Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I don't own a TV, and i do not pay for any subscription streaming services. so a lot of the threads here i don't know much about, i didn't spend time watching tv shows so I can't contribute to the discussion. I'll watch a really good show on occassion (most recently The Rehearsal) but since there's not much worth watching, i just pirate those shows when they arise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Have you ever seen Star Trek? Which series do you like best.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i've only seen the tng edits made by the homestuck author and their brother

edit: so the one where data blows up the ship after seeing the muscle horse cock painting

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29-iFOEOgIM

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
wait so if you already know how to pirate shows then why does not owning a television or subscribing to streaming services matter at all

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Farg posted:

I don't own a TV, and i do not pay for any subscription streaming services. so a lot of the threads here i don't know much about, i didn't spend time watching tv shows so I can't contribute to the discussion. I'll watch a really good show on occassion (most recently The Rehearsal) but since there's not much worth watching, i just pirate those shows when they arise.

I do the same, OP. It's ironic that all the streaming services doing weird poo poo actually incentivizes you to keep a Smaug's hoard of teevee crap on whatever devices you own, since it can be gone in a moment's notice.

Also we've had this conversation in like three threads this week, but people have had weird problems with streaming shows being super-dark and unwatchable for years now, but illegal watchers seem to be fine across the board. Yes, okay, know your devices, etc., but if an average goon can't work that out, try explaining the settings menu (which changes as the device updates) to your mom or pop.

I'm old enough that I had a fairly large collection of stuff I taped on VHS from shows and movies as they aired, curating them to keep the ads out. All of that went in the trash when no one in the family no longer had a device to play the dang cassettes. It just seems like the lesson is, store your own poo poo, it ain't gonna be around forever.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
do you have some terrible internet connection that limits how much you can download or something

edit: you as in the OP not as in the person who got in a post right before i hit post

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Rappaport posted:

I'm old enough that I had a fairly large collection of stuff I taped on VHS from shows and movies as they aired, curating them to keep the ads out.

My dad did that occasionally, I remember we had a few compilation tapes of like cartoons and Star Trek on one of the longer-running modes that were just packed full of episodes

Also he had a second VCR for some reason (think he was an early adopter in the late 70s and then he got a more modern one in the late 80s?) so when we went to the rental store if there were movies I kept wanting to re-rent he'd make a copy. I think most of our home video library was pirated lol

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I had the full original airing of the Finnish-subtitled Babylon 5 on tape in there. Given that a guy in the Bab-5 thread is posting about comics and figurines, someone might actually care about that poo poo. Just all down the drain when VHS became untenable for the family :eng99:

Also, Space: 1999! I loved that poo poo, and it aired on a weird small regional channel, so it was always kind of exciting to try and tape it. That's just not the same as hitting "go" on a season pack of a torrent.

edit: Somewhat ironically, I own bought DVD versions of both Space: 1999 and Babylon 5, but the point stands, maybe

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 29, 2024

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

wait so if you already know how to pirate shows then why does not owning a television or subscribing to streaming services matter at all

well basically other people pay money for them because they need them (week willed, etc.) and i dont

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

These days a television is a computer specialized for large living space digital video/console gaming output that can sometimes double as a castable second monitor, and there's plenty of content available on free streaming services even before considering the high seas so "I don't even own a TV" isn't half the :smuggo: flex it used to be.

The op sure is adorable for trying though, like a 60-year-old punk waving a BU$H IS NOT MY PRESIDENT sign at a Trump protest. You go get 'em, grandpa!

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 29, 2024

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Doesn't even work in the UK anymore for tv licences, if you know who littlefinger is, YOU PAY NOW

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farg posted:

well basically other people pay money for them because they need them (week willed, etc.) and i dont

i guess what confused me is you seemed to present not owning a tv or streaming subscription as being the reason why you don't know about many tv shows, yet since you can pirate stuff there's not really any obstacle at all to you watching whatever you want

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

McSpanky posted:

These days a television is a computer specialized for large living space digital video/console gaming output that can sometimes double as a castable second monitor, and there's plenty of content available on free streaming services even before considering the high seas so "I don't even own a TV" isn't half the :smuggo: flex it used to be.

I quit owning a TV in the mid-00's I think, and it definitely isn't a "thing" today as much as it was back then. Like, the Finnish national broadcasting company theoretically lets me stream every single thing they air, live or after the fact, they're just very allergic to VPNs. That's literally more television than I could watch daily. It might not all be interesting, but all the same.

I also don't own a smart phone, so I can't watch teevee on the shitter like civilized people apparently do, but just having a computer at my disposal means having theoretical access to all the stupid streaming services with their Schrödinger's catalogues of shows.

I guess the only thing that keeps :filez: folks sort of in the dark is that you're not being pushed stuff by The Algorithm, so I have to do things like read this sub-forum to hear about some shows, but this isn't exactly a major problem.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
You don't own a smart phone? Ooh la la. Gather round everyone, time to look at the HERO

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Farg posted:

You don't own a smart phone? Ooh la la. Gather round everyone, time to look at the HERO

It's not exactly a brag at this point, it's starting to have actual real-world negative effects like public transport being slightly harder to use and everything assuming you have a GPS map in your hand. Not owning a TV never had auxiliary effects like that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rappaport posted:

It's not exactly a brag at this point, it's starting to have actual real-world negative effects like public transport being slightly harder to use and everything assuming you have a GPS map in your hand. Not owning a TV never had auxiliary effects like that.

Not to mention that constant access to social media has increasingly apparent negative effects on both individual and social health. Having the unholy spawn of gambling addiction and parasocial relationships a few screen taps away at all times (to say nothing of the actual value of the content) is the Torment Nexus of human interaction.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
phones connect you to the world around you. unlike vegging out in front of the boob tube

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I didn't know they still made dumb selfowns

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Can someone come over and attach the two wires to my huge TV antenna on the chimney? It got ripped off in a storm about 10 years ago. Unless I can just see local TV from an internet for free too? As long as it is in glorious 1080i.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Even basic jobs will assume you can download a scheduling app at this point, you ain't wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Farg posted:

I don't own a TV,

Yeah well I own two, so between the two of us we both own an average of 1 TV.

Sorry, but it's maths.