Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
wormhole space is kinda like a submarine simulator. you never know if theres anyone around so its always a little bit spooky not knowing if youre being hunted, but the flip side is that once you have some idea what youre doing you can start to do the hunting.

also its a hilarious isk faucet that never stops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023
I like PI. I make 5 mil per planet per day in a wormhole and I all do is reset extractor programs and haul loot out.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Setting up PI is a horrible thing.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Always fart in local in wormholes. Only cowards don’t fart back.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
dont shart in your capsule, bruh

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
jspace is very cool and neat but holelife takes a whole bunch of extra knowledge beyond mastery of the base game systems, so definitely join a competent group and learn how2eve and read up before diving in. also make sure you're decent at the scanning minigame first and want to do it several thousand times.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Dalmuti posted:

dont shart in your capsule, bruh

and don't go for a poo poo while using voice detection and a wireless headset

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Or do, honestly.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

PI was fine once it was up and running, and only needed minimal resetting, pick up and drop offs. Getting it set up across many characters is the worst (saveable set-ups when?)

Planned for both Serenity and Infinity so it’s quite likely we might get it.

lordxoi
May 24, 2003

DA-DA-DUM!
Do I get a Strat Pap for posting in here?

ANOTHER QUALITY LORDXOI POST/THREAD

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

lordxoi posted:

Do I get a Strat Pap for posting in here?

You get a :goatsecx:

It's a good emoji and you can copy paste direct into discord.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

Hands down the funniest moment of my eve career, 10/10

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

salartarium posted:

Planned for both Serenity and Infinity so it’s quite likely we might get it.

if there was one thing that could make me stay after I re-sub this month to consolidate all of my poo poo in one place

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Kaysette posted:

jspace is very cool and neat but holelife takes a whole bunch of extra knowledge beyond mastery of the base game systems, so definitely join a competent group and learn how2eve and read up before diving in. also make sure you're decent at the scanning minigame first and want to do it several thousand times a day

ftfy

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

Not even close to the worst thing that's happened on goon coms. At least one known goon forgot to mute while having a good wank. Theta 2014 coms was a great place to be if you wanted to hear a drunk guy who sounds like the concept of heart disease sexually harass the one lady in the channel.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I've been that one lady in the channel and yeah I remember theta comms being so bad I used to have to record my gameplay just so I would have footage of the various slurs, or worse.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

ngl someone taking a dump while on comms and voice detection was funny as gently caress, especially since he took the cans off and couldn't hear us shouting about it.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Nice meltdown

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I heard 1000 dreads died in Ahbazon and that sounds rad until you realize it means 12 hours of the worst slomo gameplay ever invented.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Dork dilation.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Kaysette posted:

I heard 1000 dreads died in Ahbazon and that sounds rad until you realize it means 12 hours of the worst slomo gameplay ever invented.

I spent 2 hours in tidi and ended up only shooting a ferox navy before the client finally crashed and freed me from my self flagellation :negative:

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
I can't imagine going into a real capfight anymore and being like 'this is great, im going to be stuck here on this bugged slowmo game for 12 hours with no sleep'

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

whine dilation

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
So my spouse is starting to get into video games but he is a very casual player as in might play 1hr a week(at most). He saw eve and thinks he might like it - Even though I have never played it I told him he would not like it because of time investment and just stopping playing for weeks at a time. Was I correct in telling him that?

(The last game I saw him play was mario kart for the Wii - but he plays risk and other strategy games with no time limit or anything.)

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
One hour a week sounds too little for Eve because most things you might do in Eve tend to take longer than that at a time. A few hours a week becomes a lot more feasible.

Eve isn't very casual in that to actually get into it you have to think about what you want, find your place, ideally have someone take you under their wing. It's generally "serious" for a game, but it can be casual in the sense of not putting a ton of hours into it. The way I play Eve, I ping some friends to see if they want to do stuff and then we go do a thing. I don't make any commitments of any sort to play at any time expect when I feel like it, which sometimes means I play a lot, sometimes I might play a few hours a week, and sometimes I might not play at all for a few months. This is why I'm allergic to corps that go "must do x fleets a month" - I'm never gonna play a video game for any reason other than "I feel like it". But you can avoid this stuff, like I do. Getting into that groove and figuring out how you want to play the game is usually the big obstacle.

In my experience the people who stick with it don't necessarily play a ton, but they tend to be the kind of nerd who enjoy complex systems and figuring them out.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 6, 2024

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

nunsexmonkrock posted:

So my spouse is starting to get into video games but he is a very casual player as in might play 1hr a week(at most). He saw eve and thinks he might like it - Even though I have never played it I told him he would not like it because of time investment and just stopping playing for weeks at a time. Was I correct in telling him that?

(The last game I saw him play was mario kart for the Wii - but he plays risk and other strategy games with no time limit or anything.)

This isn’t really a casual game. It can take an hour just for a fleet op to get rolling to what it needs to be doing. MMO’s in general tend to reward time investment, and this one is probably the worst for that.

Please note we’ve literally had fleet battles that started at the crack of dawn and finally wrapped up at that same time the next day. This is not loving sane.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

If you love him, don't let him play EVE

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

Also this.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Rhymenoserous posted:

This isn’t really a casual game. It can take an hour just for a fleet op to get rolling to what it needs to be doing. MMO’s in general tend to reward time investment, and this one is probably the worst for that.

Please note we’ve literally had fleet battles that started at the crack of dawn and finally wrapped up at that same time the next day. This is not loving sane.

Bilirubin posted:

Thank you I just wanted to make sure I was correct telling him that - Even though I don't play these types of games I know how much time it takes. I know MMO's take a lot of investment. (I use to haunt EQ and EQ2 back in the day even though it's a very different game.).

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 6, 2024

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

nunsexmonkrock posted:

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I spent 2 hours in tidi and ended up only shooting a ferox navy before the client finally crashed and freed me from my self flagellation :negative:

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Bilirubin posted:

:emptyquote:

e: crisis averted

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'd say Eve is among the best MMOs to play if you're not going to be spending a ton of time on it because it really doesn't need you to. Giant nullsec fleet ops are not the only thing in the game.

I play with several people right now who play for a few hours occasionally, not even weekly.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

There's a lot of stuff you can't do in EVE without more time investment, but it does have a very expansive indefinite free trial to check out:

https://www.eveonline.com/signup?invc=334ec536-4ac1-4739-9c6f-4e62cee77b53

I'd say it's worth playing around with and doing the tutorial just because there's really nothing else like it.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Kaysette posted:

There's a lot of stuff you can't do in EVE without more time investment, but it does have a very expansive indefinite free trial to check out:

https://www.eveonline.com/signup?invc=334ec536-4ac1-4739-9c6f-4e62cee77b53

I'd say it's worth playing around with and doing the tutorial just because there's really nothing else like it.

There's nothing else like it because game devs had the profound insight that games should be fun on May 7th 2003

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

the games free why would you not just try it out?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

anyone who would recommend eve over the extraordinary selection of extremely good social and solo games that have come out in the last 18 months is pulling your leg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

floppyspud posted:

the games free why would you not just try it out?

nice meltdown