Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Timby posted:

I think the only person to work with Conan for an extended period of time who wouldn't immediately take a bullet for him is Max Weinberg.

What happened with Max? I have not sampled this particular tea, please spill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm guessing "The Boss" Springsteen gets first dibs?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

counterfeitsaint posted:

Nothing that I've ever explicitly read, it just seems that Weinberg considers playing with the E Street Band to be his real passion and then the stuff with Conan was just a side gig, which is why he didn't follow Conan after the Tonight Show debacle, nor did he participate in that live tour Conan did during the period when he was prohibited from appearing on television.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Have we done a Late Night Talk band power ranking/tier list?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

whydirt posted:

Have we done a Late Night Talk band power ranking/tier list?

Roots at top Fred armisen at bottom end of list

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

DC Murderverse posted:

Roots at top Fred armisen at bottom end of list

Yeah I don't know what else there is to say really.

Roots >> La Bomba (just him) (when he's getting dunked on) (or doing a Year 2000 bit) >>>>>>> The other guys I guess > Fred Armisen for the like 5 times he was actually present

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

If we are going all time than Paul Shaffer is up there. Reggie Watts great. Craig Ferguson's mouth organ. Branford Marsalis for realizing he didn't want to hang around Leno for the rest of his career. Sheila E was the best thing about The Magic Hour. Doc Severinsen looked like my stepdad. I can't remember Arsenio's bandleader. Nor Joan Rivers. Nor Kimmel. Does Kimmel have a band?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah Paul Shaffer and the CBS Orchestra is S-Tier. The Roots are bogged down by being tied to Fallon, tbh

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Jon Batiste is also incredible, his Coachella set this year was awesome. Not better than the roots though, can’t be better than the roots

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

Jon Batiste is also incredible, his Coachella set this year was awesome. Not better than the roots though, can’t be better than the roots

He wised up and left late night to have an actual career, and Colber's new band leader is pretty mediocre IMO. Though I'm not the main audience anyway

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Bradford Marsalis is great just for his inability to hide all of his contempt for Jay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

Andy was on Comedy Bang Bang a while back and sorta got into it, but the gist was that when all the poo poo with Jay went down, Max was basically totally game to stick around and be Jay's band leader, which I think frayed things a little.

It's actually a surprisingly insightful interview with Andy, but he more or less launches right into it from the jump and explains how much he's not a fan of Leno, the why of NBC's decisions and just how disastrous Jay's not-Tonight Show was for local affiliates, all that stuff.

He doesn't explicitly poo poo talk Max, but you can tell there was definitely some animosity under the surface (and this interview is fairly recent, so I think it's still there). And, yeah, as others have said, he basically would drop everything to go tour with Springsteen again - mostly because of how much playing with The E Street Band meant to his career and everything that followed when he originally took the gig.

Rappaport posted:

He wised up and left late night to have an actual career, and Colber's new band leader is pretty mediocre IMO. Though I'm not the main audience anyway

It was the right move for Jon for sure, but even after a couple of years, he had that prodigy brain that makes him amazing as a musician, but poo poo for banter, which Louis Cato is at least a little better at. I too am not the target audience for the music, and literally can't hum anything they've played other than the original theme song. It's just kinda... there. I miss the random surprise of FF7 music just randomly showing up out of nowhere.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 09:46 on May 4, 2024