Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I could go on all day about good history books but one that remains evergreen is Mark Blyth's Austerity: The History of a Dangerous Idea. It's all about the history and contemporary politics of fiscal austerity as a concept: where the idea came from, why it became economic orthodoxy, and how it has consistently failed to achieve the goals of the people implementing it wherever and whenever it's been tried in the modern world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sube
Nov 7, 2022

vyelkin posted:

I could go on all day about good history books but one that remains evergreen is Mark Blyth's Austerity: The History of a Dangerous Idea. It's all about the history and contemporary politics of fiscal austerity as a concept: where the idea came from, why it became economic orthodoxy, and how it has consistently failed to achieve the goals of the people implementing it wherever and whenever it's been tried in the modern world.

on the topic of austerity i enjoyed The Capital Order: How Economists Invented Austerity and Paved the Way to Fascism a lot, it discusses its genesis as tool of undermining workers' power historically. i enjoyed it a lot.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
they probably don't pass muster for real historians but i really enjoyed reading Germania and Danubia

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Gone Fashing posted:

they probably don't pass muster for real historians but i really enjoyed reading Germania and Danubia

Same op! Reading lotharingia at the moment. I thought the hopping around between time periods would drive me mad but they just read like an enjoyable jaunt round central europe with interesting stories about random villages and churches

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
oh sweet I didn't realize there was another one. just ordered it :coal:

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
For the history of the U.S. film industry, I greatly enjoyed Movie-Made America by Robert Sklar. It covers a lot of material for such a compact, single-volume history and I've seen it cited favorably by other authors as well. Donald Richie's A Hundred Years of Japanese Film is an interesting counterpart for the Japanese film industry (I enjoyed learning about the popularity of narrated silent films). Both books have made me much more curious about the early development of silent films.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
anyone have a good book on the 1920s?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

vyelkin posted:

This sounds good and I think reading the Klein book probably primed my brain for a deeper more specifically economically focused work.

I always want contemporary books to go up to the present moment which I know is impossible, but by bookend I'm always left yearning for the author to continue their analysis into the present day.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009
I enjoyed Empire Express by David Haward Bain. It describes the building of the transcontinental railroad and the experiences of the people who built it.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a book about the Battle of the Atlantic in WWII? I recently read The Good Shepard and I'd like to learn more about it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

anyone have a good book on the 1920s?

It's not non-fiction as such, but Remarque's sorta-sequel The Road Back is an underappreciated tale of German society following WWI.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I read shattered sword this year op.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

I read shattered sword this year op.

that ruled so hard. proving out how the airplane elevator significantly contributed to Japanese carriers being outclassed was wild.

and the attack of the torpedo bombers was harrowing with how many people just got owned immediately after flying into their airspace.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

My favorite part of Shattered Sword is when they go into the Combined Fleets battle plan for Midway and the Aleutians, and the authors start off by telling you to go pour a tall glass of spirits first so it all makes some kind of sense. Because :psyduck: at the entire plan.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Handsome Ralph posted:

My favorite part of Shattered Sword is when they go into the Combined Fleets battle plan for Midway and the Aleutians, and the authors start off by telling you to go pour a tall glass of spirits first so it all makes some kind of sense. Because :psyduck: at the entire plan.

I genuinely didn't realize that the Aleutians was part of the plan and when it dawned on me thar this was all one operation that they had wargamed out and then threw out a losing game as being impossible I put the book down for a bit and walked away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
One of my favorite history books is My Thoughts Be Bloody by Nora Titone - essentially a long biography of the famous actor Edwin Booth and his jealous failure of a brother John Wilkes Booth. By exploring their lives and their relationship to each other, the book gives us a much bigger picture of the assassination of Lincoln and why it happened. It's just good stuff.

I also like E.R. Chamberlain's The Bad Popes, a very chonky look into the lives and popedoms of eight of the worst medieval and Renaissance popes. Looking this up for the thread shows me that Chamberlain's written five more books about Italian history, so I'm gonna get started on those now!