Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I got this on my kindle a while back and I'm finally going to start it tonight. I vaguely recall bits of it from deus ex but not a lot. I got my dad it for christmas but idk if he read it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Is it the first "conspiracy" novel? Definitely an early example. I should give it another read (went through it when I was in high school and definitely missed some of the subtleties).

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

Is it the first "conspiracy" novel? Definitely an early example. I should give it another read (went through it when I was in high school and definitely missed some of the subtleties).

same. i remember reading this before, but i am going to check it out again.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

I was introduced to this novel and Chesterton as the start of 20th century Christian apologetics, interestingly enough - while it technically predates the Father Brown series by a few years, the structure of the last two chapters match almost perfectly to how those later short stories tended to conclude. On that, I'd argue it's more of a farce than a conspiracy, but the masquerade of a conspiracy is a major part of what Chesterton is trying to get across, I think.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I really enjoyed this book despite disagreeing with Chesterton on basically everything. He may have been a wife guy for Christ but the fucker could write.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

this book is awesome and i also read it because of deus ex. what will be even more interesting for you is how wildly out of context those quotes are in the game whenever you next replay it

anyway, gk chesterton is the man.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

cumpantry posted:

this book is awesome and i also read it because of deus ex. what will be even more interesting for you is how wildly out of context those quotes are in the game whenever you next replay it

anyway, gk chesterton is the man.

I always mentally hear the title of this book in the voice of the random bum in the Free Clinic talking about it who sounds suspiciously like Walton Simons.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I should read it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I read this book around the same time as Flann O’Brien’s “The Third Policeman” which has a somewhat similar vibe of an intriguing mystery collapsing into all-consuming insane bullshit, and the two of them are still kind of mixed up in my head. I liked both to be clear, but Third Policeman was better imo

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

skasion posted:

I read this book around the same time as Flann O’Brien’s “The Third Policeman” which has a somewhat similar vibe of an intriguing mystery collapsing into all-consuming insane bullshit, and the two of them are still kind of mixed up in my head. I liked both to be clear, but Third Policeman was better imo

Time loop > "it was all a dream"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

It’s a fun conceit but not a great book imho