Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

boz posted:

Source on this? Not showing on dumbass elon site so it either was deleted or fake.

that's the CEO of Arrowhead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

boz posted:

Source on this? Not showing on dumbass elon site so it either was deleted or fake.

https://twitter.com/Pilestedt/status/1787076609188483254

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I wonder if couldn’t say anything earlier due to it being a Sony mandate and not their own company. Sony may have wanted GoT to be the big game that rolls out psn to pc, big first party title vs. a smaller in scope game made by an independent company.

Delisting the game from stores in regions where psn isn’t available is where it turns into a real fiasco even if there are workarounds. They had to have known that was going to happen

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Mordiceius posted:

"We knew this would happen. We just didn't say anything."
Depends what you mean by "this". From earlier statements, it seems like the devs didn't realize that you couldn't make a PSN account in most of the world, so the only thing they didn't say was that eventually you'll need a PSN account. I don't think they knew there was a ticking timebomb waiting to go off.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Volte posted:

Depends what you mean by "this". From earlier statements, it seems like the devs didn't realize that you couldn't make a PSN account in most of the world, so the only thing they didn't say was that eventually you'll need a PSN account. I don't think they knew there was a ticking timebomb waiting to go off.

I mean, that's the thing though. There are plenty of people who play PC exclusively and don't have/want a PSN account. Dropping this on them months after they've been enjoying the game is a gently caress-up from all sides. The devs absolutely knew this was going to happen and should have been more vocal about it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Soul Glo posted:

Gamepass owns actually

I think the point is that it doesn't seem to be making any kind of broad impact or holding Sony to account. I turn it on and off on PC to play games for ten bucks.

Maybe in five years when the wheel has fully turned to subscription games and cloud poo poo it will be an I told you so moment for MS.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SettingSun posted:

Hiding that is a big deal. No one is looking good coming out of this.

I mean, it’s a free login account that people don’t want to bother with, not a human trafficking scandal lol

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Maybe only tangentially related, but I’ve been calling it Helldiapers Poo :D

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I could see the PSN account requirements being a bit of a wet blanket on the runaway smash success that no one would have predicted for HD2. Cynically, it was probably better to let it cook like it did and then take the walloping later on

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

I mean, it’s a free login account that people don’t want to bother with, not a human trafficking scandal lol

It's extremely dumb for a business that is facing capital G Gamers as customers to not see that this would trigger a meltdown. There's also the issue with non PSN countries.

It's a bad situation for the new darling dev to have put themselves in.

biceps crimes posted:

Cynically, maybe it was better to let it cook like it did and then take the walloping later on

Yeah they already got paid and the game is away. I don't think they're taking any kind of meaningful hit financially, but the good will will have to wait until they release the next faction.

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 6, 2024

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

game owns. gamers are trash. corpos gonna corpo. the sun still rises.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

that's the CEO of Arrowhead

Yeah I know who he is, I'm just bad at twitter and couldn't find it.

Appreciate that, sorry if what I said came off untrustworthy.

I should have also put "or I'm poo poo at finding tweets"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

boz posted:

Appreciate that, sorry if what I said came off untrustworthy.

I should have also put "or I'm poo poo at finding tweets"

No worries. I don't begrudge anyone who hates the hellsite. It also doesn't help that if you're not logged in to twitter and you go to a specific account's page, you won't see their most recent tweets, only a random assortment of multi-year old tweets. (So basically useless)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SettingSun posted:

Hiding that is a big deal. No one is looking good coming out of this.

I don’t think they were hiding anything

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JBP posted:

It's extremely dumb for a business that is facing capital G Gamers as customers to not see that this would trigger a meltdown. There's also the issue with non PSN countries.

It's a bad situation for the new darling dev to have put themselves in.

Oh it was dumb as hell for sure. They should have known by now that Gamers™ are demented, have nothing else going on in their lives and will waste endless energy and time raging over having to make a free account that takes about 1 minute to create. For the record I hate those third party logins in any game but it's more like "dang. Guess I'll make this stupid account" not viva la revolución. Just glanced at the HD2 reddit and fuckin :lol: Haven't even checked the thread here, I bet it's bad.

I do however find it very funny that Sony wants successful GAAS games so bad that they bought Bungie. Then this little game they didn't even bother to promote ends up dominating out of nowhere, but also Sony can't really get predatory because gamers would burn down their HQ since the game has become some sort of weird symbol for something I can't really explain. Absolutely rabid fanbase it's wild. They are basically stuck selling new armor for $1.99 forever while the same thing in COD is like $25 haha.

Anyways HD2 kicks rear end and most people are gonna keep playing it regardless of what they say cause Gamers are also full of poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am mostly just thankful not to have to hear the constant fawning over how HD2 is the GOOD Live Service game actually.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

I am mostly just thankful not to have to hear the constant fawning over how HD2 is the GOOD Live Service game actually.

it still is btw

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

Why? All you need to do is sign up to PSN as John Halo from johnhalo69@aol.net password SonySUX420! and ur done

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

it still is btw

Nah, for pay battle passes suck no matter what they are in.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

It's good actually. Sorry you feel this way.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
You can get the battle passes by finding super credits in game though?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Nah. They are fine and HD2 has a better handling of it than most games.

it's not like I get particular enjoyment from battle passes, but spending an optional 10 bux on a game with ongoing support every couple of months seems like a fair compromise. there's a bunch of worse alternatives to battle passes and I don't expect developers to keep supporting games for literal years and not expect anything in return. At least battle passes are affordable and optional. In the case of HD2 you can actually just earn the money for them in game which is pretty unusual.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1787331667616829929

PlayStation actually got spooked and is bailing on the PSN implementation plan for Helldivers 2 on PC.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gamers rise up

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Incredible stuff.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The money exec finally won the argument over the PSN accounts exec

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The game getting delisted from Steam in so many countries and the publicity surrounding that can't have been good.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

univbee posted:

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1787331667616829929

PlayStation actually got spooked and is bailing on the PSN implementation plan for Helldivers 2 on PC.

This is next level poo poo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

JBP posted:

Gamers rise up

This op.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fun discovery I made.

- Steam's breakdown of regions is insanely granular
- DPRK is a valid Steam region
- Helldivers 2 was available for purchase there before this blew up

I choose to believe Kim Jong-Un personally intervened to make this happen.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

univbee posted:

Fun discovery I made.

I imagine he plays in a movie theater that is packed full of citizens who have to cheer for him.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

univbee posted:

Fun discovery I made.

The juche is loose

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Looks like raging over a videogame got more effective since the MW2 PC boycott days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

haveblue posted:

The money exec finally won the argument over the PSN accounts exec

The actual question is who was the arbiter? Because, good shoot, new guy.

Fix fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 6, 2024