Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

mystes posted:

Oh come on what's the point of this thread if we aren't going to get into arguments about cookies?

i'm a fat man but idk why the dude can't live without it to the point where he hides it and gets weird about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ominous Jazz posted:

i'm a fat man but idk why the dude can't live without it to the point where he hides it and gets weird about it
Probably because it's a pitch for a hypothetical seinfeld episode but honestly I could see it being a real aita post

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

StrangersInTheNight posted:

one of the more annoying parts of my quick marriage in nyc was that I couldn't just go get the certificate and be done with it, you legally have to have a ceremony of some type where someone ordained to do so marries you & you sign the certificate in front of the world/god - basically, your witness

you literally can't just get the license at the courthouse and be done with it, they've made having the ceremony an inherent part of it legally 'counting' as a marriage, ugh.

yeah it sure does but

https://www.nycbar.org/get-legal-help/article/family-law/marriage-is-a-contract/

so loving stupid

they do offer allowing that ceremony at the city court house, but if you want to do it in one day, it means you have to get city clerk's office for the certificate early enough you can get through that line and then get into the second line for the ceremony process at the courthouse.

nope - to officiate weddings in nyc, you have to register with the office of the city clerk to officiate weddings and pay a fee, and then you are granted a govt officiant number. granted, the fee is only $15, it's more that it's a hassle and obviously, it's not an immediate process like the on-line ones.

so yea, in ny state you literally have to get a ceremony performed by someone who is registered in this system or the marriage is not considered legally valid. I was so incensed by learning that and it still pisses me off to this day. I ended up finding a registered officiant online paying them $200 to meet me and a couple of friends on a rooftop another friend had access to but really, I should not have had to. My partner & I should've been allowed to just sign the certificate at the city clerk's office and viola we're legally married.

have you considered that given how much a marriage can change the power dynamic between two people, maybe it's not something that needs to be setup such that two people can run off and just do on a whim? especially considering how long it can take to do a divorce? like i'm not saying you and your partner were doing it on a whim but i'm really failing to see the grievous inconvenience perpetrated on you by the government

also why did this marriage need to be done so quickly anyway that you had to pay some rando dipshit $200 rather than wait however long for one of your friends to get registered for $15?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
marriage is a bullshit concept (legally) and a pretty cool one outside of that.

edit: i do photography and shooting weddings sucks so much. so goddamn much.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I used to get constant emails at work asking if our students would shoot their wedding for free.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

oh jay posted:

Missing the math that shows they started dating when she was in high school.

That's a Seinfeld joke

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
This one is mostly notable for sounding like it was written by the main character from Sling Blade

AITAH for telling my cheating ex wife's parents that i don't give a gently caress about her anymore and she is not my problem?

quote:

Me and my ex wife (Mary) have been together for 7 years and married for 2. We waited to have babies cause we wanted first to be financially stable and after 2 years we started trying to have a baby. So a few months passed by when i caught her cheating on me. I immediatly told her that i wanted divorce and she went crazy trying to suggest couple therapy, to forgive her, to think wisely cause "everyone make mistakes" (her words) and all this type of bs but i was adamant on my decision and never forgave anyone for cheating in my life and never would. Our divorce was quick (thanks to a prenup) but unfortunetly very drammatic cause during the separation and even in court Mary wouldn't stop crying and begging me to think back at my decision. Fortunetly like i said it was quick and i always thank god for the idea of the prenup cause it avoided a lot of other drama and discussion. I still have everything and since she cheated on me i didn't have to pay her anything. The thing is that after i caught her cheating i tried my best to cut all contacts with her and to talk with her only through my lawyer and when finally the divorce was finalized i changed my number and house to avoid any unnecesary and useless drama.

3 years passed by and i'm still trying to recover cause it really hurted me deep and cause i really loved her but unfortunetly cheating is one of the few things i never forgave anyone but thanks to my therapist i'm slowly recovering and getting better.

Now the issue is this: after my divorce i didn't heard news from Mary so i didn't knew anything about her, her life and anything else and a few days ago i found out, reluctantly, that she had a big accident in the car and was hospitalized in serious conditions. I know this only because 2 days ago i bumped into Mary's parents in the supermarket and they immediatly told me this. (Even if i don't understand why) Then they said that it would be nice if i go to visit her at the hospital cause despise what happened between us Mary was always an important part of my life and i told them that i would never go to "visit" her cause Mary wasn't my problem anymore and i don't have to do anything for her. We started arguing and i clealry told them that i don't give a gently caress about Mary, her life and what she is doing cause she cheated on me breaking my trust and they always justified her cheating blaming me for what happened so she can go to hell and then i left.

They reached out to my parents and told them what happened and now my father and my sisters agrees with me while my mother is insisting that i was a huge rear end in a top hat cause Mary for how bad hurted me was always my ex-wife so a quick visit wouldn't change anything for me. My friends are divided on the issue so here i'm.

So folks of reddit AITAH?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

I used to get constant emails at work asking if our students would shoot their wedding for free.

But think of the exposure they would get!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The_Franz posted:

Think of the exposure these negatives are gonna get if you don't pay me

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Hughlander posted:

AITA for giving my fiance my ring back because he closed on a house without telling me?

Comments make the post of course...

Maybe it's a good thing that he's shown his colors since with my friends when they broke up their fiances still let them keep the ring to do with it what they wanted. Instead he complains I don't have money, yet keeps things of value from me.

Setting aside everything else in that post she is absolutely pissed he took the ring because she wanted to pawn it.

FMguru posted:

AITAH for telling my cheating ex wife's parents that i don't give a gently caress about her anymore and she is not my problem?

2 days ago i bumped into Mary's parents in the supermarket and they immediatly told me this. (Even if i don't understand why)

They just happened to be there. Total coincidence. Just a one of s kind cosmic accident.

Edit:

quote:

They reached out to my parents and told them what happened and now my father and my sisters agrees with me while my mother is insisting that i was a huge rear end in a top hat cause Mary for how bad hurted me was always my ex-wife so a quick visit wouldn't change anything for me.

I'll bet :10bux: the ex in-laws knew where he was because his mom told them.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 2, 2024

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The_Franz posted:

Exposure is something you die from.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ominous Jazz posted:

...you're allowed call fake when there's an actual punchline

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
My wife and I eloped to NY - went on holiday there from the UK; I planned it out, researched the licence bit, proposed on top of the Rockefeller building, then a few days later (during which we bought a ring and wedding apparel) we got married in the Shakespeare Garden in Central Park, just us, the officiant and photographer (who doubled as a witness).

Getting the licence was an adventure, as they had just legalised gay marriage, so the queue in City Hall was vast. It was fun though. We got interviewed about what we thought of the new law - obviously we thought it was fantastic - and chatted to some excited couples who could finally get married to each other. :3:

We also ate in Ellen's Stardust Diner on the day, in our wedding gear. Got a round of applause from the whole restaurant when we left, which was cute. We did then go and change (and consumate, if you must know).

Then we went and watched Captain America: The First Avenger in the cinema, because we are very cool.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

limp_cheese posted:

They just happened to be there. Total coincidence. Just a one of s kind cosmic accident.

Edit:

Do you think OP's mom knows exactly when they're going to be at the supermarket?

Does YOUR mom know when you're at the supermarket?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Splicer posted:

...you're allowed call fake when there's an actual punchline

i was blinded by crankiness

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

That's a Seinfeld joke

We're all making Seinfeld jokes here.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

limp_cheese posted:

Setting aside everything else in that post she is absolutely pissed he took the ring because she wanted to pawn it.

Edit:

this is a weird thing to say about a post that has the podunkiest small town vibes imaginable

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Lone Goat posted:

Do you think OP's mom knows exactly when they're going to be at the supermarket?

Does YOUR mom know when you're at the supermarket?

I'm assuming it was more like his mom said where his new house was, but they understood showing up there unannounced would look crazy suspicious so they instead asked where he shopped for groceries and set up an ambush there. Whether they followed him there that day or went there everyday looking for him is anyone's guess.

I'll admit I might be reading into it too much but for this thread it's absolutely possible I'm right.

Rockman Reserve posted:

this is a weird thing to say about a post that has the podunkiest small town vibes imaginable

That could be true too. I took his saying he moved to mean he left town.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

FMguru posted:

This one is mostly notable for sounding like it was written by the main character from Sling Blade

OMG they should be banned from keyboards

Also I feel for that other lady bc I also try to avoid buying anything from Nestle; they're a garbage company and it's not just the rainforest. Both Perrier and San Pell are owned by them, but I'm happy that they sold SweeTarts to Ferrara which is apparently a decent company. Though I wouldn't force my wife to go into Oreo-related hiding i mean i'm not crazy

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

well Oreos are owned by mondelez not nestle so yeah

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
drat what the hell were they even talking about? Newman-Os? Hydrox?

Nobody goes into hiding for Hydrox

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

captainOrbital posted:

drat what the hell were they even talking about? Newman-Os? Hydrox?

Nobody goes into hiding for Hydrox

Oh, they were definitely a kind of Newman-O

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Shanghaied posted:

My read is that the OP insists on being the co-owner of any house they buy. Which is not unreasonable in itself. The problem is that they also need to get a loan to buy a house, and pretty much every single bank is gonna require every single co-owner of a property to co-sign the loan. Except no bank is ever going to want to touch the OP, and her financial situation just continues to worsen.

That’s not the case always. Before my wife and I met she lost a house in the financial crisis and had poo poo credit. When we were married with a kid, we went to get a new house. The mortgage is entirely in my name here SSN was never on any paperwork. But because we are married and it is a marital asset. Her name is on the deed. I had asked our mortgage broker about this and it was required as it’s considered a joint asset regardless of the loan.

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

hawowanlawow posted:

this woman literally doesn't understand what money is, she is like a five year old throwing a tantrum at the toy store. every comment is the same with the same emotional reaction.

never should have had three kids

I was almost ESH on this one until I noticed something in her comments. My initial thought was that keeping your finances so completely separate from the mother of your children that she's taking on debt caring for your kids while you buy a couple houses is pretty reprehensible no matter how bad with money she is.

However, her comments seem to indicate that she treats every boyfriend like the Dad du jour. I don't think the fiancee is the father of her kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

BrideOfUglycat posted:

However, her comments seem to indicate that she treats every boyfriend like the Dad du jour. I don't think the fiancee is the father of her kids.
"I (44F) have been with my fiance (46M) for 13 years, and we have been engaged for 4, and have 3 kids (10F, 8F, 3F) together."