Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
I have a standing desk/treadmill/PC combination I use to get 10,000 steps a day while using my PC much of the day. I’m looking to design a system for placing an office chair above my treadmill for my standing desk because the treadmill is too difficult to move regularly. I have no real crafting or design experience. I’m making this post in case I miss a more obvious solution & to get advice.

I’m thinking I want either:
1. An alternative non-swivel mount system for the chair that (ideally) can be adjusted for different kinds of office chairs that will go above the treadmill. I like this idea best because touching the ground directly grants greater stability. Something a bit like this but with going around a treadmill underneath.
2. A self-supporting platform with edges to stop the wheels going off that goes around and above the treadmill. Probably wood material is cheapest.
3. An insanely wide chair with legs that can go around the treadmill. The width between the limbs has to be at least 27”, more like 27.25”, but there’s some possible candidates that could be wide enough like maybe http://www.vitalityweb.com/backstore/HumanTouch/Gravis_ZG_Massage_Chair_Recliner_Human_Touch.htm

Sources of ideas I’ve used so far: Pinterest, google image searches.

Everything I’ve found online is so far DIY, with wooden platforms, except for one German company that had this huge arm that went around the treadmill to the ground that could be moved to use the treadmill, but it was a totally in-house solution for their German stuff and didn’t look relevant to me. If I go with non-swivel mount system, I might be able to find something obscure but purchasable, but it’s not easy. If I go with a platform, it looks like I’ll have to commission help, probably a custom furniture maker.

Using my combination has given me more energy and enhanced productivity the past year, I’m absolutely convinced further improvement is worth it. I’d been using a stiff-backed chair but it started to give me back pain, and good office non-swivel chairs seem nearly impossible to find.

I’m open to using a software to design a mockup of what I want with measurements, though this may lend itself to approach #2. My brother recommended using Autodesk 360 but haven’t tried it yet.

What I’m hoping for in this thread (I don't expect much):
• What keywords to use to find something clever I haven’t seen yet.
• Advice whether a non-swivel mount system, platform or wide chair is the better general approach.
• Advice in case I missed a more obvious solution.
• Advice who to go to, what to ask for, how to prepare.
• Sources of ideas I should use (besides pinterest, google image search)

Thanks for your patience reading my long post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU