Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

My work is right next to the huge Minneapolis Central Library, and I take the bus to work, so I get like 90 minutes of reading in a day. It's great. Here's some books I read recently.

Son of Svea (Lena Andersson) - Originally in Swedish, fiction about a guy who grew up in Sweden in the 50s and 60s with bright ideas, had kids, and the world moved on around him. Well written and translated, good chill read.

First Born (Will Dean) - Fun murder mystery about a pair of twins, one of whom gets murdered. The murdered one is outgoing and the other one is hyper-paranoid to a comedic degree and has to travel to New York.

Proxima & Ultima (Stephen Baxter) - A sci-fi duology featuring far future tech, alternate history universes, robots, and alien minds. I actually read these in reverse order, which worked out pretty well. If I had one thing on this list to recommend most, it would be these books.

Eon (Greg Bear) - Similar to above, actually, far future and alternate histories. Fairly heavy on the sci-part of sci-fi. Written in the 80s, and feels like it, which was fun.

City of Stairs (Robert Bennett) - A mystery type book set in a magic/mechanical world, with a charismatic main character and a good supporting cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numbuh 212
Feb 19, 2013

I just read Security by Gina Wohlsdorf, and oh my god it was so good. It's a horror novel set just before the grand opening of an extremely fancy luxury hotel, and someone has broken in and is murdering members of the staff. The book is narrated by someone watching the security cameras on each floor, and it's one of the most gripping books I've read in a long time, I couldn't get through it fast enough. Definitely worth checking out if you're not very squeamish, it is pretty gory.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I really liked The Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells. It's a sci-fi series about a security cyborg that secretly hacked their own programming, and now has to act normal on the job or else they'll get brain-fried. They'd rather be watching pirated TV shows. Same.

Legends and Lattes by Travis Baldree was enjoyable. A low-stakes fantasy about an orc, a succubi, and coffee. What the hell is coffee?? It's a nice change from stories about wandering murderhobos.