Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I've been reading A Half Built Garden and was wondering if TBB had any opinions on it or other queer sci fi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I haven't read A Half Built Garden, but for queer-friendly SF I'm a big fan of Becky Chambers. A Long Way To A Small Angry Planet is a solid starting point. Seth Dickenson's The Traitor Baru Comorant has a gay protagonist and is excellent as well.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
le guin, the left hand of darkness

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

TheFluff posted:

le guin, the left hand of darkness

Tried it, got bored after a few confusing pages, don't feel compelled to try again, D

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Liquid Communism posted:

I haven't read A Half Built Garden, but for queer-friendly SF I'm a big fan of Becky Chambers. A Long Way To A Small Angry Planet is a solid starting point. Seth Dickenson's The Traitor Baru Comorant has a gay protagonist and is excellent as well.

I've read all of Becky's work. A lot of vaguely interesting ideas that don't get explored, and a lot less queer than the marketing makes it out to be. C+

Never tried The Traitor, what do you like about it, and is by a queer writer?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

tokin opposition posted:

Tried it, got bored after a few confusing pages, don't feel compelled to try again, D

You probably should, it’s extremely rewarding in spite of being slightly dense and getting off to a bit of a slow start. But then, it’s one of my absolute favorite books of all time so I’m probably more than a little biased.

Frankly, all or Le Guin’s work has a slightly queer bent or queer elements, even the ones that don’t even really deal directly or indirectly with gender identity. Like In her novel The Dispossessed, I seem to recall that the (heterosexual) protagonist has a friend in his youth who is referred to as “probably gay” and whom the protagonist stays with (and apparently has sex with) over a couple weeks - this takes place on a planet with an anarchic political system and a somewhat collectivist society, and I got the sense that this was more an example of a much more relaxed attitude toward masculine gender roles than any sort of personal statement about the sexuality of the main character, though.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I struggled with The Left Hand of Darkness too, before I went away and read some more accessible Le Guin first. It's a great book but I don't begrudge anybody bouncing off it. Acknowledging that it requires some pushing through, it is worth pushing through on.

While I'm here, The Locked Tomb.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Machineries of Empire is very good and very gay.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I struggled with The Left Hand of Darkness too, before I went away and read some more accessible Le Guin first. It's a great book but I don't begrudge anybody bouncing off it. Acknowledging that it requires some pushing through, it is worth pushing through on.

While I'm here, The Locked Tomb.

Seconding the Locked Tomb, especially if you like messy, messy character dynamics

I'd also recommend Kameron Hurley's books. She seems to operate on a Queer Woman Protag As Default principal. The Bel Dame Apocrypha is good for some pulpy action-sci-fi and The Light Brigade is really good

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Rereading locked tomb, listening to locked tomb podcast, and realizing that queer women have a culture I don’t get and it permeates the book.

So congratulations to getting this into a best-seller because goddamn I’m now revisiting so much (straight, but dad gay so what).

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Remulak posted:

Rereading locked tomb, listening to locked tomb podcast, and realizing that queer women have a culture I don’t get and it permeates the book.

So congratulations to getting this into a best-seller because goddamn I’m now revisiting so much (straight, but dad gay so what).

oh hey my dad's gay too :yeah:

newts
Oct 10, 2012
I enjoyed Dark Water’s Embrace by Stephen Leigh.

Summary doesn’t really do it justice, but it’s pretty queer

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Goon book The Dawnhounds

The Spear Cuts Through Water

I guess those are more fantasy than sf but it's all the same genre to me anyway.

Miles Blundell
May 7, 2023

by Pragmatica
Delaney's dhalgren doesn't have spaceships in it but one of the characters says he's in a sci-fi story so I think it counts. It's a pretty cool book.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

tokin opposition posted:

Try it again, you don’t really need to particularly agree or disagree with what it says, it’s just worth it for the beauty of her language

“It had not rained, here on these north-facing slopes. Snow-fields stretched down from the pass into the valleys of moraine. We stowed the wheels, uncapped the sledge-runners, put on our skis, and took off—down, north, onward, into that silent vastness of fire and ice that said in enormous letters of black and white DEATH, DEATH, written right across a continent. The sledge pulled like a feather, and we laughed with joy.”

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Counterpoint, I’ve tried to get into leguin over and over but I just can’t do it. I read for stories, not for prose, and her stories don’t do anything for me.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
:mad:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Nae posted:

Counterpoint, I’ve tried to get into leguin over and over but I just can’t do it. I read for stories, not for prose, and her stories don’t do anything for me.

Read omelas and quote it so you sound smart at parties.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Lawman 0 posted:

Read omelas and quote it so you sound smart at parties.

I’d rather let other people do that and say “I’m the one who walks away from this conversation.”

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Nae posted:

short stories are always a solid bet if you are tiktok-tier like this

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Nae posted:

I’d rather let other people do that and say “I’m the one who walks away from this conversation.”

Nice.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The ones who see Omelas and do a 360

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

General Battuta posted:

The ones who see Omelas and do a 360 noscope

Meningism
Dec 31, 2008
Ancillary Justice by Anne Leckie is wonderful sci-fi and features a gender-blind society. Strong recommend.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I liked A Half Built Garden a lot, but DNF for some reason? I really enjoyed the post-fall of capitalism world and the aliens were super interesting. You might like her book Winter Tide, which is set in Cthulu mythos world.

Seconding the Imperial Radch series by Ann Leckie, which would include the original Ancillary etc trilogy, Provenance and the new book, Translator State. There's some vauge queer romance but mostly it just feels....gay. It's a gay galaxy.

I pretty much only really like reading stuff if it's gay or has queer vibes so here's my list, also some of these aren't sci fi but are fantasy and also there's some horror:

Karin Tidbeck - Amatka
Ness Brown - The Scourge Between Stars
Chana Porter - The Seep, The Thick and the Lean
Annalee Newitz - Autonomous, The Terraformers
Emily Tesh - Some Desperate Glory, Silver in the Wood
Andrew F. Sullivan - The Marigold
Gretchen Felker-Martin - Manhunt
Martha Wells - Murderbot series
Hiron Ennes - Leech
Becky Chambers - Wayfarers, Monk and Robot
Everina Maxwell - Winter's Orbit, Ocean's Echo
Marina J Lostetter - Activation Degradation
Olga Ravn - The Employees
Maya Deane - Wrath Goddess Sing
Sam J. Miller - Blackfish City
Kameron Hurley - The Stars Are Legion
Tamsyn Muir - The Locked Tomb series
Caitlin Starling - The Luminous Dead
Kate Elliott - Unconquerable Sun, Furious Heaven

Haven't read, but have been recommended:
Al Hess - World Running Down
Malka Older - The Mimicking of Known Successes
Janelle Monae - The Memory Librarian
Tessa Gratton - Lady Hotspur
Nicola Griffith - Ammonite
Kayla Cottingham - This Delicious Death
Emmett Nahil - Let Me Out

big dyke energy fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 13, 2023

K3nT3n
Oct 8, 2015
If you see me posting my own tweets, please report me so I will be probated for a month.
Is it okay to plug this book in here?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

K3nT3n posted:

Is it okay to plug this book in here?

snip

"Template Guild is an ancient organization that has survived until modern times. Part secret society, part private intelligence agency, it seeks to find the true nature of reality and the meaning of existence. Lead by the Head Honcho, Ken, these fine men, women, and extradimensional entities walk down the darkest path in order to gain new understanding of alpha and omega; past and future. Some say that they are the only ones who truly exist and we are all nothing more than stardust memories."

Desire to k........