Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Lmao - Sub simply cannot stop posting absolute heat in this thread

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ok time to sit down and watch some kino

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Third Man

Hell, sometimes the classics live up to their reputation. hadn't seen this besides some of the most referenced scenes and i'm glad that i finally did. i'm sure i can't say anything clever about this film that hasn't already been said, so i'll just say what I enjoyed, probably amateurishly:

one thing i like about Joseph Cotten as a noir protagonist is that he has this charming awkwardness that people like Bogie and Mitchum don't have, but then his characters get angry and he brings the same kind of quiet fury that they do. a lot of the typical noir techniques are used (light is one of the biggest ones, obviously). they often tilt the camera to demonstrate power one character has over another. a lot of filming through doors and windows and alleyways to frame people, with actors who know how to position themselves and move for those kinds of shots. it doesn't lean too heavily on the close-ups-with-catch-lights, but it totally earns it when it uses them.

the framing does an incredible job of making everything feel either like a huge, intimidating, wide open space or a claustrophobic trap (often switching from second to second) but it also does more than that. it's impressive how much each of the external shots looks its own set. almost every scene makes an impressive photo, basically. the pleasant, bouncy incidental music isn't what i'm used to for this kind of movie and I think it was a vaguely horrifying juxtaposition, in a good way. i'm used to Hays Code movies from this time so seeing a woman only wearing pasties took me by surprise, lol.

i dunno, I could write about it forever, but really, what is there to say besides that this is a classic for a reason? orson welles is orson loving welles. it's Graham Greene writing in his comfort zone. it's well acted, well filmed, and well directed. what's not to love?

in case anyone is interested in the "1001 movies to watch before you die," here's a spreadsheet i borrowed and tweaked a lot. it has a lot more than 1001 because it takes the movies from every version of the book into account, so the list has grown. i created in 2019 so there's another tab that has movies that have been added since then. it has a tracker at the bottom if you want to make a copy and mark off the movies you've seen to get a percentage, if that's all you're interested in:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1z4zbk8GnevUpzlAhEDYK0FercZF8sc2J/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=113669165833002806532&rtpof=true&sd=true

there's no perfect list for movies, obviously. everyone has personal tastes and it's hard to balance between stuff like popular opinion, critical consensus, cult classics, covering every era and genre, addressing people psychotic enough to enjoy Dirty Duck, etc. etc., but i've found the 1001 list to be pretty good.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

no bad boy bubby? list is incomplete

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

trying to jack off posted:

no bad boy bubby? list is incomplete

alright, fine. if you watch Parenthood, i'll watch this and also post about whatever nightmares it inevitably gives me, from reading the descriptions of it.

you can all thank me that i didn't post anything about my Dirty Duck dreams. my wife is worried about me.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Bicyclops posted:

alright, fine. if you watch Parenthood, i'll watch this and also post about whatever nightmares it inevitably gives me, from reading the descriptions of it.

you can all thank me that i didn't post anything about my Dirty Duck dreams. my wife is worried about me.

Start a movie dream thread

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Third man rocked great pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

herculon posted:

Start a movie dream thread

absolutely do that