Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Those dudes would call me up at my last job to talk about R9s or their model train collection or whatever and I’d have to figure out a polite way of telling them we are a manufacturer and I don’t really have time to vibe about rando poo poo. They really didn’t care if you were listening, they just wanted to talk so after a while I just left them on speaker and let em tell me about their day while I wired up pickguards or wound pickups or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i saw the SDRE diary anniversary show last night and it was really good -- they actually totally still have it. like if i'd gone to see them on tour in 1995/1996 and they played the songs like that, it still wouldn't have been disappointing.

hearing everyone in the crowd belt In Circles together was a religious experience

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

landgrabber posted:

i saw the SDRE diary anniversary show last night and it was really good -- they actually totally still have it. like if i'd gone to see them on tour in 1995/1996 and they played the songs like that, it still wouldn't have been disappointing.

hearing everyone in the crowd belt In Circles together was a religious experience

Man that's some elder emo. I would have loved to go to that show.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

if somebody called me up to talk about their r9 id tell them to get a r0 coward

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

actaully id make a really lame joke about how they should get an r1 and when tehy say what is that id say a 61 sg

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Apologies if this has come up in the thread before, but does anyone have any tone/EQ tips for a guitar player playing with a drummer and no bass? I recently put together a rock trio that turned into a duo when our bassist dropped out, and we have a show coming up that we don’t want to cancel.

I’ve tried just turning up the bass on my amp, but that doesn’t quite seem to cut it. We’re trying to go for something in the vicinity of a Flat Duo Jets kind of sound, if that helps.

Ideally I’d like to avoid solving the problem with more gear, but I have considered switching to a baritone guitar or using a sub octave pedal if we stick with this instrumentation long term.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Just tune down to C# or so, should cover Enough.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Just rock out without the bass
the idea that you need a certain composition is artifice anyhow

a drum is more than enough rhythm and as long as you're covering the spectrum with the guitar I think you can sound plenty full without it

as long as you're not playing funk or something then people might notice something missing

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Armacham posted:

Man that's some elder emo. I would have loved to go to that show.

i'm emo of all eras baby.

like seriously, i like jawbreaker, sunny day, mcr, say anything, modern baseball, remo drive... i just loving love the style

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Sam Ash is closing all of their stores so be on the lookout for deals everyone.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

landgrabber posted:

i'm emo of all eras baby.

like seriously, i like jawbreaker, sunny day, mcr, say anything, modern baseball, remo drive... i just loving love the style

I saw mom jeans last month they were sick

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Laocius posted:

Apologies if this has come up in the thread before, but does anyone have any tone/EQ tips for a guitar player playing with a drummer and no bass? I recently put together a rock trio that turned into a duo when our bassist dropped out, and we have a show coming up that we don’t want to cancel.

I’ve tried just turning up the bass on my amp, but that doesn’t quite seem to cut it. We’re trying to go for something in the vicinity of a Flat Duo Jets kind of sound, if that helps.

Ideally I’d like to avoid solving the problem with more gear, but I have considered switching to a baritone guitar or using a sub octave pedal if we stick with this instrumentation long term.

A mixing engineer working with a duo (if they know what they’re doing) would let the guitar go without the usual cuts at 100hz a bass usually gets at the board and let the kick drum run heavy in the mix too. In a white stripes song one of the reasons everyone talks about Meg and debates her drumming so much is she’s really dominant in the mix.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Post the guitar.

It’s just another strat that I don’t really need*

But the last time I got emailed and texted this much was when I foolishly made a political donation.

GC is loving relentless.

*don’t need, but the thinking is to always have one in standard tuning, one a whole step down (or drop D), and then a new one in open G. And these will all sit within arms reach all day.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
My custom Firebird is way more up my ergonomic alley. I don't need my JV Modified 50s HSS Strat. It's on Reverb, and I'm too lazy to take photos of it with timestamps for SA-Mart or elsewhere, but I'd be willing to do decent OBOs for goons.

I'll ship it or do local meetups in northern/central NJ. I'd trade if you have an acoustic with a 10" or smaller radius. Comes with a really great gig bag.

Maple is not included

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Ngl I want that. Must resist.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Just rock out without the bass
the idea that you need a certain composition is artifice anyhow

a drum is more than enough rhythm and as long as you're covering the spectrum with the guitar I think you can sound plenty full without it

as long as you're not playing funk or something then people might notice something missing

I saw Big Business and Bell Witch not too long ago and they're both just Drums + Bass and the sound they put out is incredibly dynamic and crushing. Made me rethink a lot of things.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Most of those kinds of bands bi-amp into both a bass and guitar rig, which is the setup I’d go with if you can afford it.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
when i was teenager with a 2-piece band half inspired by White Stripes, half inspired by Lightning Bolt, i ran my guitar with assorted pedals into a 1x12 Mesa combo. then i split the signal somewhere and sent that and an octave pedal into a cheap fender rumble bass amp, which i would sit the guitar amp on top of

and then i put vocals w./ a ton of FX through a fender solid state amp and put that on top of the Mesa

it was a tower of shite and it gave one boomer sound guy a straight up coronary and he like panic attacked out right there in this upscale sports bar. we were allowed 3 songs and asked to leave

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
which reminds me - goddamn am i glad im not in a power trio anymore. singing, playing rhythm and filling the space everywhere else started to make all of my guitar playing sound the same

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Humble Bundle has a big batch of Guitar for Dummies books up right now if that appeals to anybody.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

20 Blunts posted:

it was a tower of shite and it gave one boomer sound guy a straight up coronary and he like panic attacked out right there in this upscale sports bar. we were allowed 3 songs and asked to leave

Hell yeah

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Was having a look under the hood of my '88 LP this week and took some measurements on the pots to find that both tones are using really low values.

I assumed they had drifted over the years, but after doing some digging turns out that between the early 70s and 1990 Gibson used 300K for volumes and either 300K or even 100K for tone controls (which is what mine are).

Nothing inherently crazy about those values, but it does make me wonder how many of the infamous Norlin dogs actually just needed some 500K pots to bring them back to life. This is pretty dark for a P90 guitar and I have an excess of fresh pots on hand so will eventually at least change the tones out for 300s to make the sweep a bit more subtle.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

GUITAR MEGATHREAD: we were allowed 3 songs and asked to leave

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

20 Blunts posted:

when i was teenager with a 2-piece band half inspired by White Stripes, half inspired by Lightning Bolt, i ran my guitar with assorted pedals into a 1x12 Mesa combo. then i split the signal somewhere and sent that and an octave pedal into a cheap fender rumble bass amp, which i would sit the guitar amp on top of

and then i put vocals w./ a ton of FX through a fender solid state amp and put that on top of the Mesa

Sonically devastating an upscale sports bar with a godawful amp triple stack sounds like class struggle praxis to me. Thank you for your service, comrade.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

fullroundaction posted:

I saw Big Business and Bell Witch not too long ago and they're both just Drums + Bass and the sound they put out is incredibly dynamic and crushing. Made me rethink a lot of things.

There's been a bunch of Bass n Drum bands over the years: Man is the Bastard aka Charred Remains (also Neanderthal), Godheadsilo, Death From Above 1979, Big Biz. I know theres more I'm drawing a blank on but it was a thing in the 90s and early 2000s for sure. Brujeria had a guitar player but who cares when there's three fuckin basses

20 Blunts posted:

I saw Godheadsilo in a grange hall like 25 years ago and the dudes bass rig was legit overpowering to the point that my heart literally skipped a beat when he hit the first chord during soundcheck. The sound guy came up and asked them to turn it down and dude was like "sorry cant" and launched into their first song. The entire audience was driven outside the venue. A few of us tried to hang but it was so loud I was getting nauseas. Also the drummer spit on me. Unforgettable show.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The yeah yeah yeahs did without a bassist for a long time and always sounded great but yeah, kind of non traditional noise rock so it's a little different.

Regarding case/bag chat ... For a unique shaped guitar like a v, firebird, or explorer, I think a hard case is worth it's weight and added price. It will help the resale value (any guitar that comes with a nice case is a bonus to me) and in a gig bag, the parts of the guitar body resting on the ground when leaned up against something would be more delicate than say a strat or tele.

That said, I'm leaning towards the rigid foam violin style cases in the future vs traditional hard cases. Best of both worlds.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I know theres more I'm drawing a blank on but it was a thing in the 90s and early 2000s for sure.

grotus

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

pig destroyer didn't have a bassist for a long time, then they got one and they sounded better

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
animals as leaders no bass but tosin has his thumb going bowm bowm on the 8 string

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Local H is always the first band I think of when people start talking about no bass, and they took the extra step of putting a bass pickup on the guitar.

Then these guys, but they did add a bass player a few years later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AdfZ2rhZmc

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

800peepee51doodoo posted:

There's been a bunch of Bass n Drum bands over the years: Man is the Bastard aka Charred Remains (also Neanderthal), Godheadsilo, Death From Above 1979, Big Biz. I know theres more I'm drawing a blank on but it was a thing in the 90s and early 2000s for sure. Brujeria had a guitar player but who cares when there's three fuckin basses

Cop Shoot Cop as well, although they did get a guitar player later, who went on to try and rob a store with a gun shaped perfume bottle and got the band their first, and final, TMZ mention.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

MJP posted:

My custom Firebird is way more up my ergonomic alley. I don't need my JV Modified 50s HSS Strat. It's on Reverb, and I'm too lazy to take photos of it with timestamps for SA-Mart or elsewhere, but I'd be willing to do decent OBOs for goons.

I'll ship it or do local meetups in northern/central NJ. I'd trade if you have an acoustic with a 10" or smaller radius. Comes with a really great gig bag.

Maple is not included

Huh - is that bridge pickup stock? I ask because I have a strat I bought used in the early 2000s with the same configuration and always assumed it was a custom job, would be cool to learn it was stock on some models

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

a.p. dent posted:

Huh - is that bridge pickup stock? I ask because I have a strat I bought used in the early 2000s with the same configuration and always assumed it was a custom job, would be cool to learn it was stock on some models

No, the JV 50s comes with a full size HSS setup. Duncan aren't something they offer stock very often - the Ed O'Brien Strat has a JB Jr but that's the only one I can think of.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

a.p. dent posted:

Not stock - the previous owner put in a Duncan Little 59 single coil-sized humbucker in the bridge and Lollar Sixty-Four single-coils in the middle and neck. The body has room for a regular full sized humbucker but it would need a pickguard to fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Most of those kinds of bands bi-amp into both a bass and guitar rig, which is the setup I’d go with if you can afford it.

I was considering getting a bass cab to run my amp through, or maybe just trade in my Deluxe Reverb for a Bassman, but this might be the better way to go.