Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
One of the all time great works of Canadian literature. A woman leaves her post as librarian in the city to accept a job cataloguing works at an old colonial estate in the North. She is forced to confront the tension between the settler imperative to dominate nature and nature's resistance to that domination. The way that the Canadian state tries to reduce everything to information that it can order and sort, but that the land itself is far too vigourous and varied for those representations to ever be accurate. As she tries to escape the horrible stultifyingness of English Canadian culture she does not realize she just ends up trying to replicate those same patterns of (attempted) domination.

That's right, goons. It's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i'm gonna second my fellow canucklefuck: it may be a meme, but Bear is also an excellent novel. not sure how meaningful it'll be if you're not Canadian but if you are it's a+

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
did not post the correct book cover, I rate this thread a 3/5

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

vyelkin posted:

Now I will read your book.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

vyelkin posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I read this last year on Arivia’s recommendation. It’s sincerely good! I think there’s something for everyone here, even if the Canadian context is lost on you.

The transition into chapter 3 had me laughing out loud. ”Have you heard about the bear?” Followed by a chapter that’s only 2.5 pages long, pitch perfect babbling of a guy telling you something he knows he needs to tell you but doesn’t really want you to ask any questions okay have fun BYE.