Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
I’ve watched a couple Kento Miyahara matches, he seems fine. Maybe he can get on my #10 spot if he leaves AJPW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jerusalem posted:

If All Japan wasn't tucked away in its own little ecosystem I would happily watch it, but it's got the same problem as Stardom (and ROH!) where I hear alot about how good it is but the only way to watch it (live, which is really the only way I want to watch wrestling) is to buy an entirely new subscription on top of others I might have just to watch that and that alone.

Still, Miyahara did REALLY well this year!

If you bought fewer big gold bars as building blocks for your home you'd be able to afford the paltry fee of £4.80/$6.06/AUS$9.32 a month. Because sure, the devaluing yen isn't great for companies in Japan being able to hold onto their wrestlers, but it doesn't mean there's basically never been a better time to watch their subscription services

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This is part of a wider issue I have and not specific to All Japan, but it's all well and good to say "it's only <x> a month" except that's <x> a month on top of the <x> a month for some other service and the <x> a month for another service and the <x> a month for another service and so on and so forth, including wrestling but also television services, software stuff if you're doing that too etc. I gotta draw the line somewhere, and right now I've got AEW, New Japan and Wrestle Universe all going (and that's just for wrestling!) and I'm not comfortable adding "only <x>" on top of that, especially if all I get for it is one promotion's shows.

Edit: And just to clarify, that sucks, because I'd love to watch ROH and All Japan and Stardom, though I don't know where I'd ever find the time, but they're just not enticing enough on their own to justify the extra cost. Package Stardom with New Japan, you cowards!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 5, 2024

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Jerusalem posted:

If All Japan wasn't tucked away in its own little ecosystem I would happily watch it, but it's got the same problem as Stardom (and ROH!) where I hear alot about how good it is but the only way to watch it (live, which is really the only way I want to watch wrestling) is to buy an entirely new subscription on top of others I might have just to watch that and that alone.

Still, Miyahara did REALLY well this year!

It's worse than that, nothing on Stardom World is live, it's all VOD aside from PPVs. You do get the PPVs on delay and post-match stuff is subtitled which helps a lot with following storylines, but still a bummer.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Oasx posted:

Unless I’m blind then Chris Jericho didn’t get a single vote, going from #9 to not being on the list at all is a major fall in ranks.

Jericho is nobody's sentimental favorite these days and I don't think he had a single standout match in 2023. He definitely took a back seat this year as opposed to 2022 when he busted out the Lionheart to wrestle Danielson and Moxley.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

karmicknight posted:

my list (in order) with the point total.

Jerusalem posted:

code:
42	Raku			12	My #1
41	Pom Harajuku		13	My #2
46	Hikari Noa		8	My #3
19	Miyu Yamashita		51	My #4
48	Moka Miyamoto		6	My #5
29	Hyper Misao		27	My #6
32	Yuki Kamifuku		23	My #7
26	Miu Watanabe		34	My #8
52	Juria Nagano		2	My #9
51	Ram Kaichow		3	My #10
that all checks out.

Some S T A T S from my list in particular (do your own math too, it's FUN)

code:
42	Raku			12	My #1 	83.3% of score
41	Pom Harajuku		13	My #2 	69.2% of score
46	Hikari Noa		8	My #3 	100% of score
19	Miyu Yamashita		51	My #4	13.7% of score
48	Moka Miyamoto		6	My #5	100% of score
29	Hyper Misao		27	My #6	18.5% of score
32	Yuki Kamifuku		23	My #7	17.4% of score
26	Miu Watanabe		34	My #8	08.8% of score
52	Juria Nagano		2	My #9 	100% of score
51	Ram Kaichow		3	My #10	33.3% of score
I was 30.7% of the total points provided for my picks. (my points provided to my picks (55)/ total points of my picks (179))
I only contributed less that that percentage to 3 of my picks (Miyu Yamashita, Kamiyu, and Miu Watanabe), which is also the same number of picks where I was the only voter for them (Hikari Noa, Main Even Moka, and Juria Nagano).

Can you tell i was looking at J-Ru's old stats posts that prompted me to do this.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

karmicknight posted:

Some S T A T S from my list in particular (do your own math too, it's FUN)

code:
42	Raku			12	My #1 	83.3% of score
41	Pom Harajuku		13	My #2 	69.2% of score
46	Hikari Noa		8	My #3 	100% of score
19	Miyu Yamashita		51	My #4	13.7% of score
48	Moka Miyamoto		6	My #5	100% of score
29	Hyper Misao		27	My #6	18.5% of score
32	Yuki Kamifuku		23	My #7	17.4% of score
26	Miu Watanabe		34	My #8	08.8% of score
52	Juria Nagano		2	My #9 	100% of score
51	Ram Kaichow		3	My #10	33.3% of score
I was 30.7% of the total points provided for my picks. (my points provided to my picks (55)/ total points of my picks (179))
I only contributed less that that percentage to 3 of my picks (Miyu Yamashita, Kamiyu, and Miu Watanabe), which is also the same number of picks where I was the only voter for them (Hikari Noa, Main Even Moka, and Juria Nagano).

Can you tell i was looking at J-Ru's old stats posts that prompted me to do this.

Lol pretty sure I got you beat on the 30.7 reallllll easily

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i voted for ten different versions of Fuckstick Michael from my hometown

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

stab posted:

Lol pretty sure I got you beat on the 30.7 reallllll easily

almost certainly.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Great job J-Ru! Thanks for getting this together.

I did pretty good overall, and while I had high hopes OC might get in the Top 3, I'm happy to see a very deserving Swerve, Eddie, and Danielson at the top of the mountain.

code:
Thread Rank                    My Rank
1	Bryan Danielson		4
2	Eddie Kingston		3
3	Swerve Strickland	7
4	Orange Cassidy		1
7	Kenny Omega		5
8	Jon Moxley		6
9	Hangman Adam Page	2
11	Samoa Joe		8
30	Penta El Zero M		9
38	Jamie Hayter		10

BodyMassageMachine fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 5, 2024

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Did alright overall.

code:
Thread Rank                    My Rank		Percentage of Overall Score
1	Bryan Danielson		4		1.3% of overall score
2	Eddie Kingston		1		2.25% of overall score	
6	Christian Cage		5		2.77% of overall score
8	Jon Moxley		7		2.78% of overall score
10	Zack Sabre Jr.		3		6.11% of overall score
11	Samoa Joe		8		2.34% of overall score
12	Athena			10		0.81% of overall score
14	Kazuchika Okada		2		8.11% of overall score
28	Hikaru Shida		6		17.2% of overall score
39	Kenoh			9		13.33% of overall score
My picks did alright overall.

However, I am deeply unsettled that Shida tied with loving Beepee Jr.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

edogawa rando posted:

However, I am deeply unsettled that Shida tied with loving Beepee Jr.

Shoulda done a Cameo

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

7 of my top 10 were in the top 10. I am basic but as far as I'm concerned those guys are there for a reason.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Shoulda been more Rush votes. Is he on Cameo?

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

I'm just happy Manders got on there and another person putting him on the list, being the only pro I know personally

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

super macho dude posted:

I'm just happy Manders got on there and another person putting him on the list, being the only pro I know personally

I wanted his blood earlier this year, praying for Big Red to literally murder him, his heel work was awesome

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony

Jerusalem posted:

Anyways, thanks for reading along all those who have, and thanks to everybody who made Top Ten lists this year! I'll put together a little stats thing in the next week or so, but for now I'm gonna go sleep for like 30 hours :)

Thanks for putting all this together! Looks like an insane amount of work.

Sandman from ECW posted:

Shoulda been more Rush votes. Is he on Cameo?

yes.
and yes:
https://www.cameo.com/toroblancorush

forkboy84 posted:

2024 is the year I convince you fuckers to watch Kento Miyahara, swear to god
I did get to see Aoyagi's triple crown defense against him and loved it. I had promised myself I was going to watch more Stardom at the start of the year, and then after the g1 I had hoped to watch a lot more all japan, neither came to be. Big problem was CMLL having an unexpected boom year and actually trying new things so ended up watching a lot more there than I'd expected. It's a good problem to have, but it also means I don't get to watch other stuff as much.

I was taken aback when doing this by how much AEW I watch. There weren't a lot of AEW guys in my top 10, but if I had done a top 20 most of 11-20 would have been Swerve, Bryan, Eddie, etc. I was all aboard AEW until Hangman lost to Punk and I stopped watching complete shows after that and just catching matches that get recommended here. I didn't think I paid as close attention to them as I actually do.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

excelent work

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

My stats:

code:
Unagi Sayaka    - PSP: #50 - Me: #7
Maika           - PSP: #44 - Me: #5
Chris Brookes   - PSP: #40 - Me: #10
Guilia          - PSP: #39 - Me: #9
Gunther         - PSP: #16 - Me: #3
Athena          - PSP: #12 - Me: #6
Jon Moxley      - PSP: #8  - Me: #2
Will Ospreay    - PSP: #5  - Me: #1
Eddie Kingston  - PSP: #2  - Me: #4
Bryan Danielson - PSP: #1  - Me: #8
Jerusalem, thank you so much for this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I'll put together a little stats thing in the next week or so

..."or so" doing a lot of heavy lifting here :stare:

I'll put up stats for this year's Top Ten lists this weekend! Now that I've written it, I have to do it! I kept meaning to and then getting distracted by other things, sorry!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

..."or so" doing a lot of heavy lifting here :stare:

I'll put up stats for this year's Top Ten lists this weekend! Now that I've written it, I have to do it! I kept meaning to and then getting distracted by other things, sorry!

Doctor Who comes back this weekend

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Doctor Who comes back this weekend

So I REALLY better get it done!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just wait another 7 months and you can use it for the 2024 countdown

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I enjoyed this being bumped so I could be reminded that some sicko included The Great Kojika in their top 10. Also cracked up at that photo being used for the King of Bread Club.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well hell, I let it sit for like 4 months because I kept meaning to but being sidelined from making some (hopefully) relevant/mildly interesting statistics from our latest iteration of our favorite wrestlers thread. So, belatedly, here we go!

As always, we start with the easy stuff. This year we had 94 Goons post lists of their Top 10 Favorite Active Pro-Wrestlers, a slight decrease from the 106 and 103 in 2022 and 2021 respectively, but still a big lift from 2020's rather dismal 65, though still below the 114 from 2019's thread. In terms of the individual wrestlers listed, we ended up with 198 wrestlers in total listed, which is down from last year's record total of 217, 2021's 212 and 2019's 202, but above 2020's 186. This roughly averages out to 200 wrestlers every year being listed as at least one person's Top Ten favorite wrestler in the world, and I think that's just great!

Of those 198 wrestlers, 136 were men and 61 were women, with 1 sitting in the catch-all category of "Other" for those wrestlers who don't define a specific gender. This, quite happily, is the highest total of women wrestlers to ever appear on any prior version of this poll. There has been a gradual shift up in the number of women wrestlers for most years, and I hope we see this continue through future versions of this thread. I also hope we see more women wrestlers appearing in the Top Ten!

In terms of promotions, 22 wrestling promotions were represented across people's lists, plus one extra broadly defined "independents" category that served as a catch-all. This compares to last year's 23 promotions. As noted in 2022's thread, prior years featured more overall promotions due to slight differentiation in how categories were put together over the years: one year Independent Joshi was its own category, for instance, or NXT wrestlers were briefly considered their own promotion before being lumped in with the rest of WWE.

Below I've put together some very basic graphs for gender and representing how each promotion fared. I've updated last year's comparison to show the vote totals each promotion has gotten in each year. I think it's quite interesting to see which promotions have seemingly fallen or see-sawed in popularity, and to see some just not get represented at all in some years.

In terms of the big picture, it's interesting to see Independents/Others starting to lift up higher again after a bit of a drop last year. Interest in WWE has risen though it's still nowhere near the highs it reached when it was really the only mainstream American wrestling going back in 2019 (I'm sorry TNA and ROH, but you weren't). TJPW's fortunes keep rising as more and more (2) people are grasping that TJPW absolutely rules. IMPACT (now back to being TNA) remains steadfast in its small but loyal support. But what I find more interesting is that New Japan's seeming lift in popularity with the end of the pandemic hasn't really been sustained, perhaps in part because of AEW picking up a number of New Japan's top or prominent wrestlers... but AEW has also dropped in its overall number of wrestlers being listed as favorites, though it remains far and away the promotion with the most popular wrestlers for the subforum.

I was unable to get a complete listing of ages for all of the submitted wrestlers, so the following data is not necessarily accurate:
  • The youngest wrestler submitted was Billie Starkz at only 19-years-old, with former prominent youngsters like Marcus Mathers and Suzu Suzuki both being 21-years-old now, while Mikoto Shindo and AZM who both made youngest popular wrestler at 18 in 2019 and 2020 respectively weren't added to anybody's poll. AEW actually had a younger active wrestler in 18-year-old Nick Wayne in 2023, but he made nobody's list for this year's thread.
  • The oldest wrestler submitted this year blew away 2021's former record holder Black Terry, as the Great Kojika wrestled in 2023 and thus made the list at an incredible 81-years-old! To put that in context, both 70-year-old Tatsumi Fujinami and 74-year-old Yoshiaki Fujiwara were added to lists this year and would have been the oldest wrestlers ever otherwise, but Great Kojika is older by over half a decade than Fujiwara and by over a decade than Fujinami! 64-year-old Sting, who retired in early 2024, is like a little babby on the 2023 rankings!
  • 9 wrestlers in total were over the age of 50 in 2022, but in 2023 that number hit 12, with two wrestlers in their 70s and one in their 80s!
  • The average age of this year's picks were 33.08, dropping below last year's highest ever average of 33.38 (2021 was 32.99, 2020 was 33.2 and 2019 was 32.8). The 2023 average age is roughly the age of Anthony Bowens, Speedball Mike Bailey, EFFY, Rey Fénix, Stokely Hathaway, Ruby Soho, Ricky Starks, Swerve Strickland, Titán & IYO SKY. Kazuchika Okada at 36 is now well out of that average age, which is just fine by him given he spent much of 2023 wanting those goddamn kids to get off his lawn!
  • Jaguar Yokota easily took the spot as oldest woman wrestler from 3-time oldest woman wrestler Emi Sakura (47). Since 2019, Aja Kong had been the oldest woman to ever be picked in somebody's Top Ten at 48, but Yokota's 62 blows that out of the water.

This year, Bryan Danielson continued his astonishing domination of these threads by making it 3 back-to-back wins as Punch Sport Pagoda's Favorite Active Wrestler of the Year. Unlike in 2022, however, this time it was never in doubt. Danielson held the top spot from the first list posted to the last, and ended up over 100 points higher than his next closest competitor. The story then became about who could finish in second place, and THAT was a tough 3-way-battle where Eddie Kingston, Swerve Strickland and Orange Cassidy vied for the Silver Medal Finish. When the dust had settled, all three of these wrestlers ended up with their highest finish ever, but every single list that included (or didn't include!) them made a difference. Swerve and Orange, in particular, were separated by less than a single first place vote. Because, of course, every list counts!

https://i.imgur.com/fhWMoAM.mp4

With a new year, and another 500+ points performance by Bryan Danielson, we have new stats to add to show which wrestlers have proven to have staying power at the top over the last several years, and which were briefly exceptionally popular before either settling down or falling entirely away:

Danielson makes 4 appearances in the Top 25, 3 of them taking up spots in the Top 5 with only Kazuchika Okada and Tomohiro Ishii's 2019 rankings keeping him from holding the Top 3 all to himself. Ironically, both those 2019 spots for Okada and Ishii are their only spots in the Top 25, along with Kota Ibushi and Minoru Suzuki. What does this mean? Well it means that New Japan was a BIG loving DEAL in 2019, with AEW not existing for most of that year and thus New Japan holding the top spot as the only promotion in the world that could really stand out against the juggernaut of blandness that was WWE.

Otherwise, AEW dominates. Of the Top 25, 20 of the spots are held by AEW wrestlers, 4 by New Japan, and 1 by WWE. Yes, WWE makes the Top 25! You know how? Because in 2019, a certain wrestler called Daniel Bryan finished #3 behind Kazuchika Okada and Tomohiro Ishii. Because Punch Sport Pagoda really, really, really, really, REALLY loving loves Bryan Danielson!

Will Ospreay and Swerve Strickland make their first appearances in the overall Top 25 thanks to their 2023 rankings, while Chris Jericho's one spot comes from 2019. Jamie Hayter meanwhile not only has only one appearance in the Top 25, but she is the ONLY woman's wrestler in the Top 25. Given that the percentage of women wrestlers is the highest it has ever been this year, hopefully we start seeing more women wrestlers getting into those top spots. Hopefully Jamie Hayter is one of them again, because holy poo poo her 2022 title reign really was pretty goddamn incredible.

But of course there were plenty of other wrestlers besides Danielson, Eddie Kingston, Orange Cassidy and Swerve Strickland who got listed too, 194 more in fact! For anybody insane enough to be interested in the math, here is a complete ranked listing of every vote made. Thank God for Excel and automated counting:

While the point of the thread was to see who our favorites for 2023 were, it's also useful for showing us who has become MORE popular since 2022, as well as who has lost popularity. Here is a breakdown of the most significant changes I noticed, let us know if I missed any that stood out for you!

Falls From Grace:

Claudio Castagnoli: Despite his previous two mid-ranking appearances in prior versions of this thread, and his high profile in AEW, ROH title win and regular appearances in PPV main events where he continually impresses, Claudio only managed to rank 46/53 in 2023.
Dax Harwood: Whether fairly or unfairly, Dax got somewhat painted in PSP as a problem-maker whose loyalty to CM Punk and attempts to call out wrestling reporters like Dave Meltzer. While his wrestling continued to be top notch, Dax dropped all the way from his regular mid-ranking positions in other years to 52/53 in 2023.
Jamie Hayter: It's not her fault, obviously, as due to a long-term injury absence, Hayter went from the highest ranking woman wrestler in any prior version of this thread in 2022 to 38/53 in 2023. That high a finish actually goes to show how popular she remains, she was barely in any wrestling at all!
Keith Lee: Though we didn't really have the details, Lee also suffered injuries and frequent absences in 2023 that upset his momentum. This lead him to a near-bottom 51/53 position after ranking 19th in 2022.
Mei Suruga: After frequent appearances in roughly the middle of the pack for 2020, 2021 and 2022, Mei Suruga seemed to lose somewhat of a presence in PSP and dropped to a surprisingly low 52/53 ranking for 2023.
Mei Saint-Michel: Sakisama's little Goblin Maid has been exiled to the palatial French estate of her mistress for possibly all time, meaning her 52/53 ranking for 2023 is likely to be her last.
PAC: Another victim of out-of-sight, out-of-mind, PAC's predilection for disappearing for months at a time to scowl under a bridge in Newcastle saw him end up with a bottom ranking for the year.

Miraculous Ascensions:

Athena: Sitting at 42/63 in 2022, Athena rose up to her highest ever ranking in 2023, finishing in 12th Place AND ranking as Punch Sport Pagoda's favorite woman wrestler for the year!
Christian Cage: From near the very bottom in 2022 with a 61/63 finish, Christian Cage not only blew past his 37/63 ranking in 2021 to finish 2023 in the Top 10 with a 9/53 ranking, his best ever.
Dalton Castle: After seemingly fading from view as one of the last survivors of the dying days of Sinclair Broadcasting's version of ROH, either not ranking at all or only managing low single point spots, Dalton managed to lift to the middle of the pack in 2023 with a 36/53 ranking as he continually delights in Tony Khan's ROH and infrequent spots on AEW.
El Hijo del Vikingo: Normally ranking near the bottom of lists in previous years (which still makes him a favorite, being on the list ANYWHERE is an accomplishment!), Vikingo's increased profile with matches in AEW saw him rank in the Top 20 for 2023.
Gunther: His record-breaking Intercontinental Title run saw Gunther rank 16/53 in 2023, easily eclipsing his best ever prior ranking of 43/63 in 2021, and making him the most popular WWE wrestler in PSP for the year.
Kento Miyahara: Kento managed his best ever finish in 2023, ranking in the Top 25 for the year after usually being more towards the bottom rankings.
Kris Statlander: After her own lengthy absence sure her drop from the Top 10 in 2021 to 52/63 in 2022, in 2023 Statlander returned to the ring, defeated Jade Cargill, won the TBS title, formed a team with Willow Nightingale and Stokely Hathaway, and managed a 18/53 finish this year.
Rhea Ripley: After not managing to rank in 2022, 2021 or 2019, and only managing a 41/43 ranking in 2020, Rhea Ripley's role as the leader of Judgment Day and one of the Women's World Champions in WWE got her a best ever finish of 22/53 this year.
Saki Akai: Her planned retirement saw Saki Akai get some of the attention she deserved, and she wrapped up her career with a best ever finish of 31/53 for the year.
Sakisama: What a shame that she grew tired of all the ugly people and decided to return to France, as Sakisama actually managed a career best finish of 31/53 for 2023 in PSP.
Timeless Toni Storm: Storm's entirely new, and utterly unhinged, character was embraced enthusiastically by most in PSP, taking her to a best ever Top 20 finish of 15/53 for the year.

A special mention for Zack Sabre Jr., who broke his tradition of a 12th place finish for 3 out of the previous 4 threads by this year improving to his first ever Top Ten finish!

In addition to the above, there were a number of wrestlers who featured as Top Ten Favorites in 2022 who disappeared in 2023. Some for understandable reasons, some gigantic surprises. There may also be a few who changed names and I just didn't pick up on it. Whatever the case, here are those wrestlers who were good enough to be listed as some of the absolutely favorite wrestlers for goons in 2022 who didn't even rate a mention in 2023 (bolded where I thought they were notable, though that's only my opinion):

Ace Austin, Adam Cole, AKIRA (MLW), Alec Price, Andrade El Idolo, Anna Jay, Antonio Honda, Arisu Endo, Bandido, Bayley, Ben-K, Big Mami, Bryan Alvarez, Calvin Tankman, Cameron Grimes, Chad Gable, Charlotte Flair, Chihiro Hashimoto,Chris Bey, Chris Jericho, CM Punk, Danhausen, Dante Martin, David Finlay, Diamante (DG), DOUKI, Dr. Britt Baker DMD, Drew Parker, Early Morning Guy Steele, El Lindaman, El Phantasmo, Finn Bálor, Francesco Akira, Frankie Kazarian, Fuego Del Sol, Great O-Khan, HOOK, Jade Cargill, Jado, Jason Lee, Jay Briscoe, Joey Janela, John Silver, Johnny Knoxville, Jun Kasai, Jungle Boy, Jungle Kyona, Kaho Kobayashi, KAIRI, Kaori Yoneyama, KENTA, Kidd Bandit, Komander, Konami, Kyle O'Reilly, Kzy, Logan Paul, Luchasaurus, Makoto, Mandy Rose, Masaaki Mochizuki, Masha Slamovich, Matt Cardona, Max Caster, Mistico, Miyako Matsumoto, Mizuki, Paul Wight, Ren Narita, Robbie Eagles, Sammy Guevara, SCRYPTS, Sebastian Wolfe, Shigehiro Irie, SHO, Shun Skywalker, Slim J, Suzume, Tam Nakano, Tama Tonga, Tay Conti, The Bunny, The Butcher, Thunder Rosa, TJP, Tony Nese, Trent?, Waka Tsukiyama, Wheeler Yuta, Xavier Woods, YAMATO, YOSHI-HASHI, YOSHIHIKO, Yuji Hino, Yuki Yoshioka, & Yuu.

Phew!

Finally, as with last year I decided to keep a running tally of the Top 20 results, though this time it was after EVERY list posted as oppoed to at the end of each day. That was... a lot! But it does mean you all get to see one of my favorite things during the period where lists are being posted, seeing the little battles and "rivalries" that unfold in the Top 20 across the course of the eligible period for posting lists. This is why every. single. list. matters!

https://i.imgur.com/j6sMJsO.mp4

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 12, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

But wait... there's more! We all predicted and got a consensus view as a result, but who is the most (and least) in tune with the Punch Sport Pagoda mindset? I kept track of all of your Top Ten Lists and compared them to our final results. For every wrestler in a goon's top ten who ended up in the overall top ten, I gave that poster 1 point. For every wrestler in a goon's top ten who ended up in the EXACT place as they did on the overall top ten, I gave that poster 2 points (thus a perfect match to the overall top ten would be worth 20 points).

So who knows us better than we know ourselves? Big Coffin Hunter, that's who! With 11 points out of a maximum possible 20, they correctly placed the exact rankings of Eddie Kingston, Will Ospreay and Jon Moxley on their list, and also got right that Orange Cassidy, Hangman Adam Page, Bryan Danielson, Swerve Strickland and Kenny Omega would appear in the overall Top Ten. Samoa Joe and Konosuke Takeshita didn't make the Top 10, but they got pretty close, and so Big Coffin Hunter takes the top prize* for most closely aligning with the consensus view of Punch Sport Pagoda!
* There is no actual prize.

Barreft, duckdealer and Plastic Automaton (one half of last year's "winner"!) all managed a respectable 10 points, with Plastic Automaton also managing to correctly place 4 wrestlers (Danielson, Strickland, Cassidy & Cage) on their list, but allowing their love for Athena, Takeshita, MJF and Satoshi Kojima (who elbow dropped CM Punk's nuts, by the way) to get the better of them... which is the right thing to do, this is THEIR list of THEIR personal favorites!

Purple Monkey, Seams and Visual Basic Bitch were the bronze medal* winners with 9 points, with each correctly guessing 7 wrestlers in their Top Tens and getting two spots perfect. ChrisBTY, who was one half of last year's "winner" also managed to guess 7 wrestlers in their Top Ten, but only got one final spot perfect: Bryan Danielson's.
* There is no bronze, silver or gold medal.

On the other side of the equation, Big Dave, Burn Down Canberra, Edward Mass, forkboy84, MathMathCalculation, karmicknight, KungFu Grip, Lamuella, Numero6, SG Bamboo & Stab all managed to have lists completely at odds with the overall Top 10. The "worst" results though goes to DogsInSpace! who got none of the final Top Ten "right" and also only included 4 wrestlers in their Top Ten. But... this was a list of their personal favorites and they can like whoever the hell they want!

code:
Big Coffin Hunter	11
Barreft			10
duckdealer		10
PlasticAutomaton	10
Purple Monkey		9
Seams			9
Visual Basic Bitch	9
ChrisBTY		8
DMCrimson		8
Gaz_L			8
Jerusalem		8
Kull the Conqueror	8
Kvantum			8
A Fancy Hat		7
Artelier		7
BodyMassageMachine	7
Carver			7
graph			7
Guillermus		7
kalensc			7
Kennel			7
Outlaw Mailman		7
Sandman McMahon		7
Scruffy the Janitor	7
STONE COLD 64		7
UnleashedDad		7
apophenium		6
Captain Foo		6
Cavauro			6
CombineThresher		6
Crapple!		6
Goblin Queen		6
Integrated Houston	6
Kevino07		6
Mr E			6
Oasx			6
On The Internet		6
Pillowpants		6
Red is Dead		6
Spiggy			6
ThePariah		6
tigerdriver82		6
Twin Cinema		6
yea ok			6
A Real Horse		5
Bard Maddox		5
Beer_Suitcase		5
edogawa rando		5
Erin M. Fiasco		5
Fad			5
faantastic		5
IcePhoenix		5
neoaxd			5
Pinwiz11		5
Rarity			5
super macho dude	5
Suplex Liberace		5
The Taxman		5
TheWorstAmy		5
Venomous		5
Dancing Peasant		4
Davros1			4
Fish of Doom		4
Glass Punkbull 141	4
NutShellBill		4
Pat Mustard		4
Punch McLightning	4
zetamind2000		4
Vandar			4
SamuraiFoochs		3
Taffy Torpedo		3
Tampa Bae		3
Warthur			3
achillesforever6	2
Eat My Fuc		2
fez_machine		2
Senerio			2
this kid is nuts	2
mooseinfants		2
pressedbunny		2
Diplomat!		1
Rick			1
Sooper Gila		1
Big Dave		0
Burn Down Canberra	0
Edward Mass		0
forkboy84		0
MathMathCalculation	0
karmicknight		0
KungFu Grip		0
Lamuella		0
Numero6			0
SG Bamboo		0
stab			0
DogsInSpace!		0
And... that's that! The thread is done for another year! A little late this time around, but may it serve as a reminder to start thinking about who you might like to include in your Top Ten for the 2024 version of the thread! You can change it at any time, but keeping a tally is always a helpful way to remind yourself of everything you were loving over the course of the year. There's a lot of great wrestling and a lot of great wrestlers, let's enjoy them all together!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 13, 2024

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

And... that's that! The thread is done for another year! A little late this time around, but may it serve as a reminder to start thinking about who you might like to include in your Top Ten for the 2024 version of the thread! You can change it at any time, but keeping a tally is always a helpful way to remind yourself of everything you were loving over the course of the year. There's a lot of great wrestling and a lot of great wrestlers, let's enjoy them all together!

At this very early stage I can say that my current top 10 contains 1 wrestler who was in my top 10 last year, Yuma Anzai. There is also an AEW wrestler, a NJPW wrestler (though his best match was in DG) & SEVEN Dragongate wrestlers. And I haven't even watched their biggest show of the year to date yet. But there's still a whole lot of wrestling to go, but none the less, it's a pretty great Dragongate year.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Great work! Very fun to read through this info.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
The satisfaction of an animated bar chart is always worth the wait. Though, that has been countered by the crippling misery of reading that 36 is "well out of [the] average age". (I, too, have wanted kids to get off my lawn this year.)

BD is gonna win this until he's retireddead, isn't he? That's such an insanely big and early/sustained lead, I can't imagine anyone beating him; it's always going to be a race for second place.

Nigel McGuiness hates us.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mox did make Danielson work for it in 2022 but that was Mox having arguably the best year of his entire career, firing on all cylinders, carrying AEW on his back and doing EVERYTHING and it still wasn't enough to beat Danielson. It's kinda crazy.

pressedbunny posted:

Nigel McGuiness hates us.

And wait till he finds out about the thread, too!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

This is great stuff j ru, thanks !!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I wasn't even aware I was "co-winner" last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

I wasn't even aware I was "co-winner" last year.

I posted congratulations in last year's thread and everything :smith:

But the joke's on you, PlasticAutomaton got to revel in the grand prize all for themselves!

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Yay! I won absolutely nothing. :3

See!