Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Rageaholic posted:

Maed's experience is valid, but I've been using Spotify for 8 years and haven't noticed it getting any shittier. Going back to having a big library of my own music files that I have to manage and sync in 2024 like I used to have in 2016 sounds like a gigantic pain in the rear end, so I'll keep using Spotify for as long as it's usable.

they keep raising prices and their voice command integration is straight up broken now, i can't even listen to music in the shower cause it keeps playing live or radio versions or just can't understand what i want anymore. i had to have it play an album and then skip ahead to the song i wanted because it could not understand what i wanted it to play

they also have a monthly audiobook cap which i hit last month just listening to stuff to fall asleep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Spotify is mad at Apple about their app store fees and refuses to implement Airplay2 support for their app so Spotify is worse with Apple HomePods.

I can't say I'm the biggest fan of the way Spotify handles music libraries, as well - Is there really no way to view my library's entire catalog of songs (NOT all liked songs)? You also can't view your library's songs by genre? Library filtering and sorting seems really bad on Spotify.

Also I don't care about podcasts or audiobooks or whatever, I want a better music player.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 5, 2024

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Spotify is right to be mad, when its main competitor on the platform doesn't have to cough up these 30%, because it owns the platform.

Also, what a horrible piece of poo poo the new Apple Music app on Windows is. Every single action has to be server verified, as such it's a slow hog. And for some reason, despite having this decent accent color in dark mode, it's not being used in key places, like for instance the playback progress bar.

Then again, when I spend some time figuring out if things improved, people are saying similar things about the Mac version.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Spotify certainly knows a thing or two about unfair revenue sharing :catstare:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Spotify has had a reader app exemption for like 3 years now to bypass Apple's IAP cut. And yeah, they pay artists worse than every other music streaming services and instead threw billions at anti-vax covid deniers like Joe Rogan and a bunch of podcasts that ended.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 5, 2024

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

At the same time they laid off a poo poo load of people and did it in a lovely way. There was also a twitter thread forever ago of someone working at Spotify getting all this negative feedback as a reason for being let go and she was like "You always gave me glowing reviews and never indicated once that I was under-performing".

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The 2 things AM has that I really gently caress with over Spotify are being able to upload my own poo poo and it keeps it in the cloud or whatever. Second, if someone uploads some lovely looking album art I can change it myself and it'll just work.

Honestly if Spotify just let me upload my own album art I'd go back to it maybe. Oh and another thing they could do is stop doing the wack rear end A/B tests, I feel like I have a different version of the app every day. They just remove stuff constantly.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Maed posted:

the enshittification of Spotify has gotten to me too much for me so back to playing my own music files, what are good audio player apps for ios nowadays?

doppler

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/doppler-mp3-flac-player/id1468459747

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

rafikki posted:

Man, that was buried. Thanks! It does a decent job, but sometimes struggles telling her and her sisters apart.

Meanwhile mine is often able to recognize friends in full face makeup cosplays with wigs on.

Truly a land of contrasts.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Skeezy posted:

Oh and another thing they could do is stop doing the wack rear end A/B tests, I feel like I have a different version of the app every day.

I’m so tired of this across all apps. It makes diagnosing issues so annoying. I really hate app culture and the fear about letting something just be good enough

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A/B testing sucks so hard. It’s hosed up to give users the gaslighting experience when they try to get help with an issue and people say whatever feature doesn’t exist.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

buglord posted:

I’m so tired of this across all apps. It makes diagnosing issues so annoying. I really hate app culture and the fear about letting something just be good enough

It annoys the poo poo out of me because they could just easily run a Testflight build and do all the funky stuff in there. Hell, I'd gladly join a TF for that.

Edit: Another thing I hate Spotify for is removing the Car View, I was one of the weirdos that liked it.

Edit 2: Man while I'm at it, I don't mind them adding Podcasts but they need to add some features like proper chapter support and volume boost/silence trimming.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

rafikki posted:

Man, that was buried. Thanks! It does a decent job, but sometimes struggles telling her and her sisters apart.

Oh of course, the SIL is your wife's sister.

I had it that you and your brother both married very similar looking women.