Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
You walk along the dusty trail, before reaching an intersection. There is an old man sitting under a tree by the roadside, along with a building further off in the distance.

"You look weary, traveller! Why don't you head to the inn up the road and rest for a while?"

It feels like you've been walking this road for as long as you can remember. What would you like to do?

- Your feet are rather sore, so it might not be a bad idea... To visit the inn and chat with the patrons, click here.

- To continue travelling down the road to seek new sights and continue choosing your own adventures, click here.

- Wait a minute... this isn't the road to Yellowport! To choose a new road to travel down, click here.

- Aha! Your purse had been feeling rather light... To forcibly relieve this old man of his coin purse, click here. [REQUIRES NEW TAB]

- You realise that this isn't what you wanted in life, casting your gaze upon the tree. To end your adventure, click here. [REQUIRES ITEM(S): ROPE]

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
CYOA books have been a staple of pen and paper gaming for decades! Whether you first experienced the genre through a Goosebumps CYOA book, or one of the other big series' from the '80s onwards.
Here are some of the big names, that I know of:

Endless Quest

Fabled Lands series (which also appears to be on Steam, now?)

Fighting Fantasy series

Goosebumps

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 29, 2023

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I read the hell out of the Choose Your Own Adventure series from the 80s. To this day I remember the name Edward Packard, who wrote like half of them

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

I bought that at a school book fair when I was like 5 or 6. The school librarian tried to talk me out of it because it was for older kids, but it had a sparkly cover so I knew it was good. I was disappointed when I received regular Goosebumps books as gifts because it meant I had to read the whole loving book instead of dying after 5 pages.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hot Stunt posted:

I bought that at a school book fair when I was like 5 or 6. The school librarian tried to talk me out of it because it was for older kids, but it had a sparkly cover so I knew it was good. I was disappointed when I received regular Goosebumps books as gifts because it meant I had to read the whole loving book instead of dying after 5 pages.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about how sparkly some of those Goosebumps CYOA covers were! :D And yeah they were good. Just about blew my mind as a kid, about how many different routes, etc. there were. I always wonder if there are any good (as in, for someone who's not 10y/o :v: ) CYOAs these days. I've heard from a friend that the Fabled Lands series has made a bit of a resurgence in recent years. I think I've still got the first one (War-Torn Kingdom) somewhere, so I'm wondering if it might be worth revisiting sometime, to see if it still holds up.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I love how random the old CYOA books were. We had one about exploring a haunted mansion where depending on which random death you got, you could be killed by a ghost, eaten by aliens, arrested by the police, and god knows what else. It was never about uncovering a single mystery or solving a single adventure by making choices, you got a completely different book with a completely different theme depending which way you went.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

vyelkin posted:

I love how random the old CYOA books were. We had one about exploring a haunted mansion where depending on which random death you got, you could be killed by a ghost, eaten by aliens, arrested by the police, and god knows what else. It was never about uncovering a single mystery or solving a single adventure by making choices, you got a completely different book with a completely different theme depending which way you went.

Oh yeah, some of the plotlines were bizarre! It's odd that they'd try to include so many random plots. I would've thought that they'd focus on one, and just allow you to tackle it in different ways. Then use these other random plots in different books

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the cretan chronicles, in which you play theseus' brother traipsing through ancient greek mythology, were basically just a big long list of gotchas aimed at classics students

pretty fun

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Oh yeah, some of the plotlines were bizarre! It's odd that they'd try to include so many random plots. I would've thought that they'd focus on one, and just allow you to tackle it in different ways. Then use these other random plots in different books

I guess the idea was so that you wouldn't already know the ending, to let you reread the book more than once and have a different experience? Like based on the idea that if there was a mystery CYOA but the murderer was always the same, you're not going to have as good a time solving it when you already know the answer? But the effect always came off way more random than that to me, like which door you choose to explore changes whether the house is really haunted or not.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

now this is how u make a thread

rox
Sep 7, 2016

i wish i still had my old goosebumps cyoa books, they were so goofy and fun. i read em like a million times trying to see every single page without "cheating"

i remember one that had you stuck in an endless loop instead of giving you a proper 'you died' which i thought was extremely badass when i figured out what was going on

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

vyelkin posted:

I guess the idea was so that you wouldn't already know the ending, to let you reread the book more than once and have a different experience? Like based on the idea that if there was a mystery CYOA but the murderer was always the same, you're not going to have as good a time solving it when you already know the answer? But the effect always came off way more random than that to me, like which door you choose to explore changes whether the house is really haunted or not.

Yeah that's true, on both counts. I guess they could've altered the plot a little bit to keep it fresh. Since yeah, as-is it seems like there's something totally different haunting each individual room in the haunted house, for instance. Either way, it made for a fun/silly read I suppose!

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

This made me remember there was one CYOA with an ending that was basically "Your space ship is headed into the sun, you have no way to change course and there's nothing you can do as everything slowly gets warmer." I always though that was a pretty wild, cruel ending.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh, I just remembered - there was a Mario CYOA I played back in the day. I looked it up then and I think it was the first in the series - "Double Trouble". (No idea there was a series TBH. Never saw any of the others)

It was alright, but very weird. Lots of different endings, which weren't just standard "you died" ones. Like, from memory one had you/Mario being turned into a koopa, while another changed you so you have three heads.

So yeah, according to the internet there were a whole heap of these Nintendo Adventure Books. A heap for Mario, as well as some for Zelda. Has anyone else read them? Very weird

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

There was a CYOA book I read in the early to mid 90s. Looking back on it, it was British, probably published anywhere from the late 70s to the late 80s. It was fantasy and written for kids. It wasn't a dice-rolling gamebook. I know it involved getting your pick of a magic item, and one of them turned the user into a phoenix (it was the last page ending iirc) and another one caused you to walk and talk in reverse. You could squander you magic item in dumb ways. Anyway, I can't remember the title or author. I've tried in the various "help me remember this thing" threads around the forums, and now I'm trying here.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Major Isoor posted:

Oh, I just remembered - there was a Mario CYOA I played back in the day. I looked it up then and I think it was the first in the series - "Double Trouble". (No idea there was a series TBH. Never saw any of the others)

It was alright, but very weird. Lots of different endings, which weren't just standard "you died" ones. Like, from memory one had you/Mario being turned into a koopa, while another changed you so you have three heads.

So yeah, according to the internet there were a whole heap of these Nintendo Adventure Books. A heap for Mario, as well as some for Zelda. Has anyone else read them? Very weird

oh yes! those one were before my time but when i was a kid i got this novelization of Super Mario Advance from The Scholastic Book Fair itself! it functioned sort of like a strategy guide and had a couple of full colour illustrations of the characters in the middle. i always thought it was so cool, i wish i still had it.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
I found CYOA books kind of disturbing as a kid because of all the different ways your 12 year old protagonist could die, like getting bit by a rattlesnake in the desert, or sentenced to death by the intergalactic governing body, etc. but then as a kid i would always turn to the pages at the end to see all the endings so i kind of got them all at once out of context

My fave adventure books were the ones with the puzzles though.

Danger at Demon’s Cove
Usborne Puzzle Adventures

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

underrated/unmentioned cyoa picks -

the race forever

actually, two races to forever - the book is split in half such that you choose between dirt rallying and tarmac rallying, and if memory serves, as long as you survive one race (like, you can lose or have a mechanical failure which would be THE END in any other book) they give you the option to move on to the other format. it's obviously THE END if you get eaten by leopards or drive off a cliff of course

return to brookmere

mountain of mirrors and some of the other endless quests were probably a better book and a better adventure, but this is the one that really felt like a proper dungeon crawl. look at this elf, he'd kick the poo poo out of link and take his place in the zelda games

eye of the dragon

this was my first proper gamebook, so it's toeing the line of not being a straight CYOA, but look at that kid ready for ancient greek gym class. had way gnarlier interior illustrations, like this coral guy

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hmm, just wondering - has anyone read/revisited any CYOAs that hold up for adults? I've been playing through Fabled Lands here which has been pretty fun. I'm just wondering about playing through one on my own/offline though, alongside FL.

Preferably something fairly long (or in a series where you can carry across progress, ideally. Not required though) so that I don't just blitz straight through it. How are the more recent CYOA(tm) books for example, if anyone has tried them? I've admittedly been rather out of the loop in recent times, but diving back into Fabled Lands has given me the itch! I quite like the 'CYOA with character sheet' style, after coming back to it with TTRPG experience under my belt

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I remember checking out Fabled Lands from the library as a kid and being blown away by how I could go anywhere and do anything. I think it was my first experience with open world gaming as a concept.

They're releasing them on steam right now with fancy graphics and whatnot, but there's something special about doing it with a book and an increasingly messy piece of paper with all the crazy stuff you've gotten up to.

There's a goon-made published CYOA called Sword of the Bastard Elf which I remember buying when it had a thread, it was definitely a product of its time though

Major Isoor posted:

Hmm, just wondering - has anyone read/revisited any CYOAs that hold up for adults? I've been playing through Fabled Lands here which has been pretty fun. I'm just wondering about playing through one on my own/offline though, alongside FL.

Preferably something fairly long (or in a series where you can carry across progress, ideally. Not required though) so that I don't just blitz straight through it. How are the more recent CYOA(tm) books for example, if anyone has tried them? I've admittedly been rather out of the loop in recent times, but diving back into Fabled Lands has given me the itch! I quite like the 'CYOA with character sheet' style, after coming back to it with TTRPG experience under my belt

Have you looked into Lone Wolf? You can carry through each book and they were aimed at an adult audience. There's reprints out now, an unofficial android version to play that does the dice for you, and an extremely long-running thread for a goon playthrough:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3830605

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003
i do not remember the plot of a lot of these books, but the aesthetic of the cover of these books

hexwren posted:

the race forever

has stuck with me my whole life.