Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

i saw an old man freak the gently caress out at the stop and shop robot and start yelling and cursing at it and it was the funniest fuckin thing I've seen in years

Yea I saw that too

roomtone posted:

bummed out man. wish this ai bs just didn't exist. feels like pursuing anything right now is foolish cos it's all going to be replaced so i have to live with being a fool. can't decide whether to just ignore it or doomvestigate it more, but i really don't want to use it. seems like they're gonna take an ice cream scoop straight to the heart of humanity with this one.

you've also got all the leaders involved in this going like 'whoah, this is nuts, worst case scenario we're all gonna die' and seems like we learned absolutely zero from social media and this is going to be a million times worse. full steam ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

market basket loving owns

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

did you know there’s a special big y in springfield MA called “fresh acres” and they sell food that is even fancier and more expensive than whole foods.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

pencilhands posted:

did you know there’s a special big y in springfield MA called “fresh acres” and they sell food that is even fancier and more expensive than whole foods.

drat gonna have to go check this out

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

there’s also a special big y in west springfield MA called “table and vine” which is a giant liquor store

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

pencilhands posted:

Hmmm that'd be a longer drive than the Costco. Hmmm.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
none of these robots have nice feet so i shan't be loving them op

Smugworth posted:

This is the robot at my local grocery store

:ohdear:

eh... maybe. it'd have to buy me dinner first

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

enough with the loving of robots, more loving up of robots

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Here in Seattle Pagliacci say they'll use drones to deliver pizza. When you're paying fifty bucks for a large I am not tipping the drone!

https://www.king5.com/article/tech/pagliacci-pizza-drone-delivery/281-24c24a59-8165-460b-a614-9539528a01d1

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I have decided I will not gently caress the Stop and Shop bot, I will go out with it and start a serious relationship only to ghost them when it's clear they're committed.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

PinheadSlim posted:

I have decided I will not gently caress the Stop and Shop bot, I will go out with it and start a serious relationship only to ghost them when it's clear they're committed.

Just like you ghosted everyone who wants to know what accent you have that makes you think chowder and louder don't rhyme

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Devils Affricate posted:

Just like you ghosted everyone who wants to know what accent you have that makes you think chowder and louder don't rhyme

They do so I must have been really drunk, idk lol

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Wait lmao I was thinking of the other guy

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

CPL593H posted:

The robot doesn't really bother me but that thing that screams "THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING TIDE!" when you get within 15 feet of the aisle with laundry detergent is the goddamn worst. They started having that thing because a bunch of old people believed some dumb urban legend about people stealing Tide to barter for drugs like ten years ago.

No points for guessing what group of people were being accused of this.

My dude not everything has to be some boomer race-baiting thing. Everyone is actually still stealing Tide because it is a commodity that is super easy to fence, and especially when everyone was understaffed during covid there were non-pursue policies that made it de-facto legal to shoplift in many big cities. Just grab some, sit on it for a bit if it's too hot, then drive some to a laundromat in a poor area and you'll flip it all minutes if you sell at a discount.

Here's a video of people stealing whole carts full of it from just 2 years back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwShXgSYts4

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

The stop and shops in Holyoke suck but the big ys are so much more of a drive.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I've had a lot of grocery store bagels but nothing compares to a Safeway bagel, it's on par with and sometimes better than actual Bagel places. The donuts are Dunkins level, though.

Especially before they got bought by Albertsons. Such gluten, such chewy and shiny brown exteriors!

Also I've changed my mind, I would gently caress that robot.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Zero VGS posted:

My dude not everything has to be some boomer race-baiting thing. Everyone is actually still stealing Tide because it is a commodity that is super easy to fence, and especially when everyone was understaffed during covid there were non-pursue policies that made it de-facto legal to shoplift in many big cities. Just grab some, sit on it for a bit if it's too hot, then drive some to a laundromat in a poor area and you'll flip it all minutes if you sell at a discount.

Here's a video of people stealing whole carts full of it from just 2 years back:

Plus if you're a drug dealer and get busted, they will take all you cash, but maybe they won't know what to do if you just got a bunch of bottles of Tide?

Also it's dumb anyway. The Stop & Save Robot says, "Thanks for buying Tide" because it's a loving ad, not anything to do with people shoplifting. (Assuming it does, I don't have a shop & save near me so...)

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Zero VGS posted:

That's nice and all, but the majority of retail shrink is companies just misplacing their own stuff - something like 60% of losses are from operational shrink, not theft, and of the rest there's more employee theft than shoplifting. The bitching and moaning over laundry detergent is a distraction from poor internal practices.

Not to mention, wage theft still robs workers of much, much more than companies lose to shoplifting. Hard to find any sympathy here.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

midwifecrisis posted:

The stop and shops in Holyoke suck but the big ys are so much more of a drive.

Why would you go to a grocery store when you can go to the Holyoke Mall and get a gyro at the food court? Unless that's gone it's been awhile.

edit: The Greek Place appears to still be open.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 14, 2023

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Duck and Cover posted:

Why would you go to a grocery store when you can go to the Holyoke Mall and get a gyro at the food court? Unless that's gone it's been awhile.

drat I might just do that this weekend

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Stop or my mom will shop

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Also it's dumb anyway. The Stop & Save Robot says, "Thanks for buying Tide" because it's a loving ad, not anything to do with people shoplifting. (Assuming it does, I don't have a shop & save near me so...)

I mean if it's a motion activated announcement when you're near Tide then that does seem like a passive-aggressive anti-theft thing, like when you see monitors of security camera feeds above the doors when you walk into a store.

Where I am, the Dollar General just locks all the Tide behind a cage.

I only buy the "Free and Clear" detergents and bronner soaps anyway. You know what was hosed up, I got some dish soap that was "Pure and Clear" thinking it was the same, which turned out to be Palmolive's code for no dyes but still a ton of perfume because lol gently caress you.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That's nice and all, but the majority of retail shrink is companies just misplacing their own stuff - something like 60% of losses are from operational shrink, not theft, and of the rest there's more employee theft than shoplifting. The bitching and moaning over laundry detergent is a distraction from poor internal practices.

Not to mention, wage theft still robs workers of much, much more than companies lose to shoplifting. Hard to find any sympathy here.

You'll notice that when Walgreens admitted they flat out lied about closing those stores in San Francisco due to "shoplifting", it got approximately 1% of the coverage as the ENDLESS stories about people stealing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/06/...&smid=url-share

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Zero VGS posted:

I mean if it's a motion activated announcement when you're near Tide then that does seem like a passive-aggressive anti-theft thing, like when you see monitors of security camera feeds above the doors when you walk into a store.

I only buy the "Free and Clear" detergents and bronner soaps anyway. You know what was hosed up, I got some dish soap that was "Pure and Clear" thinking it was the same, which turned out to be Palmolive's code for no dyes but still a ton of perfume because lol gently caress you.

It's clearly just an ad. There's other detergents besides just Tide. But also it would be an ad for other people in the vicinity as well, "This person is buying Tide!"

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Zero VGS posted:

Here's the thing though, Stop and Shop is union and they are absolute poo poo-tier. Their deli is trash and I saw them selling a bag of Hint of Lime Tostitos for loving $5.99. For corn! The 7/11 was cheaper! I guess they need big margins to fund that stupid loving robot.

Market Basket is non-union and even had all the workers stand up for their fired boss and got him reinstated as president. They're the best value by a mile and I have had friends who loved working there.

Don't get me wrong, I have helped friends unionize a for-profit hospital because the staff-to-patient ratio was abysmal. But my takeaway is sometimes unions are loving bad. Stop and Shop is a perfect example, laziest staff that will actively run away from you if you try and ask them where anything is. I've got another anecdote but it involves a goon S&S employee so I'll skip that one lol.

You will discover, after a bit of digging, that management at some companies have a tactic of instead of fighting the creation of a union, they can co-opt and sabotage the union so that it serves the interests of the company. This has the added benefit of making the more gullible members of the public think that "sometimes unions can be bad". Well when it's not actually a union, but an organization controlled by management that calls itself a union, why yes it can be bad!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Zero VGS posted:

My dude not everything has to be some boomer race-baiting thing.

It is more often than not.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Plus if you're a drug dealer and get busted, they will take all you cash, but maybe they won't know what to do if you just got a bunch of bottles of Tide?

Do drug dealers take Purex for drugs and if so what is the Purex to Tide conversion rate?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Everyone I know that ever worked in a grocery store has told me about the absolutely MASSIVE amount of perfectly good poo poo they just throw in the garbage. And of course employees are absolutely never allowed to take any of it. And Walmart straight up writes shoplifting into their budget.

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah I probably should have mentioned that. The horn thing that yells about Tide also has a TV screen above it where you can see yourself.

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
The robot at my local store spends a lot of time going back and forth in the produce department noting spills, mostly because people are disgusting slobs that toss poo poo on the floor. One time, it got a carton of strawberries caught in the perfect position where the robot didn’t turn around but instead dragged the box across the floor, creating a mess, which it then tried to follow to the source, which resulted in a lot of backtracking, going in circles and beeping, all while smearing more berry paste around.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

MoonshineWilly posted:

The robot at my local store spends a lot of time going back and forth in the produce department noting spills, mostly because people are disgusting slobs that toss poo poo on the floor. One time, it got a carton of strawberries caught in the perfect position where the robot didn’t turn around but instead dragged the box across the floor, creating a mess, which it then tried to follow to the source, which resulted in a lot of backtracking, going in circles and beeping, all while smearing more berry paste around.

I was in Stop & Shop one time and the robot kept announcing a spill in the produce area. Some employee had to come pick up a small piece of an onion skin for it to shut up.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Does Big Y still give out the colored coins? I always liked that rewards system, felt like we were saving up pirate doubloons

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

MoonshineWilly posted:

My friend with a dog wanted to get a Roomba and I showed him of those videos where the Roomba hits a dog turd and proceeds to smear it across a hundred square feet of carpet, that talked him out of it lol

CPL593H posted:

Everyone I know that ever worked in a grocery store has told me about the absolutely MASSIVE amount of perfectly good poo poo they just throw in the garbage. And of course employees are absolutely never allowed to take any of it. And Walmart straight up writes shoplifting into their budget.

I was in a Target when all the power went out, so I asked one of the employees what happens to the food in the fridge. She said "by law we have to dispose of it if the power doesn't come back within X minutes".

I drove back about an hour later to the rear of the building, and sure enough there were pallets upon pallets of still-wrapped, still-cold produce all stacked up neatly next to the dumpster. Filled my car to the rafters and drove into the sunset.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

free hubcaps posted:

Does Big Y still give out the colored coins? I always liked that rewards system, felt like we were saving up pirate doubloons

No, they finally got rid of that I want to say two or three years ago? Now it’s just a normal digital loyalty card.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Yeah if it hits the danger zone it has to be tossed so they don't get sued

It only takes one person getting food poisoning from improperly temp'd food

Food Saftey is important, once it's in the trash it's up to you if you want to eat it

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

CPL593H posted:

The robot doesn't really bother me but that thing that screams "THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING TIDE!" when you get within 15 feet of the aisle with laundry detergent is the goddamn worst. They started having that thing because a bunch of old people believed some dumb urban legend about people stealing Tide to barter for drugs like ten years ago.

No points for guessing what group of people were being accused of this.

Brain worms must've crossbred with the ones that inspired the security camera and motion detector ones in Wal-Mart next to all the Black hair care products.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I know it's probably still fine and I've eaten and brought home expired food before too, but the law exists for a reason.

Otherwise some dumbass puts it back in the cooler and lets some old lady buy it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I remember once coming out of the bathroom at Giant and the robot was in its charging area and I said "Lazy fuckin' robot, just wants to sit around charging all day!" And then it started following me around the store in a creepy and menacing way and honestly I don't think I've felt fully safe at any Giant since then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Duck and Cover posted:

It is! I work in that mall