Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I was liking gunbreaker for a while, feeling pretty good about learning the role, but a few missteps in the Alexander raids have set my confidence back a bit. There are a couple fights in the series that require (or heavily encourage) tank swaps, and not knowing that going in can make for a pretty bad time. I guess there are certain tells, like when an attack has "double" in the name, or you see special vulnerability stacks building up on the main tank. But in A5N, with the goblin that grows big, I didn't know you wanted to specifically wait for the concussion on the fourth stack (which clears the stacks) before swapping, so I ended up putting us both at three stacks. Plus there's still the occasional dungeon that gives me trouble, like the first part of Bardam's Mettle, and I feel like a bad tank when I end up pulling too much and dying.

On the other hand, I also picked up sage recently, and once I wrapped my head around the toolkit, it's been a much easier time. You really don't need to know a whole lot about any given encounter, even going in completely blind. Remember the names of raid-wide attacks and try to Kerachole/E-Prog the next time they come up, then just use whatever skill is appropriate to keep the tank's health from dropping too much/too quickly. In dungeons, the tank is the one deciding how much to pull, and I just have to try and heal through the damage.

I'll probably come around again on gunbreaker soon, but right now I feel like I just have to get better at reading encounters in general. I actually find it easier as sage than as my first job, dragoon, which takes just a little too much attention to remember the "proper" sequences of various oGCD skills to weave between the very rigid 10-GCD rotation while also trying to focus on mechanics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

404notfound posted:

Plus there's still the occasional dungeon that gives me trouble, like the first part of Bardam's Mettle, and I feel like a bad tank when I end up pulling too much and dying.

If it's any comfort, the first section of Bardam's Mettle is widely regarded as one of the most challenging pulls in the post-ARR game; the caster mobs can do a ton of damage during the pull, and if you're going for full pulls to the minibosses, it can add up even without doing anything wrong. Those pulls suck and needing to split them doesn't make you a bad tank.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Also, that Alexander fight is like the only time tank swaps come up in normal difficulty content, and usually just results in the tank dying. That flight in general is kind of a mess unless most people remember the gimmicks.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Oh yeah, "nobody remembers the gimmick and it takes a few deaths/a wipe to get people sorted" is the natural state of a lot of the Alex raids

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Most of the game has a very consistent visual language, but while they've updated a lot of old content, they haven't really touched Alexander. There's a lot of mechs that will tear you apart, but it doesn't telegraph what you're supposed to do. It doesn't quite fit modern encounter design, and getting blown up a few times is easily forgivable.

I still don't know how Brawler works and I don't plan to learn.

e: and Bardam's Mettle is notorious for having a few really hairy wall-pulls. Just don't try to rush it and you'll be ok.

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 1, 2024

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

404notfound posted:

I was liking gunbreaker for a while, feeling pretty good about learning the role, but a few missteps in the Alexander raids have set my confidence back a bit. There are a couple fights in the series that require (or heavily encourage) tank swaps, and not knowing that going in can make for a pretty bad time. I guess there are certain tells, like when an attack has "double" in the name, or you see special vulnerability stacks building up on the main tank. But in A5N, with the goblin that grows big, I didn't know you wanted to specifically wait for the concussion on the fourth stack (which clears the stacks) before swapping, so I ended up putting us both at three stacks. Plus there's still the occasional dungeon that gives me trouble, like the first part of Bardam's Mettle, and I feel like a bad tank when I end up pulling too much and dying.

On the other hand, I also picked up sage recently, and once I wrapped my head around the toolkit, it's been a much easier time. You really don't need to know a whole lot about any given encounter, even going in completely blind. Remember the names of raid-wide attacks and try to Kerachole/E-Prog the next time they come up, then just use whatever skill is appropriate to keep the tank's health from dropping too much/too quickly. In dungeons, the tank is the one deciding how much to pull, and I just have to try and heal through the damage.

I'll probably come around again on gunbreaker soon, but right now I feel like I just have to get better at reading encounters in general. I actually find it easier as sage than as my first job, dragoon, which takes just a little too much attention to remember the "proper" sequences of various oGCD skills to weave between the very rigid 10-GCD rotation while also trying to focus on mechanics
Yeah as people have said that's the only tank swap in the normal game (and thank loving god for that, tank swapping with pugs on a regular basis would be a nightmare) and to add onto it the first few pulls on Bardam's Mettle are brutal. Even I, someone who double pulls every chance I get, will hesitate unless I have a really good healer or am playing Warrior.

In Savage/Extreme content tank swaps are easy. Since hard content is more like learning a dance routine you'll always know exactly when to provoke/shirk.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's the "obvious" and possibly the hardest hitting one, but definitely not the only one. Especially the Alex series has a lot of mechanics applying vuln debuffs of some sort and other mechanics you're supposed to share or swap tanks for. Newbie tanks often get flattened by them, especially since the EW stat squish made the Alex raids more dangerous (bosses last longer, fewer phases get skipped, bosses hit harder). Most of these mechanics are survivable if you anticipate them with mitigations or a shield healer, but they can all be deadly with bad healers, bad gear or without proper cooldown use.

A3: Pepsiman hands deal blunt resistance down, you're supposed to offtank the 2nd hand in a different direction but nobody ever does, so the stacks add up very quickly. In the final phase the regular cleave will also add the blunt resistance down debuff, if the boss doesn't die fast enough you'll die or have to swap.
A5: Already covered, you're supposed to swap just before Ratfinx Twinkledinks' tankbuster, but it's still survivable if you're swapping sooner (you'll have fewer vuln stacks).
A6: Brawler's double laser should be shared.
A7: Uplander doom will stack physical vulnerability up on the current MT, swap or challenge your healers.
A8: Onslaughter's perpetual ray will add magic vulnerability up, if you don't swap you may or may not die to hydrothermal missile. Brute Justice's double rocket punch should be shared.
A9: Faust Z has a big cleave that has the potential to one-shot tanks, but it can be shared with the 2nd tank.

orcane fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 1, 2024

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

O4 also has a tank swap iirc, but that's one of the only times I can remember in anything less than an Extreme, and it's definitely the most recent one in one of those I'm aware of.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

e4n has a tankbuster that applies a vuln, but it's very mild and can easily be ignored

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
A lot of these tank busters are overgeared by three tiers of ilvl at this point, so they hit like a noodle regardless. The o4 and e4 ones were easier to do the swap properly than heal through at the time.

I think E10 also has one but just doesn’t do any appreciable damage if you have the vuln. It’s kinda a shame they’re tuned quite so easily. They could have a tank vulnerable marker or something to help out newer players.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

orcane posted:

A9: Faust Z has a big cleave that has the potential to one-shot tanks, but it can be shared with the 2nd tank.

:O that's a split tankbuster? I've been doing "hit mitigation and pray" this whole time.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

sorry wrong thread!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Wrong thread

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Well, I'll grant that's simpler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Nitrousoxide posted:

Well, I'll grant that's simpler

Yeah, there's a major DDOS attack ongoing. I'm seeing similar things trying to log on the EU servers.