Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
man theyre showin sting & darbs vs ftr and sting just hit a flying crossbody from the second rope onto dax drat. stings really going itm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sting eying up each guy in the ring and moving on, but taking special note of Darby, it's so loving good.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

AEW is premiering a video about all of Sting's best moments in the company right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlfCMoj4YDM

More proof Tony reads the forums.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

sting would have kicked undertaker's spooky rear end, 100%

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

https://twitter.com/PlayersTribune/status/1763942340883038214

The article is amazing, just tons of heartfelt messages about Sting.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Sting owns and im actually a bit torn up at him retiring but I am glad he is leaving on his own terms

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

i’m sad for the stinger but glad he can finally delete “face paint” from his budget spreadsheet

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Sting deserved the best retirement and I'm glad he's getting it especially after how WWE treated him

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Steve Jr there sounds so much like his dad I got very confused for a second.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I made this in grade school, it has seen better days, I should try to get the crud off if possible, maybe redo it on acrylic. I have four stretched canvases sitting around maybe I should use them...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I wonder if MRT was cooler than me in grade schoo-

MassRafTer posted:

I made this in grade school, it has seen better days, I should try to get the crud off if possible, maybe redo it on acrylic. I have four stretched canvases sitting around maybe I should use them...

gently caress, they were.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I have always loved Sting. I started watching WWF in 1990 and immediately became obsessed and very quickly found that the video store also had something called WCW! The Flair/Steamboat/Funk storyline on vhs got me to find WCW on tv and there was loving Sting. He owned and while I never could get into Hogan or any of the other kid-pandering stars I was absolutely a little Stinger.

He and Bret were absolutely my childhood wrestling heroes.

And after I finally dropped off of being a wrestling fan as an adult after years of terrible WWE programming, only a year or so later I heard that Sting had returned and I looked for the clip on youtube and loving Tony Schiavone was somehow back too! And they were in something called AEW which was apparently a real promotion on loving TNT!? I had so dropped off wrestling that I had only vaguely heard of a new promotion and assumed it was just another Global Force/WWA/whatever bullshit.

Sting cemented my love for pro wrestling when I was 10 and again when I was 40. loving legend.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I wasn't a kid who watched wrestling in the 80's and my early 90's was all WWF. My first real introduction to the Man called Sting was when I started watching Nitro in 1996 when the NWO started. I wasn't really much into Sting at first, but the goddamn year he spent in the rafters, the cool rear end Crow facepaint, I started to get into him. I thought Wolfpac Sting was cool and I was happy for Sting to get to wrestle Flair on the final Nitro. Then I really didn't think about Sting again for a long time. I was a very LolTNA guy so I never really got into TNA and I was under the impression that Sting was old and washed.

I liked his brief stint in WWE even though I was really annoyed he didn't get a Mania match vs Taker, and then he had his match with Seth and I felt like that was the end of Sting.

When Sting first came to AEW I was REALLY critical of the decision. At the time AEW just had Dynamite as it's main show, it was already a challenge to get everyone on the show and I was like "Goddamn they do NOT need old washed up Sting hogging the screen!" Boy I couldn't have been more wrong. I've really enjoyed Stings run in AEW and this is coming from someone who was not a Sting fan at all. I have really loved the "Sting was supposed to make Darby less crazy and instead Darby made Sting more crazy" storyline. All his matches have been great. He knows his limitations and really works around them well. His run in AEW has made me a fan and has made me so sad that this is the end of the road tonight.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

I have really loved the "Sting was supposed to make Darby less crazy and instead Darby made Sting more crazy" storyline.

Storyline?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Shard posted:

Sting deserved the best retirement and I'm glad he's getting it especially after how WWE treated him

The number of fedbrained idiots I've seen in the last few days insisting he timed this now so he could go finish out 'for real' at Wrestlemania has done me a moral injury.

That said, another point of how much Sting owns: getting his boys to come out as his old gimmicks for his last entrance. Owns owns owns.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

ftw

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

SalTheBard posted:

I've really enjoyed Stings run in AEW and this is coming from someone who was not a Sting fan at all. I have really loved the "Sting was supposed to make Darby less crazy and instead Darby made Sting more crazy" storyline. All his matches have been great. He knows his limitations and really works around them well. His run in AEW has made me a fan and has made me so sad that this is the end of the road tonight.

This comparison may just be because of his recent death, but Sting's AEW run really reminds me of Terry Funk's long middle aged and crazy period. Mostly in the sense that he still really knew what the crowd enjoyed but he also acknowledged that he couldn't just repeat the same routine he did in his prime. Thus, falling back on cool hardcore spots that automatically become cooler when a weird old man does them. They're both just really good examples of aging gracefully in wrestling, even if in-character they involve yelling about how you're old but you aren't done yet.

(Sting's AEW career is now in the past tense, and that feels really weird.)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Crikey, I can hear Tony Schiavone bellowing "THIS IS STIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

edogawa rando posted:

Crikey, I can hear Tony Schiavone bellowing "THIS IS STIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!"

That's what Justin Roberts yells. Tony goes IT'S STIIIIIIIINNNNNG

(also Li'l MRT is writing out the whispered poem from Crow Sting's entrance)

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Sting is kind of a blind spot for me. Are there any recommended matches to watch?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mariooncrack posted:

Sting is kind of a blind spot for me. Are there any recommended matches to watch?

Vs Vader, Starrcade 92
Vs Vader, Strap match Superbrawl
Vs Flair Clash of the Champions
Vs DDP Nitro '99
with Luger vs Steiners, Superbrawl
War Games 91
War Games 92

There aren't a ton of classics but those are all excellent.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MassRafTer posted:

Vs Vader, Starrcade 92
Vs Vader, Strap match Superbrawl
Vs Flair Clash of the Champions
Vs DDP Nitro '99
with Luger vs Steiners, Superbrawl
War Games 91
War Games 92

There aren't a ton of classics but those are all excellent.

with darby allin vs the young bucks, aew revolution 2024 :haw:

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Sting had a cool match with Cactus Jack back in the day. I haven’t watched it in 20 years but it’s probably still a cool match! I dunno!

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
His series with Muta in 89-90 was excellent as well. So far ahead of its time in terms of American wrestling.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

His matches in late wcw were never really allowed to be great unless the upper office didn't mind a clean finish. His match with DDP is pretty great. I also liked his match in TNA vs Jarrett. And he had a lot of great matches in Japan in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sandman from ECW posted:

Sting had a cool match with Cactus Jack back in the day. I haven’t watched it in 20 years but it’s probably still a cool match! I dunno!

Yeah the Beach Blast match should have been on my list.