Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

It only took me a decade.

I bought Gardens of the Moon in 2011, read it and got partway into Deadhouse Gates then ran out of steam. Also got a new job and got busy.

Years pass, and then when a pandemic hit I found myself getting back into it, according to Amazon I picked up Memories of Ice in January 2020, working my way steadily through the series over the following couple years.

And holy poo poo, I finally did it. I finished the series!

What a rollercoaster. Sure it slogged in some parts, but utterly excelled in others. I found so many characters I absolutely loved, had them cruelly ripped from me, and then found more to love. I don't know if I have it in me to tackle the side stories/stuff by the other author, but who knows, maybe one day. I'm sure a reread would be completely different, knowing everything I now do rather than puzzling it out and overthinking myself in circles following cryptic conversations between characters. What a series, glad I finally got around to it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

it really is an amazing series. one of my favorites. where can you get immortal dragon/elves, undead neanderthals and velociraptors with swords for arms?

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I think I got up to the halfway point of House of Chains and I’m not even sure at this point why I stopped. I really enjoyed the series as far as a I can remember. In your opinion OP have I already read the best part of the Malayan series or would it be worth a reread?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

SilkyP posted:

I think I got up to the halfway point of House of Chains and I’m not even sure at this point why I stopped. I really enjoyed the series as far as a I can remember. In your opinion OP have I already read the best part of the Malayan series or would it be worth a reread?

IMO you're not yet to the best of the series, you haven't even met some of the characters that are my favorites. I get running out of steam in HoC, I was heartbroken at the conclusion of book three. But yeah, I may be biased but I think it's absolutely worth diving into again.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Arrath posted:

IMO you're not yet to the best of the series, you haven't even met some of the characters that are my favorites. I get running out of steam in HoC, I was heartbroken at the conclusion of book three. But yeah, I may be biased but I think it's absolutely worth diving into again.

Nice I think I will restart then, cheers!