Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

futureproofed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Flubby posted:

Are Fishmen humans that adapted to the ever rising sea? Is this Waterworld? Probably not, but they sure will benefit. Lots of free underwater cities coming their way.

Makes sense that the WG would want to persecute them. If the Fishmen had expanded they'd be set up to take over the planet in the future.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Flubby posted:

Are Fishmen humans that adapted to the ever rising sea? Is this Waterworld? Probably not, but they sure will benefit. Lots of free underwater cities coming their way.

One Piece is just a sequel to Seveneves.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Nephthys posted:

Makes sense that the WG would want to persecute them. If the Fishmen had expanded they'd be set up to take over the planet in the future.

I do wonder if this could backfire if the WG tries to shift the blame on the Fishmen somehow. "Yes the world is sinking, clearly this was an evil Fishman plot all along and peace is now totally impossible, lets go blow up Fishman Island and enslave them all and forget the fact that we're living right on top of what will probably be the only livable piece of land left in a few years!"

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Housing costs in Water 7 are about to skyrocket.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I do wonder if this could backfire if the WG tries to shift the blame on the Fishmen somehow. "Yes the world is sinking, clearly this was an evil Fishman plot all along and peace is now totally impossible, lets go blow up Fishman Island and enslave them all and forget the fact that we're living right on top of what will probably be the only livable piece of land left in a few years!"

Depends on how far down that hole where Lulusia used to be goes I guess.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

futureproofed
In what way? Just that it's tall? I'm still not seeing it.

Red Perchiyama
Jul 23, 2017
The upper sections have way more windows and potential entrances than the trunk does, with only a couple down there. Ohara was preparing to plug the lower part and just climb and in out of the top part of the tree if they had to.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i didn't read it as "futureproofed"; to me, it reads like the bulging section was where the waterline ended during the last great deluge, and so the tree was only able to grow out from there until the water receded again. the tree's supposedly 5000 years old, so it could even be the result of countless cycles of cataclysmic flooding over the history of the planet

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The tree being called “Omniscience” feels important to this as well. It’s a location that is aware of the past and the future.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Vermain posted:

i didn't read it as "futureproofed"; to me, it reads like the bulging section was where the waterline ended during the last great deluge, and so the tree was only able to grow out from there until the water receded again. the tree's supposedly 5000 years old, so it could even be the result of countless cycles of cataclysmic flooding over the history of the planet

this was my impression as well

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Queen Otohime's death is a tragic loss for us all

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Flushed too soon.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

RIP to the one woman post-timeskip with a normal frame.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

RIP to the one woman post-timeskip with a normal frame.

The only flat chested woman I think

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

One of those reddit threads pointed out that with Water 7 the water levels weren't necessarily rising year over year, but that the island of Water 7 itself was sinking. Which yeah I guess that's something we could have thought more about

Kind of makes me wonder if the vaporizing of that one island causing the water levels to rise was like... somehow causing everything else to sink a little further all at once. Accelerating whatever is going on with this world. I remember people at the time thinking it was weird it made this giant sink hole but still caused increasing water levels

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Housing costs in Water 7 are about to skyrocket.

They’re gonna have to call it Waters 8 soon!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
they're going to point the weapon at the moon and destroy it which finishes the job and this is why enel comes back

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

Wondering if the sea level rising is a birdcage type thing kicked off by Imu or Joyboy

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Wondering if the sea level rising is a birdcage type thing kicked off by Imu or Joyboy

the fishbowl......

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh gently caress, is the anime getting to the Kuma flashback?

https://x.com/Eiichiro_Staff/status/1784395391250940147

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/ratsiclesss/status/1783845184733675542

bold, i like it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waffleman_ posted:

The Kuma flashback was sooooooo recent compared to where the anime is, nah

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

https://x.com/Eiichiro_Staff/status/1784395391250940147

no, its the part where vegapunk lures bonney to kumas memory room

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Paper Lion posted:

until recently theres never been any direct mention of sea level rise, and that mention was only after an entire island was disappeared so everyone assumed it was some amount of mass redistributing. the reason why the sea would be rising, by how much, whether it could be prevented, or how to mitigate its effects are now the burning questions. its likely related to the fact that there are far fewer moons in the sky than there once were, which i imagine are also part of why phenomenon like the grand line and calm belt exist around the equator

it's something that's been on the table since water 7 at the very least (and i'd note that vegapunk says that the world is sinking, which is also how water 7 was described, as opposed to the sea level rising - idk if this is an important distinction but maybe?) and historical sea level changes were also made pretty explicit during wano

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

lih posted:

it's something that's been on the table since water 7 at the very least (and i'd note that vegapunk says that the world is sinking, which is also how water 7 was described, as opposed to the sea level rising - idk if this is an important distinction but maybe?) and historical sea level changes were also made pretty explicit during wano

sinking happens when the sea level rises and aqua laguna is based on a phenomenon specifically related to temporary high tides, or sea level rise. sinking is relative to the body of water, not absolute.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

i do actually think all the times nami has expressed some degree of physical attraction its been toward women

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

tbp posted:

i do actually think all the times nami has expressed some degree of physical attraction its been toward women

There were particularly strong vibes with her and Vivi so this tracks

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

HerraS posted:

The building has windows even though most of it is unda da sea

Aaaah. Yeah maybe! It does read a slight stretch that Impel Down was flooded over, given how tall it is. And it makes enough sense that you would want devil fruit users under water anyway.

New reveal has a lot of fun cooks. Favorite from reddit so far:

Rayleigh getting into the ship coating business and Crocus loving off to live inside a big whale after learning "the true history".

quote:

One reason Roger inspired people to take to the seas may have been so more people would have ships, letting more people survive a flood that would be caused by the World Government

More pirates -> more ships -> more possible survivors

quote:

Going Merry Den Mushi

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sanji's dream is All Blue.
All Blue = Planet covered in ocean
Sanji is a Celestial Dragon plant confirmed

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

after the last chapter, my strong suspicion on the history of the world is that the planet undergoes periodic catastrophic deluges as a result of a syzygy in the solar system that occurs every 800-900 years. the orrery in ohara wasn't showing mysterious lost moons, but the actually existing planets, and they'd been able to figure out that the next deluge was imminent. the world elders know that the red line will be one of the only survivable spots left on the planet, which is why they've spent the past millenia consolidating their power and preparing weapons like the mother flame: it will let them stop any assaults dead in their tracks and level any other islands that might be tall enough to survive, meaning that the world will be cleansed of "inferior" people and they'll be able to emerge as the true gods of a new world after. this is also probably why the elders all take the names of planets, since it's their alignment that will allow them to rule indefinitely

i made a joke about it a billion years ago but i'm actually convinced that the one piece proper is a spaceship. i think the intent before the void century was to temporarily evacuate the planet via the one piece, and then use the ancient weapons to reshape the land (pluton), sea (poseidon), and sky (uranus) in a way that would keep the world safe during the next celestial alignment (and probably create a generally better world to boot), but the twenty kingdoms opposed the idea for a yet-unexplained reason, rebelled, and took control. they suppress knowledge of the void century not merely to hide their crimes, but also to leave everyone unprepared for the next celestial alignment so that they can continue to keep the world under their thumb when it hits

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I've also had a thought about Imu in this as well. When Sabo attacks a giant human form is extending from the throne.

All the Elders have been based on various demonic Yokai. Imu has been speculated to be a Umibōzu which is a sea spirit. We now know he is very likely directly tied to the sea rising, We don't know if their powers are based on Devil Fruits because of the weird telepathy and summon ritual they have.

Maybe these are just Yokai taking human form, to reign over them as powerful spirits and the sea level is directly tied to Imu being a Umibōzu? The Royal families are just people who sided with these spirits and are rewarded for not defying them

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Its fascinating how all of these past place designs that have often been written off as just eccentric, like Enies Lobby, Drum Island, Dressrosa's mushroom-cloud-ish kind of shape, and of course Impel Down, etc turn out to actually be precisely reasoned and be excellent worldbuilding.

The think striking me the most was Rayleigh ending his career to... become a ship-coater. Well that was random l o l. Oh wait - it wasn't. Holy gently caress.

The entire world of One Piece has seemed like a bunch of random things happening only because we don't know the context behind it. Oda has been taking us through a world through the eye of someone just living in it.

Another random fan theory thing that is probably definitely not 'random lol cool' then is back in Little Garden Dorry and Brogy talked about how strong they were and cool their swords were and said the only thing they can't cut "is the blood-stained serpent". Which would then likely be Jörmungdar, the world serpent from Norse mythology. Perhaps, water is rising and falling as the world serpent displaces water when it grows or shrinks.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

Vermain posted:

i'm actually convinced that the one piece proper is a spaceship.

know what else is a void where you could spend a century?

Space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if the wg knew about this then the current revolutionary plan of starving out mariejois wouldn't work. that they have the perfect stronghold to weather the world sinking but have not actually done anything to prepare it for this outcome says it all. instead, mariejois is completely dependent on the rest of the world continuing to exist under its rule.