Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which shall we read in September?
This poll is closed.
Childhood's End 10 18.52%
Rocannon's World 12 22.22%
Contact 12 22.22%
Under the Skin 7 12.96%
Communion 13 24.07%
Total: 41 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

In honor of the congressional hearings into UAPs and claims that the MIC has both ships and bodies, let's read about aliens and encountering alien intelligences!

First up, Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke

quote:

Childhood's End is a 1953 science fiction novel by the British author Arthur C. Clarke. The story follows the peaceful alien invasion of Earth by the mysterious Overlords, whose arrival begins decades of apparent utopia under indirect alien rule, at the cost of human identity and culture.

Next up, Rocannon's World by Ursula LeGuin

quote:

Rocannon's World is a science fiction novel by American writer Ursula K. Le Guin, her literary debut. It was published in 1966 as an Ace Double, along with Avram Davidson's The Kar-Chee Reign, following the tęte-bęche format. Though it is one of Le Guin's many works set in the universe of the technological Hainish Cycle, the story itself has many elements of heroic fantasy. The hero Gaveral Rocannon encounters lords who live in castles and wield swords, and other races much like fairies and gnomes, in his travels on a backward planet.

The novel then follows Gaverel Rocannon, an ethnologist who had met Semley at the museum. He later goes on an ethnological mission to her planet, Fomalhaut II. It was through Rocannon's efforts that the planet had been placed under an 'exploration embargo' in order to protect the native cultures. Unbeknown to him and his colleagues, there is a base on the planet of an enemy of the League of All Worlds—a young world named Faraday, which embarked on a career of interstellar war and conquest, and which chose this "primitive" world as the location of a secret base. After the enemy destroys his ship and his companions, Rocannon sets out to find their base so that he can alert the League of their presence with the enemy's ansible.

Third option, some sciency speculative fiction, Contact by Carl Sagan

quote:

Contact is a 1985 hard science fiction novel by American scientist Carl Sagan. It deals with the theme of contact between humanity and a more technologically advanced, extraterrestrial life form. It ranked No. 7 on the 1985 U.S. bestseller list. The only full work of fiction published by Sagan, the novel originated as a screenplay by Sagan and Ann Druyan (whom he later married) in 1979; when development of the film stalled, Sagan decided to convert the stalled film into a novel. The film concept was subsequently revived and eventually released in 1997 as the film Contact starring Jodie Foster.

Fourth, Under the Skin by Michael Faber

quote:

Under the Skin is a 2000 science fiction novel by Michel Faber. Set on the east coast in northern Scotland, it traces an alien who, manifesting in human form, drives around the countryside picking up male hitchhikers whom she drugs and delivers to her home planet. The novel, which was Faber's debut, was shortlisted for the 2000 Whitbread Award. It was later loosely adapted into a 2013 film of the same name directed by Jonathan Glazer.

Finally, and perhaps more pants-on-head, Communion by Whitley Strieber

quote:

Communion: A True Story is a book by American ufologist and horror author Whitley Strieber that was first published in February 1987. The book is based on the experiences of Whitley Strieber, who experiences "lost time" and terrifying flashbacks, which hypnosis undertaken by Budd Hopkins later links to an alleged encounter with aliens. Communion was a nonfiction best seller for six months in 1987

The book was later made into a film directed by Philippe Mora and starring Christopher Walken as Strieber and Lindsay Crouse as his wife, Anne. A 2008 trade paperback edition presents a new preface by the author.

Strieber compares the "familiar" being he sees, whom he describes as female, to the Sumerian goddess Ishtar.

Vote for any and all that catch your fancy, but please read and join us for discussion if you vote!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNK75Qj1M0E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
I can vouch for Under The Skin being bloody good.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Communion :rms:

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I just read Semley's Necklace, the short story that precluded Rocannon's World and I can vouch for it being extremely good and a cool story of Le Guin finishing the story and deciding a side-character had more of a story to be told.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Rocannon's World

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

never finished it so might as well

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

If it's down to these, I'll go with Rocannon's World.

A first-contact book I really like is Remnant Population by Elizabeth Moon. It's the story of an elderly woman who stays behind when her colony fails financially and is evacuated. She'd rather stay by herself in her own home and tend her garden than pack up and move again. After everyone else leaves, it turns out she isn't alone after all.

What's weird is that my mother never mentioned that a science fiction writer interviewed and followed her around for a couple of weeks for research. I kid, but my mother would do exactly the same thing for exactly the same reasons. She loved the book.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Folks posting their preferences ITT I assume you are also clicking in the polls, if you have not then do so please!

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

please add ten votes for Childhood's End to account for the Mish

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

please add ten votes for Childhood's End to account for the Mish

Sorry I can't add a vote for the Mish Man but you all are making this month's book vote a very close call! 10 votes each for the C books of the very serious scientist written SF Contact and the personal abduction story of Communion, and 9 each for the more straight SF contributions (and apostrophes of) of Rocannon's World and Childhood's End! Its a neck and neck race down the straight!

Two more days to vote! Remember you can vote for any you might wish to read, get those selections in!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

For those interested in reading Communion, might I help by saying, aliens don’t exist

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I voted, but I did not break the tie. sorry folks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

WE HAVE A WINNER!

Just narrowly edging out all the others was Communion! I will change the BotM thread accordingly tomorrow.

Thank you to all who voted and made this one of the more exciting elections in our lifetimes!

(Also start thinking ahead to the spooooooky season of next month, it would be cool to have a scary banger of a book )