Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Holo does not really hide or obfuscate how she feels about Lawrence at all it's all pretty much out in the open from the get go, and vice versa. The tension in the relationship instead comes from both of them being intimately aware of the disparity in their lifespans and how both of them don't know how they will be able to cross that bridge when they get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Nate RFB posted:

Holo does not really hide or obfuscate how she feels about Lawrence at all it's all pretty much out in the open from the get go, and vice versa. The tension in the relationship instead comes from both of them being intimately aware of the disparity in their lifespans and how both of them don't know how they will be able to cross that bridge when they get there.

That and they have two wildly different end goals. Holo, to return to her home in Yoitsu, and Lawrence to settle down somewhere in human lands and open a shop.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Hey, the guy said the line!

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Suleman posted:

I watched some of the old anime adaptation back in the day, but I didn't appreciate what seemed to be a pretty typical tsundere characterization for Holo. It didn't seem like an interesting personality for a 1000-year-old wolf demigod.

Is that a feature in the original novels and the new adaptation? It's honestly a bit of a dealbreaker.

The only real tsundere trait Holo has is that she has a tendency to not be direct about her feelings, but instead of I guess the typical tsundere dance it's more about her vast age and experience and love of teasing

I'll also just say it, Holo kind of enjoys being mean to an extent, though usually in the service of helping someone out

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Hey, the guy said the line!

It's like coming home

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

BearDrivingTruck posted:

The only real tsundere trait Holo has is that she has a tendency to not be direct about her feelings, but instead of I guess the typical tsundere dance it's more about her vast age and experience and love of teasing

I'll also just say it, Holo kind of enjoys being mean to an extent, though usually in the service of helping someone out

I never got around to watching Spice and Wolf way back in the day but I always got the feeling just through what other people had said that Holo was one of those taciturn and shy types, so when she came right out the gate being a mean teasing flirt I was completely shocked. Its a way better characterization than my preconceived notion though, especially for a romance.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I think Holo's behavior in the (new) anime has stayed pretty true to how it is in the LN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My main fear with this release was whether they were going to speed up the pacing since modern LN adaptations usually go through volumes in fewer episodes than they did 15 years ago, but at least the first arc it's been more or less 1:1 with every episode ending in the same places. Does not mean they will retain that pace all the way through but it's nice so far.