Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
My oldest son has taken an interest in American History recently so I wanted together a chronology of movies. An issue i keep running into though is that these lists are made by people who are afraid of being judged or people who just dont give a poo poo at all. He's going to be 9 and asked me if he could watch Lincoln the other day but I know he'd get bored.

Anyone have suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The age and boredom factor are limiting.

-Apollo 13
-Newsies

Alternate American history:

-The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension
-Big Trouble in Little China
-Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Pillowpants posted:

He's going to be 9 and asked me if he could watch Lincoln the other day but I know he'd get bored.

Look, it's Spielberg. poo poo is well made enough to draw in a wide audience. It's worth a shot (maybe with some breaks in between).

But history couched in an adventure is always a good angle, e.g. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly or Bridge on the River Kwai.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just make sure to watch American History I through IX in order before you get to X, or it won't make any sense

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Prey just came out on Hulu which is an excellent docudrama of life on the Great Plains circa 1719.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Ken Burn's The West is pretty good. I think his documentaries are made well enough to hold a kid's attention if he's into the subject matter.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Prey just came out on Hulu which is an excellent docudrama of life on the Great Plains circa 1719.

Right after we watch Jason X To show how important the mission of NASA is

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Pee-wee's Big Adventure has some educational stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PdeHy_87OM

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Some more that came to mind recently:

Glory (1989)
Dances with Wolves (1990)
The Last of the Mohicans (1992)
Gettysburg (1993)

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Zogo posted:

Some more that came to mind recently:

Glory (1989)
Dances with Wolves (1990)
The Last of the Mohicans (1992)
Gettysburg (1993)

This is a good list. Midway 2019 has some Hollywood over the topness but there's also a lot of real history in there.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Despite releasing in the 1980s, they managed to make a documentary about modern life in Detroit, it was called Robocop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
"The Birth of a Nation" and "Gone With the Wind" double feature. Followed by American History X.

This is also a quick test of your parenting and whether you need to Scott Adams your kid.