guard kit has all of its swords in the right hands and all of its shields in the left hand. It also models the vexilla in the right hand. This makes it easy to model Vexilla Guy in a Custodian Guard squad as holding a vexilla and a shield, and difficult to model Vexilla Guy as holding a vexilla and a sword. In 30k, "vexilla and shield" is an illegal build -- Vexilla Guy gets vexilla and either a sentinel blade or or a power weapon, but can't take a shield.

Is there like a commonly accepted kitbash for modeling Vexilla Guy in 30k Custodian Guard squads, or does everybody deal with scraping fingers off plastic with a knife / having a hand that's on backwards if you look too closely / just having a guy with the wrong loadout?

(Also why the gently caress did they model it this way, these guys launched with Burning of Prospero and even back then you couldn't take a vexilla and a shield in 30k custodian guard squads Jesus Christ.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The rules team and the models team don’t talk to each other nearly as much as they should

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

The Demilich posted:

Crosspost from the 40k thread:

Shot in the dark, but does anyone have any size comparison pics with the Leviathan/post Leviathan Terminators & any of the 30k Imperial Fist Terminator Praetors?

https://beyondthetabletop.com/true-scale-terminators/

Might not be exactly what you're looking for but if they've tried to keep everything in scale the Cataphractii will be half a head shorter than the new Leviathan termies.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Z the IVth posted:

https://beyondthetabletop.com/true-scale-terminators/

Might not be exactly what you're looking for but if they've tried to keep everything in scale the Cataphractii will be half a head shorter than the new Leviathan termies.

The old IF cata praetor they just replaced semi recently was huge, though - like if you put one of the AoD praetors in terminator armor with all the added bulk that implies. Very different scale from the regular Cata. I've heard the replacement is closer to normal size but I haven't seen it yet.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

SkyeAuroline posted:

The old IF cata praetor they just replaced semi recently was huge, though - like if you put one of the AoD praetors in terminator armor with all the added bulk that implies. Very different scale from the regular Cata. I've heard the replacement is closer to normal size but I haven't seen it yet.

Yeah I heard the scaling on the older stuff was all over the place with stuff like Palatine blades being absolute midgets so that would track. They seem a lot more consistent with scaling these days though.

The new MkVI plastic Praetors are comparable to the old cataphractii in bulk and height but definitely not as big as the new guys. Keeping the same enlarged scale but putting them in terminator suits would probably result in someone comparable to the new leviathan termies.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's a generation between these two, but here's a Leviathan one and one from the Dark Vengeance era. (The smaller has one-part arms, with an attached shoulder pad.)

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

The reason I asked is because my best friend is remaking OG Space Hulk but with updated models for us, and I was leaning into maybe making an IF team for it.

The special release Imperial Fists Legion Terminator Praetors look great and can act as the sergeant fit me, but I don't want to pair it with the Leviathan terminators (I prefer their updated scaling) if said Praetor is comparatively tiny.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
The Praetor will be as big as, if not significantly larger than, the Indomitus Terminators.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

going off comparisons to beakies even the "small" one that's currently available is fairly close to the new indomitus kits. less heft but the eye level appears to be very similar, so the big boy should appear suitably large and in charge

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Stephenls posted:

In 30k, "vexilla and shield" is an illegal build

It's legal in 40K though and that's what matters.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The real answer is that no one should play custodes

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Also true.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Stephenls posted:

Okay so the plastic Custodian Guard kit has all of its swords in the right hands and all of its shields in the left hand. It also models the vexilla in the right hand. This makes it easy to model Vexilla Guy in a Custodian Guard squad as holding a vexilla and a shield, and difficult to model Vexilla Guy as holding a vexilla and a sword. In 30k, "vexilla and shield" is an illegal build -- Vexilla Guy gets vexilla and either a sentinel blade or or a power weapon, but can't take a shield.

Is there like a commonly accepted kitbash for modeling Vexilla Guy in 30k Custodian Guard squads, or does everybody deal with scraping fingers off plastic with a knife / having a hand that's on backwards if you look too closely / just having a guy with the wrong loadout?

(Also why the gently caress did they model it this way, these guys launched with Burning of Prospero and even back then you couldn't take a vexilla and a shield in 30k custodian guard squads Jesus Christ.)

The Blade Champion has an option for a blade in their left hand, though not a full size sword. Would that help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Safety Factor posted:

The real answer is that no one should play custodes