Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

RBA Starblade posted:

Well gently caress you too, DD2. I fuckup the recollection riddle, my bad. I decide to fight it, I win, and as its health hits zero, my main pawn stops waiting in the corner like I told him to smash her in the face and she gets mad and leaves.

gently caress you!

Hope you had a recent inn save!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mordiceius posted:

Hope you had a recent inn save!

Bad news! :v:

I just rolled with it, accepting that ol' Beef Supreme has hosed something up once again. He even warned me he was going to do it, loudly telling everyone what all living things' weakness is halfway through lol

But yeah turns out the Wait command wears off and it will do it at the worst time. That's a really fun and good fight though. The Sphinx is so cool

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RBA Starblade posted:

Bad news! :v:

I just rolled with it, accepting that ol' Beef Supreme has hosed something up once again. He even warned me he was going to do it, loudly telling everyone what all living things' weakness is halfway through lol

But yeah turns out the Wait command wears off and it will do it at the worst time. That's a really fun and good fight though. The Sphinx is so cool

friend me on steam (sbjnctv) so I can experience Beef Supreme!

also, even if you are mod-averse, I highly recommend this mod, which fixed a normal map compression error in the game. I can imagine Capcom issuing an update that fixes this, because it's so dumb and simple and makes everything look so much better:

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/mods/766?tab=description

quote:

This mod does 2 things. It forces the game to always load the highest quality normal maps, while also addressing a compression error on every texture.
This was achieved with a Photoshop script via a series of batch action. Simple, with immediate results.
The best way to verify that the mod is working as intended, is by looking at your character's skin at night, especially near a light source. But this also affects the sharpness and definition of the appearance of everything in the game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BEEF SUPREME was my pawn first!
But fine, you can take the mantle.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
In the modding discord they're discovering the real reason the game runs like poo poo.

Tldr: there's no LOD for NPCs, monsters, etc--they get loaded in from an insane radius at max detail all the time, even if they're miles away and you're in a cave

Lol, lmao

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh my god...how does it even end up like that?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

not surprised that it's stupid, but surprised that it's this stupid lol

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

it's always something like this, lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's funny because this still makes killing every NPC to increase your FPS a valid tactic, just not for the reasons we thought

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How many of us named their pawns Beef Supreme lmao

Subjunctive posted:

friend me on steam (sbjnctv) so I can experience Beef Supreme!

also, even if you are mod-averse, I highly recommend this mod, which fixed a normal map compression error in the game. I can imagine Capcom issuing an update that fixes this, because it's so dumb and simple and makes everything look so much better:

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonsdogma2/mods/766?tab=description

Sick, will do lol

His public name is Bear :v:

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

In the modding discord they're discovering the real reason the game runs like poo poo.

Tldr: there's no LOD for NPCs, monsters, etc--they get loaded in from an insane radius at max detail all the time, even if they're miles away and you're in a cave

Lol, lmao

Real life doesn't have LOD either; not a bug

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

tell that to people who wear glasses

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ajkalan posted:

Real life doesn't have LOD either; not a bug

Itsuno's vision~

E: given what we know now it's a miracle this game runs at all

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 5, 2024

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Lol, lmao

this is loving incredible lmao, how the hell can my computer even run this poo poo

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Man, I can't stop playing. I've done just about everything there is to do, minus a handful of quests, but it's just so fun to load up the game, pick a direction, and have have a ramble with the lads and see where the day takes us. Still eternally thirsty for WLC though.

I've squeezed about all the enjoyment I could from the Captain America shield/punch style, so now I'm rolling with a crew of all archers, mostly so I can take revenge on the harpies that took so long to get into fist range.

Warfarer with Tempest Shot, Augural Flare and Recovery Arrow is a nicely balanced setup, and you don't even need a mage anymore. I'm going to switch out Flare for Aromatic resurgence and see if it turns my archer pawns into machineguns.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The LOD thing is dumb but that doesn't seem likely to be the root cause of the shittiest examples of performance, since GPU hardly seems to make a difference. The fact that it gets super garbagey in the cities regardless of what you're looking at and quickly improves as you leave town doesn't seem like an LOD issue to me, it seems like what everyone was originally saying including the devs themselves: too many NPCs to simulate. I can attest that I upgraded to a 7800X3D with no GPU upgrade and gained like 25fps in the cities.

Volte fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 6, 2024

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Vermain posted:

this is loving incredible lmao, how the hell can my computer even run this poo poo

I was actually surprised at how good the game runs on ps5. The way everyone spoke about it I expected a disaster but it runs pretty well. Now it’s even more amazing considering.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Volte posted:

The LOD thing is dumb but that doesn't seem likely to be the root cause of the shittiest examples of performance, since GPU hardly seems to make a difference. The fact that it gets super garbagey in the cities regardless of what you're looking at and quickly improves as you leave town doesn't seem like an LOD issue to me, it seems like what everyone was originally saying including the devs themselves: too many NPCs to simulate. I can attest that I upgraded to a 7800X3D with no GPU upgrade and gained like 25fps in the cities.

it’s very much a level of detail issue, but it’s probably as much about the simulation level of detail as it is about the mesh and texture and shader selection

I wonder if they do animation on the CPU, hmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

my speculation before was that the game is running some kind of weight-related physics simulation on various kinematic points for each actor, which is what enables stumbling over rocks, getting knocked over if you get whacked while walking on uneven terrain, pulling down large monsters if they're stumbling and enough weight is on a specific part of their body, etc. it allows for that very visceral feeling of movement, but that kind of fidelity is going to make any CPU chug like a steamboat when it's performing that calculation for 30+ NPCs every physics frame