Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

Airplane! deserves a mention for "Rubicon" films. I killed the Airport series so bad, no one's ever tried to reboot it.

Airplane disaster films still exist though. Blood Red Sky came out just last year.

Servoret fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Servoret posted:

Airplane disaster films still exist though. Blood Red Sky came out just last year.

Blood Red Sky is a vampire movie that happens to take place on an airplane :colbert:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Sir Kodiak posted:

If you pretend that Truth and Justice are the actual American Way then you’re making boneheaded nationalistic propaganda disconnected from reality. And if you allow for the possibility of positive American values of truth and justice in opposition to what the nation actually does, we had that, it’s Man of Steel.
Yeah, the actual subversive Superman movie would be rounding out the "trilogy" by having Superman himself becoming the alien invader Luthor always thought he was, who destroys Earth's military forces and other tools of oppression. The final action sequence ends with smiling people across the world emerging from shelters to the sight of the broken husks of tanks and carriers, followed up by a "ten years later" title card where we see those husks reclaimed for peaceful purposes. Happy grandpas swinging their grand children on swings attached to the barrel of a tank, people reef diving around a sunken carrier, and a guy unjustly sentenced to a long prison sentence at the start of the movie running a communal garden in a former jail.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
This feels like the film version of The Great Man of History argument. IMO it's an appealing narrative to say that certain individual films come along and completely change "the rules" but I don't know that it's ever really that simple.

I think the theory has much more merit in the personal sense. Everyone has film experiences that upend their views and expand their horizons. I just don't think it happens to film culture as a whole.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Edward Mass posted:

Airplane! deserves a mention for "Rubicon" films. I killed the Airport series so bad, no one's ever tried to reboot it.

Maybe also interesting for Leslie Nielsen's comic turn after a career thus far spent playing leading men and the occasional mean SOB in stuff like Four Rode Out and Day of the Animals (both great roles btw). Hard to imagine him today as anything but post-Airplane comedic Nielsen, while his existing serious persona at the time would have given extra weight to his comedic role.

Dr. Jerrold Coe fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 12, 2023

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Servoret posted:

Maybe so, but the Airport series was a disaster juggernaut of films and novelizations. You could probably argue that they were running out of steam at the time anyways with the risible Concord '79, and that it was only natural a spoof would come along at this point in the genre lifecycle, but Airplane was such a smash hit it not only poked fun at the series but totally eclipsed it.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Maybe so, but the Airport series was a disaster juggernaut of films and novelizations. You could probably argue that they were running out of steam at the time anyways with the risible Concord '79, and that it was only natural a spoof would come along at this point in the genre lifecycle, but Airplane was such a smash hit it not only poked fun at the series but totally eclipsed it.

Disaster films were already on their way out by the time Airplane was released, tho, because a ton of them had bombed over the previous five years or so.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Black Lighter posted:

Disaster films were already on their way out by the time Airplane was released, tho, because a ton of them had bombed over the previous five years or so.

Yeah you're right, I've compressed things too much, the series was already on the outs. When a genre's running down is the perfect time for spoofs to come onto the scene. I think Airplane is notable because of how successful it was vs the moribund genre it was riffing off. There's plenty of spoofs of genres like spaghetti westerns, sword and sandal, Bond/spy films which come along as those powerhouse genres start to get saturated and run out of steam, but they sink into the abyss along with the genres they're attached to, whereas Airplane has long outlasted the films it was parodying.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
^ For sure, Airport might've already been dying, but Airplane! stabbed it with a wooden stake and stuffed garlic down its throat.

I can't possibly imagine anyone trying to do a straight-forward reboot of Airport, especially if it tried to retain the eclectic all-star cast melodrama approach. Maybe you could get away with it as a TV/streaming miniseries - maybe. But as a feature probably the best you could hope for is a self-aware Dragnet-style half-comedy. The whole concept is just too obviously contrived and indulgent to take seriously, and the second it reminds anyone of Airplane it's all over. Any thrills to be had would be better put into a more streamlined action or suspense film.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

I think Airplane is notable because of how successful it was vs the moribund genre it was riffing off. There's plenty of spoofs of genres like spaghetti westerns, sword and sandal, Bond/spy films which come along as those powerhouse genres start to get saturated and run out of steam, but they sink into the abyss along with the genres they're attached to, whereas Airplane has long outlasted the films it was parodying.

I don't think anyone had quite seen a spoof like Airplane before - Mel Brooks was probably 80% of the way there, but there are a few things that make Airplane unique and subversive. As I mentioned, Airport was especially ripe for skewering. Then there was the commitment to using serious actors playing everything straight (ZAZ's original concept, before even "disaster movie spoof" was "a comedy without comedians").

And similarly, that it wasn't simply a pastiche of Airport and other movie moments - but it was a literal remake of another, lesser known airplane disaster film, and that made it feel credible. Not only does it work even if you have no idea of the existence of Airport, because it has the plot and story beats of a "real" movie, and if you do then you could almost believe that Airport might eventually produce an installment like this for real. It felt like Airplane was speaking the truth.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

^ For sure, Airport might've already been dying, but Airplane! stabbed it with a wooden stake and stuffed garlic down its throat.

I can't possibly imagine anyone trying to do a straight-forward reboot of Airport, especially if it tried to retain the eclectic all-star cast melodrama approach. Maybe you could get away with it as a TV/streaming miniseries - maybe. But as a feature probably the best you could hope for is a self-aware Dragnet-style half-comedy. The whole concept is just too obviously contrived and indulgent to take seriously, and the second it reminds anyone of Airplane it's all over. Any thrills to be had would be better put into a more streamlined action or suspense film.

I think another factor is that it's just easier/cheaper to make a different movie about a plane in distress or an earthquake hitting Los Angeles or people being stuck in a burning building. Besides The Poseidon Adventure, none of those movies really had memorable story hooks, so there's not much besides the name to hang a remake on. Plus after Star Wars, studios pretty quickly figured out that they could pay for top-of-the-line special effects or an all-star cast but they couldn't pay for both, so the formula became really hard to recreate.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

But Airplane! didn't bury the disaster movie, it just buried a very specific style of the disaster movie. Look at the 90s where the star-studded disaster film evolved into Armageddon, Deep Impact and Volcano, or more recent films like Geostorm, Moonfall and San Andreas.

But talking about airplane movies specifically -- there was just a movie out this winter called Plane! What about films only set *on* planes about averting disasters or hijackings? Air Force One, Con Air, Snakes on a Plane, Non-Stop, Flightplan... The list goes on. A quick google search shows a number of movies I haven't even heard of from the last few years, like The Captain, Horizon Line and Emergency Declaration.

So the point is, the airplane disaster movie in no way died after Airplane, it's just a particular style and tone for those movies -- particularly that melodrama style (which again, never really died it just became more modern, plenty of these films still have the child in need of an organ transplant/criminal with a heart of gold/single father trying to rescue his family/etc etc etc).

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
People saying Unforgiven killed westerns when True Grit almost won best picture back just...(checks calendar) THIRTEEN YEARS AGO??? Nevermind all the westerns that have come recently that were popular, such as The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

I personally don't think genres ever die they just tarnish. There's not 100 westerns coming out this year but there's probably 2 or 3.

We got Space Operas, Westerns, Slashers, Rom Coms, the list goes on. Though heist movies are pretty forgotten (for now).

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 13, 2023

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, the actual subversive Superman movie would be rounding out the "trilogy" by having Superman himself becoming the alien invader Luthor always thought he was, who destroys Earth's military forces and other tools of oppression. The final action sequence ends with smiling people across the world emerging from shelters to the sight of the broken husks of tanks and carriers, followed up by a "ten years later" title card where we see those husks reclaimed for peaceful purposes. Happy grandpas swinging their grand children on swings attached to the barrel of a tank, people reef diving around a sunken carrier, and a guy unjustly sentenced to a long prison sentence at the start of the movie running a communal garden in a former jail.

i too am waiting for a miracleman film

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You literally just gave me the impetus for George W Bush's invasion of Iraq in 2003. Incredible.

Fuligin posted:

i too am waiting for a miracleman film

This isn't the Miracleman film, Superman has to become a super-dictator and invent super-science poo poo for that. This is just a neolib fantasy.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Peanut President posted:

We got Space Operas, Westerns, Slashers, Rom Coms, the list goes on. Though heist movies are pretty forgotten (for now).

Heist films still get made pretty regularly, I think. In the past several years you got Logan Lucky, Widows, Triple Frontier, Wrath of Man, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Jurassic Park and its use of CGI seems like it would fit. CGI obviously predates it but I feel like this was the film where people collectively went 'oh, poo poo' and expectations became different