Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
We have once again made it another lap around the sun. That can mean only one thing

YEAR END AWARDS!

Voting for 2022 Punch Sport Pagoda MMA awards will run through January 21, at the conclusion of the Teixeira vs Hill main event, give or take when I remember to close submissions on the form.

Awards will be announced on February 4, ahead of Bader vs Fedor 2, because lol why not

Voting information:

You do not have to vote for every category. You do not have to vote for every rank in a given category

1st place votes will get 3.03 points
2nd place votes will get 2.02 points
3rd place votes will get 1.00 points

Again, DO NOT POST BALLOTS IN THIS THREAD

What you should do in this thread: Discuss, argue, make the case for nominees

To help refresh your memory, here is the 2022 Best and Worst Thread

Here is the form for 2022 Ballots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
A project I wanted to do this year that I didn't out of pure slothful laziness was to start watching each Fight of the Year nominee and give it a review/recap of why it was significant, what things led up to the fight, and so forth.

I might try to to do some recaps, but if anyone else wants to contribute, please join me

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Potential Fighter of the Year nominees:

Volkanovski: 2-0, 2 title defenses. TKO vs Zombie, Dec vs Holloway

Pereira: 3-0, won title. Dec vs Bruno Silva, TKO vs Strickland, TKO vs Adesanya

Makhachev: 2-0, won title. TKO vs Bobby Green, sub vs Oliveira

Sterling: 2-0, 2 title defenses. Dec vs Yan, TKO vs Dillashaw

Zhang: 2-0, won title. TKO vs Jedrzejczyk, sub vs Esparza

Christian Lee: 2-0, won 2 titles. TKO vs Ok Rae Yoon, TKO vs Abbasov

Patricio Pitbull: 3-0, won title, defended it. Dec vs McKee, Dec vs Borics, Dec vs Koike Erbst

Stots: 2-0, won interim title, defended it. KO vs Archuleta, Dec vs Sabatello

I suppose the PFL champs could be considered, given the amount of wins they need to rack up to get a title, but the quality of competition isn't that high. But hey, make a case for Ante Delija, I'll read it!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm not really too jazzed on any fighter of the year candidates this time around. I really like voting for fighters who are highly active at the top level, but I can't find anyone outside of PFL who did 4-0 or better.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

CommonShore posted:

I'm not really too jazzed on any fighter of the year candidates this time around. I really like voting for fighters who are highly active at the top level, but I can't find anyone outside of PFL who did 4-0 or better.

I was curious, so here's who PSP has awarded the award to in the past, with what they did that year:

2013: Chris Weidman - 2-0, 2 finishes. Won and defended MW title
2014: Robbie Lawler - 3-1, 1 finish. Won WW title
2015: Conor McGregor - 3-0, 3 finishes. Won interim and undisputed FW title
2016: Cody Garbrandt - 4-0, 3 finishes. Won BW title
2017: Max Holloway - 2-0, 2 finishes. Won and defended FW title
2018: Daniel Cormier - 3-0, 3 finishes. Defended LHW title, won and defended HW title
2019: Israel Adesanya - 3-0, 1 finish. Won interim and undisputed MW title
2020: Deiveson Figureirdo - 3-0-1, 3 finishes. Won and defended FlW title
2021: Charles Oliveira - 2-0, 2 finishes. Won and defended LW title

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

give me some suggestions for most improved.

I think I'm gonna do Pereira for fighter of the year followed by Volkanovski

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Also don't overlook Pacheco vs Harrison III for upset of the year, or Christian Echols vs Pat Downey, which was a fun fight in bellator that also happened to be the biggest oddsmaker upset of 2022.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

CommonShore posted:

give me some suggestions for most improved.

I think I'm gonna do Pereira for fighter of the year followed by Volkanovski

NCAA All-American Francis Ngannou

Angela Hill has started putting things together a bit more consistently

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nobody nominated Doug Crosby for scoring Danny Sabatello 50-45 over Stotts, which is the first time ever in MMA history that a dissenting judge has given a 50-45 in a split decision.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Honestly I didn't think it was that egregious compared to other decisions, just your run of the mill judges not knowing the scoring criteria.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

We have 4 ballots submitted already, yay

Also, might I interest anyone in Shakvat Rakhmonov for consideration for Breakout Fighter? He's been in UFC since 2020, but only had 1 fight in 2020 and 1 in 2021

He went 2-0 in 2022, a first round TKO over Carlston Harris, and a 2nd round submission over Neil Magny to keep his undefeated, all-finishes win streak alive.

I realize Pereira had a huge 2022 since he got the belt and everything, but Shavkat is a solid #2 option

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

LobsterMobster posted:

We have 4 ballots submitted already, yay

Also, might I interest anyone in Shakvat Rakhmonov for consideration for Breakout Fighter? He's been in UFC since 2020, but only had 1 fight in 2020 and 1 in 2021

He went 2-0 in 2022, a first round TKO over Carlston Harris, and a 2nd round submission over Neil Magny to keep his undefeated, all-finishes win streak alive.

I realize Pereira had a huge 2022 since he got the belt and everything, but Shavkat is a solid #2 option

Shavkat's #3 in my draft and I agonized over him vs Topuria; I cannot deny Pereira going from unranked to champion in a year for #1 and I also cannot deny Seika Izawa going 5-0 on the year (c'mon the first was 12/31/2021 it totally counts) and going from prospect to possible GOAT atomweight candidate for #2

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

You can manually override my ballot to put shavkat #2 if u want

But going from Alex Olievra to beating Magny is not as big a breakout as going from an mma question mark to beating a real fighter, a contendor, and a champion in one year

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Things I forgot to nominate (And vote for since I've already sent in my ballot):

Paulo Costa and Secret Juice

Johnny Walker getting kicked out of the arena while just wearing his fight shorts

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

getcher votes in

we got one more week for votes and are at 6 submitted ballots

Just Vote!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I will! I just get overwhelmed everytime I look at the ballot and how much I have to fill in!

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I voted, sorry for the amount of pasting I did from the nominees thread but my memory is bad and I crapped out on my tracking spreadsheet 2 months into 2022 because I was putting too many things in it.

I'm going to be more judicious about what gets added in 2023 so I have more of a chance to rewatch stuff and remember the best of the best stuff.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wanna double check to see if my submission went in or if that was a fever dream.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Mekchu posted:

Wanna double check to see if my submission went in or if that was a fever dream.

yes, there is a Mekchu ballot

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Ballot is in, I had to finally give up on the interview/social media bits 'cause I just have no brain for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Quick reminder, tomorrow is the cut off day for voting!

Once the PPV ends and I remember to do so, the google form will stop accepting submissions