Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
also kawamori just posted some vacation photos from the piedmont boutique last week. dude is Tony Bennett Brackets Japanese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

TenementFunster posted:

you don’t need to understand japanese to appreciate sneaking off on a tour of Space San Francisco with an undercover Miss Macross

The fact that they put a neon sign of KMEL a well known SF Bay Area radio station in a scene was pretty amusing to me.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The fact that they put a neon sign of KMEL a well known SF Bay Area radio station in a scene was pretty amusing to me.

dude loves sf. frontier and flashback 7 are also set in Space San Francisco

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Think the most jarring thing was seeing a billboard for Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso's Darwin album in Macross Plus.

That's awesome, but also... why?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
when i first watched plus, i thought it was unbelievable that so many people would be fans of an AI singer. hatsune miku really proved my rear end WRONG

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TenementFunster posted:

when i first watched plus, i thought it was unbelievable that so many people would be fans of an AI singer. hatsune miku really proved my rear end WRONG
I think the idea that people would be fans of an AI Artist may have been out there (because, like, the question of creative genesis and all). But Max Headroom was a series 7 years dead at that point and that dumb little thing created a HUGE 80s icon. And Hello Kitty continues to do gangbusters.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

... hello kitty is AI now?!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Max Headroom is an actor wearing make-up stuff, he's technically not AI either! We're cleaning up with our caveats and such. He is cool I watched his Letterman appearance recently. I see what you're saying though, that was a good time for cyberpunk stories.

But the real point here, watching Robotech instead of Macross the series for the first time in 2024? Yes I fainted. And just saying, word on the street is there are more story differences than suggested by the few eps compared there. I've seen the posts with the lists and stuff folks.

Macross sure rules.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 22, 2024

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
There are huge story differences between the two, the thing is it's entirely done through dialogue - for all intents and purposes they are 1:1 when it comes to footage, they didn't actually cut up or rearrange scenes anywhere - if you watched them muted they would be identical other than the OP/ED

Sudden white hot flash memory of that Robotech narrator that talks about EVERYTHING

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

FilthyImp posted:

I think the idea that people would be fans of an AI Artist may have been out there (because, like, the question of creative genesis and all). But Max Headroom was a series 7 years dead at that point and that dumb little thing created a HUGE 80s icon. And Hello Kitty continues to do gangbusters.
max headroom was just a guy in a mask and hello kitty is megumi hayashibara :confused:

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Macross is near and dear to my heart as it's one of the first animes I've seen (Zero and Plus specifically in 2007).

Although, another one that's also dear to me is Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne. I watched almost all of it (missing maybe the last few episodes?) in German on a channel I had on cable while not understanding German and trying to understand the show through visuals. For years I didn't know what it was called and just had a vague memory of it until I mentioned it to a friend and they said it sounded like KKJ. Watching it last year was a nice experience.

Despite only really getting into anime in the 2010s, I gravitate a lot toward the old stuff from the 80s and 90s. I do wonder how much KKJ and Plus have influenced that as they have those aesthetics.

TuxedoOrca fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 22, 2024

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Oh poo poo just realized a young Wendee Lee plays ones of the crew members.

At this point I'm watching it twice: Once with the Macek-red version (to experience the US's first exposure to almost every anime trope ever) followed by the original subbed.

Seemlar posted:

Sudden white hot flash memory of that Robotech narrator that talks about EVERYTHING

This old bag doesn't shut the gently caress up.

Are the original Southern Cross / Mosepeda worth looking up? Might do VOTOMS or Gasaraki next.

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 22, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've got so much nostalgia with Robotech watching it with my dad - who was so into it he watched it on its own when work meant he was living in another state - it's hard to re-watch for that reason and not anything else.

Also I do remember being irritated when Toonami brought it back but didn't show Invid.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Heavy Metal posted:

Max Headroom is an actor wearing make-up stuff, he's technically not AI either! We're cleaning up with our caveats and such. He is cool I watched his Letterman appearance recently. I see what you're saying though, that was a good time for cyberpunk stories.

TenementFunster posted:

max headroom was just a guy in a mask and hello kitty is megumi hayashibara :confused:
Yeah, but narratively it was an AI and culturally it was popular enough to get a knock-off/homage in BttF2. So I don't think the idea that people would be fans of digital performers was that alien. I think the big question wasn't that it was something new and strange, but rather if the product was any good.

Yeah I guess the HK thing is a reach. She's a popular fictional character that's pretty ubiquitous. I was just jumping to thoughts about fandoms for fictional entities.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Like if you remove Robotech from Harmony Gold it's an interesting adaptation and has it's own unique story bits that I'd be perfectly fine with getting more stuff for. But you can separate it from Harmony Gold and it's BS with Macross and that's sad in a way

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Like if you remove Robotech from Harmony Gold it's an interesting adaptation and has it's own unique story bits that I'd be perfectly fine with getting more stuff for. But you can separate it from Harmony Gold and it's BS with Macross and that's sad in a way

What's funny is Harmony Gold originally tested a played-straight dub of Macross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhenqCUWc8A

Interesting relic. Uses the same Robotech VA's and Anglicized names (albeit a halfway compromise with Ichijyo/Rick being named "Rick Yamada").

God awful opening theme too, but a peek into what could've been if it weren't for syndication rules.

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 27, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nightmare Cinema posted:

God awful opening theme too, but a peek into what could've been if it weren't for syndication rules.

You're not kidding. They should have just stuck with the Robotech theme.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dawgstar posted:

You're not kidding. They should have just stuck with the Robotech theme.
Sometimes you get a demo that just hits the mark so well that you'd be crazy not to go with it-- MMPR, Samurai Pizza Cats.

And then most other times you get stuff like... this. Big time "Lyrics to the Star Trek TOS theme" vibe here.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/AnimEigo/status/1782581210801439080

As somebody eloquently put it, 'animators who drew cars by hand are gods among men.'

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Was scrolling through streaming services on Sunday night looking for something to just veg out with, and all the sudden my wife goes "hey, do you think the Fatal Fury movie is on Crunchyroll?" and it turns out, yes, it is. I'd never seen it before but the wife wanted to take a trip down memory lane since she apparently loved it as a young teen and even convinced her parents to let her dress up as Mai Shiranui for Halloween

Unfortunately, the nostalgia did not hold up for her :lmao:

It's not great, and also they just straight up stole the Chun-Li shower scene from the Street Fighter 2 movie cuz there's a brief panning shot of Mai in an almost identical pose

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's one of the greatest films ever made, top tier Obari! It doesn't just hold up, it holds up any movie even near it like a shelf!

But it is great that your wife got into it and Mai and stuff. It is always a fascinating thing what will hold up or doesn't. I'll say for me, anime in particular tends to hold up. I feel like I kind of knew what I was getting at the time. It's more stuff like say I dunno Drop Dead Fred that I'll try and find don't hold up on rewatch.

Skypie posted:

also they just straight up stole the Chun-Li shower scene from the Street Fighter 2 movie cuz there's a brief panning shot of Mai in an almost identical pose

Now this is the kind of thing that is always fun to post. FF movie hit Japan in July '94, SF II movie in August '94! Boom! A win for SNK

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 23, 2024

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024

Dawgstar posted:

As somebody eloquently put it, 'animators who drew cars by hand are gods among men.'

Oh hell yes!

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

Now this is the kind of thing that is always fun to post. FF movie hit Japan in July '94, SF II movie in August '94! Boom! A win for SNK

See I wondered about the dates too, and I swear when I looked them up, the SF2 movie was a January of 94 release. But I was looking this up at 1am after I'd been moving boxes up and down 3 flights of stairs for like 7 hours.

I wonder what the hell I saw that was a Jan 94 release...

e: ok looking again, I think what I saw on Google was Street Fighter II V, which was January 96. I'd looked up FF first, saw July 94 then saw the SF2 thing for January and my brain just auto-completed the "19" to "1994" so welp

Skypie fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 23, 2024

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

TuxedoOrca posted:

Oh hell yes!

I recently dug out my riding bean VHS tape from idk, 25 years ago? It even had the little paper insert that came with it!

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Dawgstar posted:

Good God someone please make an Exaxxion anime yesterday.

Yes I know there'll need to be, uh... adaptation liberties taken

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Good God someone please make an Exaxxion anime yesterday.

Yes I know there'll need to be, uh... adaptation liberties taken

Apparently Sonada runs his family's candy store where he's from now.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dawgstar posted:

The Road Avenger anime I always wanted :aaaaa:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Dawgstar posted:

i could not think of a more troubling person to be in the position to make a credible offer of "Free Candy"

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Dawgstar posted:

Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/Benjamin_Taylor/status/1402173277393489920

But seriously, I also haven't read Gunsmith Cats since I found the unedited version ha ha... ha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah the whole “child sex worker character” has always been yeesh