Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
The Utah New York FOOTBALL Giants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'd rather pay a little to Travis Green than a lot to Craig Berube honestly.

Berube isn't bad but he's a very generic NHL coach, which is not something that's going to make any difference in Ottawa. Green is bad, which in Ottawa, what the hell, it'll improve their lottery odds at least.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/sungarrioch/status/1787859939219681395

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

If the NHL is rigging lotteries, Celebrini will go to Utah. I don't think they are, though*. They probably would have made sure the Red Wings actually won one.

*except 2005

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

If the NHL is rigging lotteries, Celebrini will go to Utah.

Hell to the no. If they're going to rig lotteries they're going to do it for teams the TV networks want to see lots of.

The "sorry about lightly punishing you for sheltering a rapist" angle is what I talked about above that I do (unfortunately) believe that's real, but it's also about the Blackhawks were NBC's co-favorite team alongside the Penguins for years and years, and the league will make more money as a whole if they're back making deep playoff runs.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Anyway Berube was never going to go to Ottawa, he was just trying to get an offer to goose the price Toronto ends up paying him.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Pretty big indictment of the NHL that they can't find anybody to own their hockey teams that actually has money

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

If the NHL is rigging lotteries, Celebrini will go to Utah. I don't think they are, though*. They probably would have made sure the Red Wings actually won one.

*except 2005

Nah, if 05 was rigged, Rangers would have been the beneficiary

NHL didn't start rigging stuff until after McDavid

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

Pretty big indictment of the NHL that they can't find anybody to own their hockey teams that actually has money

I don't think it's that they can't find owners with money, the problem is that the team is in Ottawa and isn't going to make the new owner a big pile of money like it would in another market. Really, even Ryan Reynolds group got less and less interested the further into the process they got, and they bought a football club in Wales of all places (this is a joke about no one wanting to go to Wales).

The ownership group in Seattle does spend money, they just aren't really good at knowing where to spend it.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think I'd like to see San Jose win the lottery. Sure they nakedly tanked and all, but this is the first stretch in like 20 years they've really been a bad team and they seem to be going about the rebuild the right way, plus Celebrini is kiiiind of a hometown player if you squint. He played for the Jr. Sharks while his dad was director of sports medicine for the Golden State Warriors. More importantly it'd be a team that hasn't already had a top of top-5 picks in recent history, and it's not the Blackhawks.

Yeah, I would like if the Sharks won it. Columbus is the other team I'd be okay with.

I don't mind Anaheim as a team, but their cupboard seems pretty stocked with prospects right now.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Koopa Kid posted:

I think its just most owners dont think coaching is important for some reason. Remember when Ovechkin and the Caps finally won a cup under Barry Trotz and Leonsis didnt want to give him a raise and hired Reirden instead

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jhet posted:

I don't think it's that they can't find owners with money, the problem is that the team is in Ottawa and isn't going to make the new owner a big pile of money like it would in another market. Really, even Ryan Reynolds group got less and less interested the further into the process they got, and they bought a football club in Wales of all places (this is a joke about no one wanting to go to Wales).

The ownership group in Seattle does spend money, they just aren't really good at knowing where to spend it.

On the other hand, the Coyotes werent paying hotels

The Dirty Burger posted:

I think its just most owners dont think coaching is important for some reason. Remember when Ovechkin and the Caps finally won a cup under Barry Trotz and Leonsis didnt want to give him a raise and hired Reirden instead

I guess it is true that sums that feel like a rounding error for a teams overall budget can still mean a lot to ownership, the difference between a good coach salary and a cheap one is probably what, a couple million? But I guess most see coaches more like normal guys relative to the athletes that make the big bucks.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

Coaching is like goaltending, it's pretty fungible among the ~20-25 guys that are the best in the world at it, but if you don't have a good-enough one it's really painful.

What's harder to understand is why Jon Cooper, who is very obviously the best hockey coach in the world (or at least has been for the past decade), isn't making like $15M a year somewhere. A truly great coach is worth a lot more than that to a franchise and there is no cap on coach salaries.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Im worried that Berube would bury young players in favor of mediocre vets the same way Lindy did

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That's what almost every coach does.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

Hey if you're gonna pay big money on a coach how are you going to afford to give out four million a year forever to Korpisalo?

I shouldn't throw stones though given the Pens are sextupling down on their coach who hasn't done anything notable in six years

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Nah, if 05 was rigged, Rangers would have been the beneficiary

NHL didn't start rigging stuff until after McDavid

Edmonton ruined hockey for everyone.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://twitter.com/spelunky_/status/1787917174054494458/photo/1

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Good to know Chicago didnt win at least.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

I must have already forgot the Caps made the playoffs because my reaction was to get annoyed they weren't in that list.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

The highest pick the Coyotes ever had was #3 so Utah is already an improvement at #2.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Chicago having the second best odds is very concerning

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Did the NHL really just accidentally tweet out the whole draft lottery winning order before it happens tonight?

:psyduck:

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

Did the NHL really just accidentally tweet out the whole draft lottery winning order before it happens tonight?

:psyduck:

It was Buccigross lol but now they are walking it back and saying its just a rehearsal

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

This happens every year, somebody posts a picture of the board during rehearsals and twitter goes nuts.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Yeah I was about to say, I'm pretty certain I've seen this a few times before over the years. They never match up.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
its funny that the two new coaching hires of the cycle are Lindy Ruff and Travis Green. really going out of the comfort zone on these ones so far, fellas

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
Draw hasn't happened yet I believe

Does sportsurge have a stream of the results typically??

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://x.com/buccigross/status/1787924734937551285?s=46

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
https://twitter.com/AnaheimDucks/status/1787918540999377058

lol

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

It's obviously fake. Chicago isn't #1

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Furnaceface posted:

Edmonton ruined hockey for everyone.

Speaking as an Isles fan, yes. Yes they did.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
I really hope the Sharks get it. They've always been a fun, mostly non-evil franchise with great fans. San Jose/Silicon Valley/San Fran is obviously among the core epicenters of evil activity on Earth, but Celebrini sounds like a perfect guy for them to build around, and Lord do they need it. Chicago would be awful. If NJ gets it I think we'll see some mindboggling "Hischier + Nemec for Quinn Hughes" type deal which would be fun but god drat

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Travis Green got a 4-year contract lol

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

I really hope the Sharks get it. They've always been a fun, mostly non-evil franchise with great fans. San Jose/Silicon Valley/San Fran is obviously among the core epicenters of evil activity on Earth, but Celebrini sounds like a perfect guy for them to build around, and Lord do they need it. Chicago would be awful. If NJ gets it I think we'll see some mindboggling "Hischier + Nemec for Quinn Hughes" type deal which would be fun but god drat

Always liked the Sharks because teal is a cool color and Arturs Irbe had great pads

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Dirty Burger posted:

Travis Green got a 4-year contract lol

when you get a chance to lock up your runner-up to a reasonable contract, you have to take it

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

What time is the lotto? 7:30?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Honestly I wouldn't mind Chicago getting it. Now hear me out. Chicago is obviously evil and undeserving.

However, with the new rules they'd be ineligible to win the lottery for a few years after winning it this year, and that would mean no chance of them getting Gavin McKenna. Celebrini looks good but not like a world breaker or anything, so if Chicago does win it, whatever.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Celebrini is absolutely on the Matthews/Stamkos/Tavares A-tier of almost certain Hall of Famers if injuries don't derail them. I don't think the evidence is yet there that McKenna is on the Crosby/McDavid S-tier. If I wanted to help Chicago as much as possible I'd give them Celebrini with no hesitation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What time is the lotto? 7:30?

6:30 pm ET