Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

there was a random chinese lady nobody had ever heard of riding her second circumnavigation of the world on a ct90.

and that is why motorcycles are good. right there. lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

motorcycles are good yes and the things people do with them can be kind of amazing. Like the guy on ADVRider (yeah I know) whos whole schtick was riding various totally unsuitable harleys across western and eastern europe and russia including a shovelhead powered hard tail chopper from Amsterdam to the south tip of Japan. people think they need super capable stuff for just about anything when in reality whatever dumb bullshit you have laying around will probably work just fine

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there's a guy out there who did a ninja 500 dirtbike conversion using offroad shocks and knobby tires and man, i got one of those rotting in the back yard (my starter bike), how funny would that be. it was so fast lmao

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Arson Daily posted:

people think they need super capable stuff for just about anything when in reality whatever dumb bullshit you have laying around will probably work just fine

good advice for many things

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

the best part of long way round is that at the same time ewan and charley were doing their big adventure on their big fat BMWs with a cameraman and a million dollar budget and a support crew in unimogs always 20 miles behind,

there was a random chinese lady nobody had ever heard of riding her second circumnavigation of the world on a ct90.

i found a website about her years ago but it seems to have disappeared and i can't turn up anything about her since.

but yea

if nobody recorded it in a movie that's easy for me to watch it didn't happen

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

earlier today some guy on a motorcycle wearing shorts, a tank top and sandals was in a lane i was trying to change into on the interstate and he was looking down at something (his phone I think??) for a very, very long time while not noticing me or anyone else and almost hitting the guy in front of him cuz he was speeding and that guy wasn't

anyway it made me think of all y'all in this thread

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, those dudes exist, and they get a lot of hand wringey headlines while the rest of us just kinda disappear into the noise

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
tldr dont ever post anywhere in public that you're into motorcycles now. you will get a whole bunch of very wrong and weird but still grounded replies

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Arson Daily posted:

people think they need super capable stuff for just about anything when in reality whatever dumb bullshit you have laying around will probably work just fine

yah ppl getting the gear before they even start trying anything is a good sign they won’t actually do whatever it is they’re trying to do. you can do a lot of stuff with crappy gear and you’ll know when your tools are the limiting factor

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Arson Daily posted:

an electric super cub would be *perfect*. the CSC one is interesting but 30mph is just a little too slow and my fat rear end would probably limit it further. cmon honda you wont sell us the honda e at least give us this

There might be legal reasons they chose that top speed; I think in Seattle you can ride an electric vehicle on the road without registration so long as it tops out at 25 miles per hour (which of course if I was ever questioned and owned something that topped out at 30, I'd claim it topped out at 25).

Having a little electric "motorcycle" with a 25 mile per hour top speed (the city-wide legal speed limit in Seattle for non artery roads) that didn't require registration or insurance? Something so small you could probably park it in bike racks or on the sidewalk without anyone noticing or caring? That'd be pretty cool.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Internet Janitor posted:

"fun" modes of transport can be an excellent source of donor organs so long as donor registry is a compulsory component of motorcycle licensing

biker organs don't usually make it as donatable organs due to the gruesome damage they receive

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

goblin week posted:

biker organs don't usually make it as donatable organs due to the gruesome damage they receive

repeal helmet laws and you'll get lots more organs in a donatable state

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Arson Daily posted:

IMU's and lean sensitive traction control and ABS are good things but 37 different rider modes, TFT dashes and apple car play are indeed distractions that have no place on bikes.

yeah the reason I got this thing rather than the 600 was at the time the traction control and ABS was streets ahead on the 1000. it's a phenomenally good bike. it has a TFT display which is tbh excellent and much better than the poo poo LCD on my Scrambler.

it was also 13k CHF new in 2018 which seems to be half the going rate nowadays, total bargain.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://bsky.app/profile/cooperlund.bsky.social/post/3krqsgczu5s2i

aaaaand google’s ai search results told dril to drink 2 liters of piss to pass a kidney stone

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

yeah the reason I got this thing rather than the 600 was at the time the traction control and ABS was streets ahead on the 1000. it's a phenomenally good bike. it has a TFT display which is tbh excellent and much better than the poo poo LCD on my Scrambler.

it was also 13k CHF new in 2018 which seems to be half the going rate nowadays, total bargain.

Fireblades are so, so good. Litre bikes are too much for me on the street which is why I bought the ninja 4rr. I can rev to 15 thousand rpm in first and be going like 30 lol. TFT dashes can be good but lots aren't I feel. The new busa dash is great because its actual dials for speed and revs and then a little tft in the middle for all the other info which seems like a good compromise

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

https://bsky.app/profile/cooperlund.bsky.social/post/3krqsgczu5s2i

aaaaand google’s ai search results told dril to drink 2 liters of piss to pass a kidney stone

2 quarts (2 liters)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shame Boy posted:

2 quarts (2 liters)

close enough tbh

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Arson Daily posted:

Fireblades are so, so good. Litre bikes are too much for me on the street which is why I bought the ninja 4rr. I can rev to 15 thousand rpm in first and be going like 30 lol. TFT dashes can be good but lots aren't I feel. The new busa dash is great because its actual dials for speed and revs and then a little tft in the middle for all the other info which seems like a good compromise

the 4RR is an amazing idea and I'm so happy Kawasaki made it. glad you like it! back to the CBR400 and VFR400 style of things.

mine also redlines at 14k rpm, that gets you 160kph though. pretty silly really.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

fart simpson posted:

close enough tbh

once you start drinking piss it doesn’t really matter

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fart simpson posted:

close enough tbh

i remember reading a thing written for americans visiting canada about the metric system and it said "for litres, just think "one big quart."

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol
was coming to post that
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1787041991391584549

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

i remember reading a thing written for americans visiting canada about the metric system and it said "for litres, just think "one big quart."

"half a 2-liter soda bottle" would prolly work better

like i can't visualize a quart but i can visualize a dr. pepper

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Shame Boy posted:

easy. a quart is two pints

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Roosevelt posted:

easy. a quart is two pints

the only kind of pint i recognize is when it's milk and that's a rectangle so unless this is a metric rectangle it doesn't apply

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shame Boy posted:

We used to be a real country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Shame Boy posted:

the only kind of pint i recognize is when it's milk and that's a rectangle so unless this is a metric rectangle it doesn't apply

it's more like a metric square