Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Mandoric posted:

Retaining walls are more, in my experience, for making the most of tight space by strictly terracing switchbacks and the like. For big pit mines, it's easier to just let it all fall and not build that close to their edges.
Also remember that different materials have different spread rates, dirt and especially sand are fuckers but rock isn't that bad at all. I've got something I'm calling the transcontinental fail road going now, basically a 3-mining-tile-wide cross straight through the middle of the big mountain on Gold Coast, being worked by most of my excavator fleet for a century and about 1/3 of the way to breakthrough, with the idea of leveling the whole resourceless middle to 14 and having space for a megafactory adjacent to iron/copper/coal/quartz, and in the axis coming in from the narrow pass it's:

- a 6-tile run to account for the rise from heights 34-40, which are dirt: 45° slope
- only a 14-tile run to account for the rise from heights 14-34, which are rock and coal mix: 55° slope

Across the island, in the sand pits, I have an utterly terrible 10-tile run for the rise from -02 to +03--26.5°. That same -02 to +03 rise in the iron mines is only a 3 or 4 run, so somewhere in the 50s again.

So the greatest effect, if you did want to use them, would be doing them from the top down and dealing with the tendency of dirt or especially sand to slide.

And remember, you have to be very proactive, you can't dig or fill up to the wall, only place it in such a way that everything outside collapses away when dug even further below.

But maybe (tl note: probably) I'm just using them completely wrong.
You can still emergency place them, after you get the collapse warning. If you see those red stripes at the bottom of the wall, throw another tier down ASAP. Unfortunately the building placement is fiddly and it can be a single excavator scoopful between allowed and not allowed so I end up pausing, placing, and then unity autodeliver to prevent disaster. That's what I did to build the wall in the first screenshot.

I agree in general, don't use walls unless you need to - just let it fall and don't have stuff too near the top edge. I'm not a wall expert and I've not done switchbacks yet so maybe there are pro techniques I am missing. One thing not mentioned is you can fit 2 tiers in a single mining square if the top one is on the "back" side. This is relevant because you can't mine a square where a wall is.

Here's an example of what I did with that giant coal mine on gold peak.

I built a ramp on coal, making walls as I go because I foolishly built way, way too close to the mine. This was a lot of pause-build hassle every time I scooped near it.

Once I hit the bottom I filled in a new ramp with slag and rock and then mined out the old ramp because it was made of coal.

Once I got all the coal I was willing to go for, it's time to fill it in.

Deconstruct the walls as stuff becomes level enough.

Finally, flatten it out and remove all the walls for usable space:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Haul truck question. The descriptions say that the dump truck can only carry 'loose' items, and the haul tanker can only carry liquid and gas. Does that mean I have to keep a bunch of smaller trucks to carry 'flat' items, or can the Dump truck carry things like iron plates?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

The Locator posted:

Haul truck question. The descriptions say that the dump truck can only carry 'loose' items, and the haul tanker can only carry liquid and gas. Does that mean I have to keep a bunch of smaller trucks to carry 'flat' items, or can the Dump truck carry things like iron plates?

You still need small trucks for flat stuff.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Enigma posted:

You still need small trucks for flat stuff.

Bummer, thanks.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Rolling up to the Storage with 36 tons of delicate Electronics and throwing the lever to hoist the bed, ignoring the screams and smashing noises as everything tumbles out.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

LonsomeSon posted:

Rolling up to the Storage with 36 tons of delicate Electronics and throwing the lever to hoist the bed, ignoring the screams and smashing noises as everything tumbles out.

Says here on the manifest that you ordered a dump truck full of appliances? Look man, I just follow the work order, take it up with the boss!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I was driving down the turnpike a few years ago and passed a dump truck full of … celery. Not packaged or anything, just a big old truck full of celery. Made sense I guess, but it was weird.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Ok this all made me think: I’d like to be able to, say, assign one truck to handle only Loose Food jobs, for instance. IDK why you’d want that particularly, the idea is to be able to group jobs, or structures for purposes of job assignments.

I guess a better example is that right now I’ve got dump trucks assigned directly to output storages, from mines and import, because More Space on the end of the island I’m using is my only real shortage.

There’s three Rock silos and my Gold silo working like this atm and it would be great to be able to group them together and assign their trucks to them collectively, so I don’t have one guy waiting around for Rock when there’s two truckloads of Gold standing by. We really loving need space to put down all the advanced nuclear fuel reprocessing next to the reactors, so I can take one offline and convert it to an FBR with stupor steam!

You could have a truck squadron which just handles settlement goods, doing the opposite thing: accepting some downtime from the specific assignment so that you can know gaps will be filled immediately when they happen.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Sometimes, I load up CoI and decide I want to play Dwarf Fortress.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Mandoric posted:

Sometimes, I load up CoI and decide I want to play Dwarf Fortress.

I mentioned some time back in this thread I think - I kinda wish there was a mode where I could just play digging simulator and see what cool stuff I can do with them without needing to worry about keeping everything else running.

On trucks, I wish they were smarter about job assignments. I let a couple of dump trucks loose in the wild, not assigned to a mine, and noticed one of them driving around almost empty. I finally figured out that I had my compactor set to accept truck shipments, and the intake storage not set to 'keep full', so that was the root cause and was easily fixed, but I had 60+ regular yellow trucks, but no, it was the mega dump truck that was shuttling recyclables 24 at a time to fill the intake of the compactor, where there were plenty of stone/dirt fill jobs that would have had it taking entire loads. lol.

Of course, that did let me find the problem with my recyclable compactor intake.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
While on the topic of fiddly-little-things, I'd like to be able to tell excavators to dump their buckets if they don't have a full load. You get a perfect tempo going with t2's 20 unit bucket into pickups or t3's 60 unit bucket into trucks, but that only lasts until the first time a smaller truck pulls up to them or there aren't 60 units of material in a tile, then they spend the rest of their life dumping the half-scoop they hold, taking a full scoop, dumping from that to finish off the transport, ending up holding half,...

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Do I need to keep Radioactive Waste Storage sites running/staffed once they're full or can I pause them?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Do I need to keep Radioactive Waste Storage sites running/staffed once they're full or can I pause them?

Wiki says you can pause, can't confirm from experience but it wouldn't make much sense for it to not to (then it wouldn't decay outside of proper storage? But if it's not decaying it's not irradiating the environs and where does the impetus to use the specific building come from?)

The Locator posted:

I mentioned some time back in this thread I think - I kinda wish there was a mode where I could just play digging simulator and see what cool stuff I can do with them without needing to worry about keeping everything else running.

TBH my current run goes heavily into this philosophy, and it kinda works. If food/water/unity are positive slopes, trees are being farmed, and energy needs are being met by huge deposits or the offshores that last centuries, you really don't have to push, or indeed pay much attention while the clock ticks over--every ten or twenty years I find the one thing I thought was perfectly balanced but instead has a deficit of ten or so units a year, fix it, and move on, and the big expansion will come when the mountain's flattened.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

The impetus to use the nuclear product storage bunker is you can only store nuclear products with those buildings, I think.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
There's always nice long belt trips!

Actually, this has me thinking again about a) a labor theory of CoI value and b) a caloric theory of CoI economics; in raw mats the 150 steel 500 concrete/340 const2 640 rubber trade, or broken down even further the 45 iron vs. 140 concrete, 255 wood, 320 copper, 720 rubber, trade is obviously in favor of the storage as it should be, but I'd like to know exactly how and why.

Labor's of course going to be tetchy for the obvious reasons much smarter people than I have spent their lifetimes on re: describing socially necessary labor against a backdrop of increasing mechanization and the cost of social reproduction against a backdrop of increasingly efficient farming, but the caloric half should be a rote solution given that the ratios of steam to mechanical energy, steam to heat, and mechanical energy to electricity all stay steadyish (might be weirdness around small vs. large diesel generators?)

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 6, 2024

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mandoric posted:

There's always nice long belt trips!

Actually, this has me thinking again about a) a labor theory of CoI value and b) a caloric theory of CoI economics; in raw mats the 150 steel 500 concrete/340 const2 640 rubber trade, or broken down even further the 45 iron vs. 140 concrete, 255 wood, 320 copper, 720 rubber, trade is obviously in favor of the storage as it should be, but I'd like to know exactly how and why.

Labor's of course going to be tetchy for the obvious reasons much smarter people than I have spent their lifetimes on re: describing socially necessary labor against a backdrop of increasing mechanization and the cost of social reproduction against a backdrop of increasingly efficient farming, but the caloric half should be a rote solution given that the ratios of steam to mechanical energy, steam to heat, and mechanical energy to electricity all stay steadyish (might be weirdness around small vs. large diesel generators?)

Mandoric posted:

I'm in the diesel-to-hydrogen transition on my current save, and I'd definitely be careful about full conversion right away--the apparent decent sources of hydrogen before nukes and unlimited electrolysis are all refining diesel production byproducts. Best to keep a balance, unless I'm missing something critical.

When you have access to superheated steam, even just from electric boilers with nukes never mind a breeder reactor, then you can go hog wild without worrying about flaring hundreds of diesel to keep the line going.

e:
Reactor I semi-closed-system production: 1.5 uranium rods + 800KW (counting the electricity you don't get, 90.8MW) = 396 hydrogen, 229.3KW per hydrogen + 1.5 spent fuel. Reactor II: 2 MOX rods + 4MW (counting the electricity you don't get, 124MW) = 540 hydrogen, 229.6KW (so slightly less efficient than Reactor 1!) per hydrogen + 2 spent MOX rods. Breeder: 4 core fuel = 1.15K hydrogen (208.7KW per) + 4 spent core fuel.

Electrolysis process, 3.6MW = 12 hydrogen, 300KW per hydrogen, plus hugely more space-intensive, at a time when electricity is far more dear to boot.

e2: there is probably a very good endgame production analysis in valuing everything by watts-to-produce. Including labor, to be honest.

I think before you endeavor to start measuring and comparing, you should look into reducing your variables by converting down to watts like you thought before. Without establishing a common value for every input, you're going to have a miserable time making any judgements. But it's complex as hell because you've got to follow the path of pretty much every resource back to coal and water (the two most basic inputs to power), and the only reason I haven't given it a shot myself is the complexity of relationships for even something like "an iron plate" is wild.

Some things are easier to measure than others I think (things that directly compete for steam like the production of hydrogen, and things that are direct byproducts of that process) but what is the opportunity cost in MW of making Household Goods? The sum of the opportunity cost in MW hours of Glass, Wood, and Steel, plus that of maintenance for a given level of tech...

There's a good reason economists most often use monetary value as their proxy for this--with COI we're functionally trying to create prices from nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Warmachine posted:

I think before you endeavor to start measuring and comparing, you should look into reducing your variables by converting down to watts like you thought before. Without establishing a common value for every input, you're going to have a miserable time making any judgements. But it's complex as hell because you've got to follow the path of pretty much every resource back to coal and water (the two most basic inputs to power), and the only reason I haven't given it a shot myself is the complexity of relationships for even something like "an iron plate" is wild.

Some things are easier to measure than others I think (things that directly compete for steam like the production of hydrogen, and things that are direct byproducts of that process) but what is the opportunity cost in MW of making Household Goods? The sum of the opportunity cost in MW hours of Glass, Wood, and Steel, plus that of maintenance for a given level of tech...

There's a good reason economists most often use monetary value as their proxy for this--with COI we're functionally trying to create prices from nothing.

The problem with purely caloric (or wattage, but both for authenticity to physics reasons and that watts through diesel are likely to be the iffiest of those three measures) theories of value is conversely that, especially in CoI, labor-days produce a variable but internally specific wattage (in the early game shifting around based on exactly how far coal has to be hauled but later quite formally scalable to uranium mining-rate) while wattage produces an extremely variable labor-days-equivalent (especially because balanced food is a unity rather than a pop generator, while IRL unity doesn't exist and satisfied pops produce fewer pops, but also just because robo-assys have limited recipe books.)
I mean, at the end of the day you can go centuries if you want to in Fallout Mode where no one's moving that skeleton from the apocalypse away from the kitchen table, just dig dig dig as soon as you can get diesel somehow. You can't go a tick without someone there to staff the boiler. What ultimately limits your spread rate is continually supporting food/water/sewage/luxury needs of your housing, because your housing is the only non-negotiable (even roboassy 2s hooked to server farms need those farms to be staffed,) so that has to be the primary bar. And at the minimum, a lot of big unprocessed resources have a hard labor-per-unit target of, uh, whatever rate the world-map mines work at.